Cyberverse a group review.

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Thewatcher88, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Its getting better, I think. The VAs seem to be getting more comfortable in their roles and the tone is evening out, instead of the whiplashing its done before. I doubt this will ever be a favorite of mine, but I'm starting to look forward to new episodes. Now if only it had a good 15-25 minutes instead.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's probably the worst show we've had since 2006 but still better than machinima and the animes.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don’t like it as much as Prime but it still ranks way up there for me. I really, really enjoy it. No humans and a Cybertronian tale with only Transformers. Wish the episodes were longer but the pacing still feels great.

4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I like it so far after catching up through YouTube during the weekend. It's not a overly complex series, but the characterizations and some of the concepts impress me for the age range it's aimed at. I got a little worn of Bumblebee's Bay-verse radio-speak, so was grateful it mostly shifted to the mind-verse a couple episodes in for the most part. I'm still getting used to Grimlock being less Conan the Transformer and more Beast from the X-Men.

5. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Also, the use of more female Decpeticons is appreciated.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm actually okay with the 10 minute shorts, since the story is still largely one continuous tale. It's just a 3 hour story broken into 10 minute acts, so it hasn't felt too rushed.

I think a lot of it has to do with the comic book culture in the region and it's influence on Boulder Media here. Ireland gets British comics on their local markets. They're clearly fans of the old Marvel UK comics, which were only 11 pages a week. 2000AD typically tells a serial in 5 to 6 page chapters, but they pack in the story in those pages so it doesn't feel like pinup filler.

If Judge Dredd can tell a great story in 6 Pages a week, or classic Transformers stories like Target 2006 can tell an epic over 11 page weekly chapters, then I think we can get a good story here. So far we have been.

My biggest problem is that it's only 18 episodes for Chapter 1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thewatcher88

Thewatcher88 Active Member

Well AlphaTrion made a appearance in the Matrix of Leadership episode.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thewatcher88

Maybe we can get Ultra Magnus.

• Like Like x 2
  9. darkspellmaster

darkspellmaster Well-Known Member

Liking it so far and the bite sized episodes are growing on me and are useful. You can watch three in a row and make up the 20 to 30 min normal episode. Or just digest in smaller chunks.

And I'm liking the characters and backstory.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alienmorph

Alienmorph Well-Known Member

I'm liking it more than I thought I would, mostly tho because I had very low expectations. It's obviously meant for a very young audience who has yet to "learn the basics" of Transformers. In that regard, it's fairly competent and as a whole I definately like it better than RiD 2015. Especially since it's one ongoing story, and not just someone making a template in microsoft Word, and then using it to make 3/4s of the episode. The only real repetitive element is the Psychic Patch, but since it's more of a framing device, I have not many problems with that.

It's clearly not a show meant for fans of all ages, like Animated and Prime were, but for what it is... ehh it's alright. Don't mind watching one or two episodes each week, but I won't be mourning it when it comes to an end either.

I just wish we could have another show with abit of backbone too again, and that isn't a poorly made webseries. I am kind of baffled that Hasbro didn't try to do something like TF:p rime again, considering that despite its flaws it was a pretty huge success... but that's more of a general consideration, than something related to Cyberverse.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I don't love it or hate it. I certainly don't get the mentality that it's 'the best show since Prime'. I personally prefer Prime and RID to Cyberverse, although I think Cyberverse is better than Combiner Wars (although I'd argue it's comparable in many ways). Not sure how it compares to CW's sequel shows, because I haven't seen them.

I really wish Cyberverse had better voice acting. For me this would work wonders. Acting (including voice acting) is always something I've kind of taken for granted, but Cyberverse (and Combiner Wars) have actually made me realize just how important professional acting is. Without it, the show just comes across as a cheap YouTube skit. The amateurish voices in Cyberverse really make the show lack gravitas in places where it's necessary.

I also feel like Cyberverse is kind of tone-deaf. We go from dramatic moments to dumb jokes in a matter of seconds. That's not to say Prime and RID were devoid of dumb stuff, but I think the balance was better there. I find the 'annoying' stuff in other shows (like Miko and Strongarm) far more tolerable than the annoying stuff in this show, like Telatraan X and even Bumbleebee's radio gag (which I find very wince-worthy here).

As far as the design aesthetic goes, I can take or leave it. I like that we're back to more blocky shapes after the 'skinny' Prime and RID designs (which I'd argue worked much better in RID's animation style). The general silhouettes in Cyberverse are good, but I feel like the robots are too detailed in some places and under-detailed in others. Some of the heads especially look a bit cluttery. Also, I kind of miss the subtle glowing pupils that have been present in the past couple shows. To me they add a whole other level of emotion, and the characters look a bit dazed without them.

I do appreciate that the story is attempting to go a bit deeper, and has more going on than a 'villain of the week' structure. At the same time, I enjoy 'villain of the week' shows, and feel like the current trend of long-form storytelling is a bit overrated. Again, I appreciate what Cyberverse is trying to do storywise, but I can take or leave it myself.

Overall I think Cyberverse is just okay. If the first season doesn't pick up in the next four episodes (the end of the season), I'll likely sit out on the next season. That's not to say I'll never watch it, but I'll put it on the backburner until I'm bored and have nothing better to watch. That's what I did with the third season of RID, and the sequels to Combiner Wars (which are still waiting).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thewatcher88

Not many expected it to be good. But hay im liking it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thewatcher88

Also screw the fact that they killed blurr.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Poetic Predacon, Deadpan Decepticon

I went in expecting something sweet and fun. Maybe not even as good as RID15. But every now and then it surprised me, and when it doesn't it's sweet and fun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. misfire19d

misfire19d Uniquely-minded Transformers fan.

I actually like the show so far.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

They have QC issues.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Poetic Predacon, Deadpan Decepticon

And the total lack of articulation or engineering effort at the same price as the STELLAR RID Warrior class toys is the first real slap to the face I've felt as a collector. I love the TV show but unless these Evergreen designs get Generations toys I don't think it'll have a lot of shelf representation.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    I just tried sitting through episode 3. I just can't stand anything in it. I hope soon we get a new cartoon and these mini series are over. At least the frame rate looks better than in the previous machinima series.

OK, in the background episode 4 started up, was too slow to stop playback. OK, then let's give this another try, at least it looks a little more interesting.

ugh. everything looks so unfinished. Just like a fan project. Where the people are amazed they did their first computer animation and instead of finishing it, they call it a day.

Nah, I give up. I don't finish episode 4.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

I'm getting use to the 10-12 mintue mark.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  20. CeramicPigs

CeramicPigs New Member

The show is better than I expected it to be. At first it looked like another immature, low effort RID 2015 style TF show that we're all sick and tired of, but after the first episode I was pleasantly surprised. The tone actually varies from lighthearted to darker, and the show generally has more emotion. Even though the CGI is pretty cheap compared to Prime, it's fluid and action scenes are quite enjoyable. I'm pretty invested and get excited for each new episode. The voice acting is fine except for Optimus' voice. The short episodes (if each pair of episodes was combined into one 20 min. episode there'd only be 9 episodes in chapter 1), and the pathetic toyline are a shame but I think this show is pretty good so far. TF Cyberverse has potential to be one of the greatest Transformers cartoons.

• Like Like x 3