Cyberverse BAF Deluxe Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by openchallenge, May 9, 2020.

1. openchallenge

openchallenge Skims over derails about scale

First off the paint on my copies crown is scuffed, it looks ok in hand but it doesn't stand up in macro photography so I'm leaving it out.

My only problem with the figure is that the thigh swivels are tight enough to cause the hip ball sockets to inadvertently pop off. This can Happen A LOT while you are figuring out the transformation. Once you know how things should be oriented and learn how to get the leg panels clear of some joints it's a lot more avoidable.

Besides that I think the figure is awesome.

CVDLXGRIMLOCK2004.JPG CVDLXGRIMLOCK2003.JPG CVDLXGRIMLOCK2001.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto on the thigh swivels being too tight for the hip sockets. That and some aspects of the transformation involve a bit of wrestling to get all sides of a part tabbed in. For looks, it seems like the most screen-accurate version of Cyberverse Grimlock to me (either mode) in proportion, though it comes off kinda small, being a deluxe-size toy, and on the short side of that. Has just about the most innovative take on the "Standard Grimlock Transformation" I've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have handled a few stinkers in my day, but this one is easily the "king". I can not believe just how awful this figure is to try to transform. Neither leg stays on, with one literally falling off with any movement at all. The mushroom pegs are so tight that they even swivel out of socket! Can NOT line up the sides without the legs falling off...
    Yeah, back to Amazon this thing goes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I got one from Amazon too because I like the design, mine oddly enough has no issues with the ball joints being loose. They’re all nice and tight, transformed him without instructions first time and nothing popped off or came loose. The shoulders especially are really nice and tight. I’m thinking there must be a second run of these with improved tolerances.

63645D24-EFAA-4A3D-99C5-2015D8D3220B.jpeg 246D70C5-2400-4773-82D3-F4E744D70EDC.jpeg

Effect part is nice but doesn’t really work as a handheld weapon in robot mode. Crown is pretty bad and the BAF part is just that, a part to a whole I will never bother to finish. I do wish he could bend his knees in dinosaur mode but he gets by enough on virtue of having an interesting transformation.

4B0304D1-9AEF-4454-BFD1-DAEC2AD273F2.jpeg E7DF11CF-2846-4560-A87A-F14F0A630BF0.jpeg

I dig him a lot but I don’t plan on picking up any other Cyberverse deluxes outside of Thunderhowl. $20 feels a little high for these, I’d gladly give up the effect part and BAF piece to bring them down to $15.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If anyone has the BAF parts from this guy and Hot Rod and don't want em, I'll totally take em off your hands!

6. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have yet to transform this once without the right leg popping off. I may have a higher opinion of BAF Grimlock if it wasn't for that one problem but as it stands wave 2 Cyberverse deluxes are such a disappointment considering how much better wave 1 was.

7. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    Been modding mine, loosening the thighs, cleaning up mismatch, tryin to make the crown look less derpy in bot mode, got him close to where I want him to be, I actually like grimlock the most out of the deluxes so far, hopefully thunderhowl is good too 8BE00D0A-CE15-4D81-9428-E939E2B29C9B.jpeg DA85A791-DB90-4871-B360-4E319775EB85.jpeg 8D91A4D8-77B2-4566-BDFE-8015FE767752.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    20200530_201602.jpg Just got him from the wif . I like.crown is a bit big. I have no use for the baf piece

9. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Got him last night. The transformation is neat, but the legs like to pop off. It was also hard to get the bottom leg to tab into the neck and stay connected. It caused some stress marks once I did get it to stay.

10. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    The only reason I would ever consider the Deluxe would be for the Maccadam/Alchemist Prime piece. I would then sell the figure and get the Ultimate Class Grimlock.

41385D0A-347F-4352-8E02-48676603D2E3.jpeg

11. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl Koruption_Kosplay

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Just like Hot Rod im in love with this guy. His bot mode is just so dam accurate! I honestly getbsuch Animated vibes from all these deluxes since theyre so on model to the show and i love it! Even with all their little imperfections, i just think that makes them all the more interesting. Grimlock though is the star between him and hot rod. His transformation is a great twist on the classic transformation scheme and i love how his Dino mode looks so powerful in the legs! I do wish his elbows worked a little differently so he could have Dino knees but he still looks good just standing there. And my god the Crown is prolly my favorite accessory on him, i love how it looks so goofy in robot mode but fits his dino mode to a T! Overall i really enjoy this guy and the rest of the Deluxes. If no more come out then this will be a nice little set of figures to have pulled together but dang if im not missing Windblade in this set.

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

So this is a first for me... this figure came out of the package with no twist ties, rubber bands, or anything at all holding him into the package. I just had to pull him out of the plastic tray he came in. I point this out cause my dad and I use to joke that the easier it is to get the figure out of the package it usually means they're cheaply made knock offs. Cause the last time I got a figure with no twist ties at all it literally was a cheap knock off. But this is an official figure and for some reason Hasbro has just been using less and less twist ties in recent years.

It doesn't feel cheap, there are some hollow parts to accommodate transformation but other than that he feels pretty solid. His upper legs are comically small though. Like everything else is freaking huge and then these TINY little legs. I looked at images of his animation model and other figures and his upper legs are the smallest part of his body but not like this, pretty much any of his other figures would be more proportionately accurate than this one.

The head is on a ball joint... unlike most figures this guy actually has a molded in neck below the ball joint so while nothing is really hindering his articulation being in the way it does look really awkward in most poses when you can see a gap between his neck and his head. The shoulders are on a ball joint and the wings on his back can freely hinge out of the way. I like to have them at a slight angle anyway so they're not really in the way but the way he comes packaged and how he's pictured shows those wings flat against his back. You can display him that way if you want to but you will need to fold them back to use the shoulder joints. Elbows are on ball joints and because of his giant blocky arms it looks like you shouldn't be able to get much movement out of them but there actually is just enough space before the arm hits into the shoulders to get a pretty decent elbow bend. Waist swivel... Ball joint hips which keep popping off. Thigh swivel which is hard to move without popping the hips off their ball joints. Knees that are surprisingly more limited than the elbows... and I say this because the thighs are so small and the back of the lower legs are mostly hollow so it should have a deep knee bend but parts of his beast mode tail are taking up that space for the knees to bend any further. And the ankles and tilt in all directions. Though the left ankle has a tenancy to bend on a transformation hinge rather than than the articulation hinge. And I'm guessing that hinge is meant more for Transformation because the one on the right foot is much longer extending out to the heel rather than being directly right next to the ankle tilt. He's not really an asymmetrical robot but if you look at how his tail folds away into the back of his legs he kinda is.

Speaking of the transformation... The upper body is fairly straight forward though there are a couple minor clearance issues if you don't have everything positioned exactly right. The tail transformation from his robot legs is where things get tricky. I've tried to figure it out myself with no luck. I've looked at the instructions and they're no help at all. It only shows you three steps for each leg and I actually got farther WITHOUT the instructions. After that it just tells you to join the legs together but they're not yet in a position where they CAN be joined together. I'm looking at these wandering where the other steps are to get from legs to tail. I did eventually figure it out but the instructions were freaking useless!

After a frustrating transformation we get a pretty decent beast mode. Though he looks better on his left side as the spikes on the right side of his tail aren't painted and there's a gap where it doesn't fit flush with his body. Nothing to really do about that because of how this figure transforms.

Articulation in this mode is more limited. You still have those ball joints in the shoulders which are now his hips. However due to the way the arms transform into his beast legs you actually can not use the same elbow joints as knee joints... unless you really want him to kick himself in the wrecking balls... There's nothing on the little T-Rex arms. The tail doesn't move. The head can look down a bit but that's more for transformation as you actually have to unclip the head at the base of the neck for him to do that. His mouth can open though and both the upper and lower jaws are on their won hinges. Of course this is mostly to accommodate the FX part.

So lets talk about Accessories. Unlike the other figures in this line Grimlock doesn't actually come with a proper weapon. Weird considering Bumblebee and Shockwave each have two weapons. Grimlock just has the FX part which he can hold as a sword... or really more of a club in robot mode. That's not made up by a disappointed fan by the way, officially according to the instructions that's how Grimlock is meant to use the FX part in robot mode. It's kinda dumb and way more impressive in beast mode as a flame thrower effect. I also just noticed that if you open the top of his mouth first the lower jaw will be pushed open with it.

He also comes with his crown... which I know he used in the show... in one episode... Kind of a "Masterpiece" accessory considering how little screen time it got in the cartoon. I was kind of hoping I could put it on my RID2015 Starscream since he already basically looks like movie Starscream from the coronation scene anyway but alas it's specifically molded to only fit on Grimlock.

I'm really tempted to get another Grimlock partly so I can reenact the scene from Crossroads and partly so I never have to transform him ever again... Also so I can customize the extra crown to fit Starscream... Anyway... I don't think this is really the best Grimlock in the toy line, there are others that are more show accurate and less complicated to Transform. There's even a larger articulated figure. I mainly only got this one for the Maccadam piece other than that I'm finding it hard to recommend this one as he isn't as interesting as the other figures I've messed with in the toy line and is harder to transform. It's just that tail and some clearance issues he really shouldn't be that hard to transform, I can tell where everything is suppose to go before I even started but actually getting it to go there was the difficult part. And the hips constantly popping off didn't help either.

13. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

For the first time in 10 years I needed the instructions to figure out the leg transformation. Might have been more than 10 years and it was a Grimlock toy back then as well. Had a hard time figuring out alternators Grimlock shoulder sembly on that thing. Hell I have no problem transforming M3 with no instructions. How this little $20 figure gave me such a problem with transformation is beyond me.

Anyway i pick this guy up just so I can paint him. Love his design.