Cybertron Undermine

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Baltan, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Let me spoil my verdict on this somewhat maligned figure before you continue reading - I really like him a lot. Hate him, or want to agree? Well, that's what the reply button is for.

Undermine arrives, as expected, in the sweet, partially resealable Cybertron Scout packaging. A lot of twist ties are holding him back, nearly ten of them, but he pops out of the bubble rather easily after that.

In "Jungle Planet velociraptor" mode, Undermine stands about as tall as the average Scout and is just right to go with Energon Cruellock or a repaint. He has fourteen points of articulation in beast mode, most in his legs and tail. His Planet Key gimmick is not as useful in this mode, since it comes close to whacking himself in the neck, but it could have been worse. Aside from his robot eyes being visible, Undermine could almost pass for a robotic spinosaur of some kind.

In robot mode, Undermine gets some extra height and is a bit more interesting. Undermine only has twelve points of articulation now, but counting his club weapon, can go up to fifteen. Also, his robot head may be stuck but his chest has some poseability due to the transformation, making it lucky sixteen. Undermine's robot mode is quite unusual considering the sail is now his "headdress," but it gives him a unique tribal look that I haven't seen around since Dinobot Striker. His Planet Key gimmick is more accessible and fits his bio as a silent stalker, and the bonus of a hand weapon that he can hold with no problem (using a tab, instead of the standard peg, aside) and this is one sweet beast.

One final note - many people seem to complain about his eternal "four-armed" look, which is even seen in the show. However, there is an option built into the mold that is obvious if you know what you're looking for, that gets the dino arms out of the way. Both sides of Undermine's body include various pegs that are supposed to lock the grey pieces that connect the dino neck/robot arms to the body. If, however, one rotates the grey "shoulders" towards the back of the body, they lock into place again somewhat and the dino arms are much more effectively hidden from view. If that's old news, I'm sure someone would still appreciate the info.

Until next time, have fun with sail-backed dino TFs. :cool: 

2. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

i cant wait for this figure he looks very cool.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive seen him, he looks cool, but the neon green color puts me off. hoping for a repaint.

4. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

if hes so sneaky neon seems to scream "look at me"

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got mine today, and I love him. Such a unique and sharp-looking design. And I think he also has the unique distinction of having more paint than the hand-painted sample on the backs of the cards. The card shows his claws being unpainted on the underside, whereas on the toy, the claws are fully painted.

6. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

i got him totay, hes is great, ransack and him are duking it out over best basic cyb toy

7. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

I personaly love the guy, the dino mode is just cool, and i like his pincer hands. The sub arms are a cool concept, like he latches on to the victim with the sub arms and rips em apart with his main arms. The club / whip is a little weak but can just be stored on his back, so its fine

8. Pointblank

Pointblank Banned

He's a pretty cool little figure. Well worth $6.00!

9. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

I'm just curious, if anyone able to take pics can figure out the alternate transformation I mentioned and show it off. Probably more enlightening than just my convoluted description.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I have pics, but won't be able to post them till sunday...

Andy

11. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I just picked up Undermine today, and I love this little guy. He has so much personality.

First of all, he's very well articulated. He can actually pull off a good charging pose with his blade deployed.

His design is unique. He has this tribal/medieval look I've never seen on a Transformer, and the little arms near his chest are cute. And I say screw perfectly proportioned, humanoid robots. Most of Undermine's aforementioned personality comes from his design.

I actually like his colors. The gold blends with his bright green nicely, and I feel that the entire scheme compliments itself well. For example, I see his upper legs not as two colors placed together, but as armor plates. And the fact that the underside of his claws are painted is a great plus.

I think my only gripe with Undermine is that his ankles don't swivel in and out. That would have made him more stable in poses where his legs are spread (like a crouched attack stance).

12. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
  13. butz

butz slippery when wet

He looks like a sweet little figure... I haven't really noticed that many people complaining about him- are they just upset because he doesn't look like your conventional TF? I think thats one of his strong points.

14. Primevil

Ebay:
    Yeah, pretty much. But as I said above, I love him because he's different.

15. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I would say he's not so much neon green as he is leaf green. Given that he is on a jungle planet - a cartoon one for that matter- I think it works effectively.

I like him quite a bit, but then I like the occasional TF with a funky robot mode.

16. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    ok, I'm a day late, but here's a picture of the arm thing.

[​IMG]

The whole grey piece that the arms are all attached to just swivels around, and has multiple spots for it to "snag" and hold into place. Here's a pic of it without the arms hidden for comparison:

[​IMG]

Andy

18. Primevil

Ebay:
    The strange thing about the position of the small arms, Hasbro's official transformation is different from Takara's according to Remy's Dinoshout gallery.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Just got it today, I have to say I was very pleasently surprised. Undermine is not without downsides, but they are the type of thing that is very easily forgiveable on a TF it's size.

I Find myself LOVING the funky robot mode. I don't know what it is about it though, maybe I'm just fond of ******ed modes or something :lol 

The dino mode is sweet too, I love the Spinosaur look. Another thing I love is, like others have already said, it looks like it could go along very well with Energon Cruellock.

Not a perfect toy, but leaps and bounds ahead of the likes of Overehaul...

Undermine gets a B+ from me.

20. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

A side view as in the second pic would better illustrate the point, but otherwise that's spot-on REDLINE. Thanks.