Cyberverse BAF Deluxe Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Dec 16, 2019.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    PROS
    -Highly poseable (see first picture)
    -Best representation of the character so far
    -Blast effects
    -Chest doors with matrix inside
    -Gun storage on the back in robot mode
    -Backpack detailing (makes it look like some kind of jetpack)
    -Cool new torso transformation, with the wheel panels and bumper halves that fold under the arms and the headlights that fold inside the chest

CONS
    -Small (4'' long in truck mode, 5'' tall in robot mode)
    -Thin plastic
    -Hollow legs (I know the feet flip inside the back of the legs in truck mode, but panels could have solved the issue)
    -Gas tanks could have folded inside the back of the legs

I don't care for the BAF part, so I'll let someone else review it later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  2. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Soviet borf comrade

News Credits:
    Where'd you get it?

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    TRU (in Canada)

4. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Soviet borf comrade

News Credits:
    Oh, cool!

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for this review! This looks like a really cool Deluxe sized Optimus, would be interested to pick him up. It's a shame to hear about the plastic, though.

6. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just got mine, and I like it. It's a fun little desk toy, although I would prefer if the joints were a little tighter. I'm hoping they continue with this line. It's what we should've started with.

7. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw the entire Wave 1 line at Target yesterday. I looked at them, laughed at the insane $20 price for a garbage toy in a fancy box, and left them all on the shelf. The plastic looked cheap, the paint was terrible, and Prime's wheels looked like they belong on a Scout Class toy. These are less than RID Warrior quality for the same price as a Siege Deluxe. Which are themselves questionable at $20.

These toys are your future representation of quality for mainline releases. If you want Siege quality, the price will probably go to $30 for a deluxe next year.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz :)

News Credits:
    Really fun figure, great articulation, good transformation, nice truck mode, very show accurate.
    20200109_222719.jpg

20200109_222812.jpg

20200109_213745.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just found one today and he's pretty neat, though I think the thin plastic and small size hold him back from greatness. His transformation and articulation are neat and I really dig his weapon storage in both modes. Him being able to tow the Cyberverse trailer from last year's release is a nice touch too.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Boy, after one round of transforming back and forth there's already stress marks on both of Prime's calf tabs and one of his elbows. I know when you gotta cost-cut you're gonna cost cut but this thin plastic makes a $20 price tag hard to swallow.

• Like Like x 3
  11. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

Besides the CHPS, which is not news at this point, he looks pretty good.

I actually like him, really good articulation, has a matrix, blast effects, and even a place for holding the gun.

Will collect this line.

• Like Like x 1
  12. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. So much this.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Just got this guy and I’m pretty disappointed. While Bumblebee from the line is actually a nice figure with a solid build and tight joints, this one retains the cheap junky feel of previous Cyberverse toys, mostly because of the awful legs. The legs need panels like Bumblebee has. As they are they’re identical to those dollar store Evergreen Transformers. Worst of all is the severely limited hips which can only move forward about 30 degrees. This can be worked around by detaching the pelvis and using a transformation hinge but it doesn’t look the best. He does have ankle tilt so it’s not all bad below the waist.

Other than that he looks good and the transformation works well.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The hip problem can be easily rectified by dislodging the crotch from the torso assembly. It sort of gives him an ab crunch, but you can also angle the crotch a little forward and gave the hips pretty close to 90 degrees forward swinging.

I like this figure, but did have to tighten the ball joints. He is a step down from how Shockwave is constructed, but he's one of the best deluxe Primes we've gotten.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I think this dude might be the best of the bunch. The others have wrist mushroom pegs but he has balljoints. Had more fun getting poses out of him then the other 3. Dunno why.

Waiting over 2 seasons for some well articulated Cyberverse does things to a man.

This thing...
    O Prime BAF (1).JPG

IS DUMB!
    O Prime BAF (2).JPG

O Prime BAF (4).JPG O Prime BAF (5).JPG O Prime BAF (6).JPG O Prime BAF (9).JPG O Prime BAF (11).JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Smores

O Prime BAF (16).JPG O Prime BAF (17).JPG O Prime BAF (19).JPG O Prime BAF (20).JPG O Prime BAF (27).JPG O Prime BAF (21).JPG O Prime BAF (28).JPG

O Prime BAF (12).JPG O Prime BAF (15).JPG O Prime BAF (27).JPG O Prime BAF (23).JPG O Prime BAF (25).JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Lets get the FX parts thing out of the way first... I hate it. Ever since I first saw pictures of it I always thought this was the worst one of the bunch. I'm never going to use these parts. So lets move on to the actual figure.

Head is on a ball joint. Shoulders are on a ball joint though the actual joint is so deep into the shoulder that it moves more like the forward/backward and outward movement are on different hinges rather than a single ball joint that does both. You can also use the transformation hinge if you want more range in the shoulders. Bicep swivel, hinged elbows. The wrists are ball jointed which means the transformation doesn't prevent him from having wrists. With most figures this size when the hand folds into the arm as part of the transformation it ends up having no wrist because of that transformation hinge but having the hand on a ball joint rather than a hinge that can only move in one direction allows it to work as both a transformation hinge and a wrist. There's a waist swivel due to transformation but it works. Ball joint hips, a swivel just above the knee, deep knee bend, the ankles tilt back due to transformation and there's a side tilt though that seems to be hindered on the right foot only due to the extra bit of plastic on that leg for the FX part to plug into in vehicle mode. So far this is the only figure in the BAF set where the gimmick hinders articulation but since it's a minor thing and still has better articulation that previous figures released for Cyberverse did I'll let that slide.

I don't normally get into detail but I kinda have to for this one because it's part of his gimmick. The Matrix of Leadership is molded and painted really well. I wish there was a light up feature with it because it's really hard to make out the blue in the center because of how deep that is as it's also the peg hole for the FX part but that is molded and painted in there as well. I also wish the Matrix could be removed but it is just molded in there. Still it looks really nice. There's also molding on his back which I wasn't expecting. That could of just a hollow panel but nope there's some molded into detail there. I don't know what it's suppose to be. I haven't paid that much attention to the animation model to see if that's a detail he has in the show. It's just some random tech details but it looks nice instead of just being a panel folded onto his back it's actually adding detail to the robot mode.

Oh and his gun can also be stored on that panel if you don't want him holding it.

The transformation is very much "G1 Optimus" there's a few new tricks to make it work but the basics are the same. My favorite thing is the way they handled the different shapes between the front of his truck mode and the torso of the robot mode. The design of his headlights also remind a lot of Animated Optimus Prime.

The truck mode looks more solid in person than I've seen it in some photos. I think a lot of the pictures actually have him mistransformed resulting in a lot of gaps showing but if you have everything lined up and pegged in correctly there really aren't any gaps in the vehicle mode. It's all pretty solid looking. There are some gaps around the shoulders but that's basically it... I've seen some photos that made it look like it was going to be a lot worse that that and it is if you don't line everything up and peg it in properly.

Now I actually have the Spark Armor version as well and I think that's the one I'm going to keep on my shelf just because I have him displayed with the armor on. However if we're comparing the two just as a base figure... I'm liking this Optimus a lot more than I thought I would. I mean I don't really care that much what the back of the figure looks like and that's why it doesn't bother me that the Spark Armor figure has a giant panel just hanging out on his butt. That said I know it's something that might bother other people and I have a harder time recommending the Spark Armor figure to other people because of that. There's also the fact that this figure is just more fun to transform than the other one, the transformation doesn't cheat as much and yet is actually easier to do than the simpler figure with the giant grill on his butt.

If we're comparing them based on their gimmicks I actually prefer the Spark Armor over the dumb FX parts but you might prefer the FX parts because you can do more with them. I just don't like how they look and it's entirely subjective as to which one you're going to prefer. But looking at the actual base figure on it's own merits, the BAF figure is clearly the better toy and I can more easily recommend it than I can the Spark Armor figure. Even though I like that figure I recommend it with a disclaimer at the end while this one I don't feel needs any sort of disclaimer tagged on.

Side note... I've now started connecting some of the Maccadam pieces. The hand that came with Optimus is sitting by itself though because out of 4 figures that I own so far this is the only one that can't be connected right now. I had previously gotten Megatron and Shockwave. Today I picked up Optimus and Bumblebee. So I have a complete torso with one leg all connected together... and this floating hand...

I kinda wish that the parts would get released in an order where all the parts can be connected as soon as you get them... like I'm worried about loose parts getting lost before I can complete the figure. I didn't mention this before when I had an upper torso and a leg but those are larger parts I don't really worry about those so much but this part of an arm I got here is rather small and I just want the upper arm piece right now so I can attach it to the body and keep everything together. I don't like having this small floating part just sitting here until I can track down the rest of the figures in this set. So far I have liked all the figures in this set, some of them more than I thought I was going to, and this is actually the biggest complaint I have right now is not having a way to keep all of Maccadam's pieces together while I'm still in the process of building him.

Side note since no one has mentioned this yet and it's not in the instructions... Due to the way the gun stores in vehicle mode that port can still be accessed in vehicle mode allowing you to put an FX part there to replicated the jump Optimus did in the 86 movie.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    So, I was making a quick grocery shopping run this morning and I realized I was about $15 short of hitting a reward with 8 days left, so I visited the toy aisle and decided to give Cyberverse Optimus a real chance. There is a fun-ness to this class that I admire. I enjoy the transformation, it's a very dynamic figure with a good amount of articulation, there's a lot to like here going on.

I'll admit, without it being in the instructions, I ended up looking up a video to figure out how to store the gun in alt mode. It also took an uncomfortable amount of force to get the matrix doors open that first time. I also ended up futuring the hip joints just to be sure, then did the shoulders just because I was already futuring some of the joints, so now he's super tight.

Anyway, I love the nostalgic transformation and how well he poses and articulates.

Cyberverse Prime Matrix.jpg Cyberverse Optimus Lunging.jpg Cyberverse Optimus flight stand.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think this figures is going to win over any elitist collectors out there, but it's still just a fun and dynamic figure.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Gobot in disguise

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Initial impressions:
    It's certainly a deluxe optimus.
    That's certainly an effects part.
    Nice enough little blaster.
    Ohey, matrix.

After transforming first few times:
    The scheme is okay.
    Ball jointed hands are nice.
    He's got 3 fingers and I don't know how to feel about that.
    Man this plastic... yeah, this ain't great.
    I had to file down the bits with his calf connectors because yeah that developed stress QUICK.
    I really wish "add a dab of polish or glue to joints" wasn't a trend these days.
    The way the legs peg in truck mode has me iffy.
    Son of a -- there's stress on the socket in his head.

Summary: I went into this figure figuring he'd be crap -- which at the end of the day he really kinda is -- but there's a sliver of potential if you (like myself) have a bit of that customizing spirit in ya. If you don't, then you should probably get the armada "bendy" prime or the wfc/foc deluxe primes instead.

Edit: fun fact, his torso is held together by two screws in his back. I just went in and shaved down a clip, now his head won't stress as much from me folding it in for transformation.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020