Cybertron Downshift

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gears, Jan 28, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I would say anyone expecting this to be an A+ toy is bound to be disappointed. He's got articulation issues in the shoulders, loose fists that make it hard to hold a weapon straight, and is a bit on the tiny side. Nor is there any way to effectively "hide" his guns in car mode as you can with Crosswise. Minicon pegs are nice to see, but he's so small the minis look a bit too big.

These are all nitpicky points to some degree. I only point them out because I think it better to have realistic expectations than to be disappointed. Overall, I'd give him a B+.

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I found him in SW Fort Worth, which is about as far away from the NE Frisco/Plano corner of the Metroplex as you can get, but he's heeeere. :p 

Yes, I live in Fort Worth. And no, I will never change my profile location to reflect as much, as I absolutely cannot wait to get back to Austin.

And Downshift is the best Cybertron Deluxe, tied with Sideways.

3. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Downshift looks like a 70's muscle car. (Which one, I don't know. Say, there's a thread I'd like to see ... which RL vehicles "inspired" which TF's. It's a question that comes up often enough ...)

Now, I don't know much about 70's muscle cars ... but I don't remember many of them being in day-glo fluorescent green. Brown, yes ... not green.

That said, the paint job is so good on this guy that the green is forgiveable. As mentioned before the roof is TEXTURED, to simulate old-school vinyl/fake leather/whatever the hell that stuff was on old sedans. I don't know if it's molded in or painted on, but it looks awesome. The rest of the paint apps are equally great, including some critical apps on the engine block and front end to hide the use of transparent plastic.

Transformation is drop dead easy. I don't know who's handing out skill ratings at Hasbro, but rating this guy as hard as Crosswise indicates a severe lack of common sense. He's easier than Hot Shot, and that says a lot. The head AND head fins pop out automatically, and get pushed in automatically when transforming back. The only slightly difficult bit is prying out the heels; there's no groove or notch, and I keep thinking I'm going to scratch the silver paint apps. Also, the legs have to the split and straightened out perfectly, or else they won't interlock properly with the car roof going back to alt mode.

As a robot, he's kind of squat with super broad shoulders. I think the chest sticks out a bit more than it should, but whatever. The head looks like it could turn if it popped out just a LITTLE bit higher; as it is, it can't. There's no waist, but leg articulation is excellent (probably owing to not having to push the legs in during transformation). Shoulders and forearms have limited (but OK) articulation; the lateral swivel is missing from the forearms/wrists.

This is the first mold I can think of where the Cyber Key Port can be opened and closed -- in fact, it SHIPS closed, which can be confusing at first. Closing the port smooths out the rear window, and makes the car look a LOT better. In fact, this is one of the few Cybertron molds where the alt mode IS a realistic looking disguise -- there's even a steering wheel, console, and seats molded in (but hard to see through the tinted windows). If you choose to keep the port open, the Key stores VERY securely in it; in fact, it takes effort to pop the bastard out. The gimmick is triggerable in bot and alt modes, and results in a giant claw/drill/Matrix-looking thing popping out of the front end/chest. It looks pretty silly.

Downshift's biggest weakness is his oversized cannons. They're primarily designed to be shoulder cannons for his bot mode (like an overkill version of G1 Wheeljack's cannons), and look great that way ... but totally clash when attached in alt mode. Worse, the damn things have a hair trigger -- and the triggers are mounted EXACTLY where you'd normally position your fingers to mount them in both modes. Get used to removing the missiles a LOT, unless you want to lose them. The only conceivable reason I can think of for the triggers to be where they are is they look a little bit like fins in alt mode ... but the cannons are so huge and square that the overall look = ass.

Overall, a mold with a lot of interesting firsts. I can't recall Hastak doing a classic-style muscle car/sedan like this before, and hope it's the beginning of a new trend. (Prowl as a REAL police cruiser, anyone?) It's not perfect, but it's fun, and easy enough to give to the youngest fans (unlike Crosswise). I wish the weapons had been better integrated, but maybe next time.

Final Grade: B+

-XCN-

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    It's called pea green, and it was a very popular colour back in the days when people had no taste. Those also happen to be the days when muscle cars were popular.

Coincidence?

No.

5. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    I love mine. but no code on the back. The ears rock. This figure is freaking sweet. and mine didnt have the leg problem someone mentioned either. He is one ruff and tuff toys. Way better than the energon version. I even like the colors better. He will allways be wheeljack to me.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    I also like how you can fold down his key port to make it look less obvious. A MUST HAVE> and i do

7. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    I just found him. yippee. He seems pretty cool, there's just something about him that isn't there all the way, otherwise he'd be perfect. If his hood was a little thinner, he could have had head articulation. i would have rathered a less accurate mold with head articulation, in my opinion.

8. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

In a toss up, id have to say this was in my top 4 deluxes from cybertron, just because this bot has style. The cannons are excesive, but in a good way, and he is just fun to play with overall. I do wish he ehad head articulation, and i might just try to take him apart to see if that cannot be done. He is too good not to try and give him head articulation. And hey, how great would it be to get a whole line of old school car tfs. I for one would love to see a charger, or a superbee, or, god willing, a shelby cobra.

9. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    Musclecar TF's rock! Preach on... :rock 

10. misterd

Car mode is definately in the top 4 for Cyb deluxes, if not overall. But so far I prefer Sideways, CD Hot Shot, Crosswise, and Brimstone overall.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Downshift is pretty durn excellent. Wish the toy was a little smaller, but in general great. Seems odd, but the Hasbro-exclusive molds often seem to have more nice little touches than others, such as Downshift's closeable key slot.

12. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Does anyone have his UPC Number? I'm going to need it for a search. Thanks in advance! :) 

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    just got him today and like everyone else, I find him to be a total badass! if you want to find a negative, its that they could've easily given him arm and leg rotation... there's a great spot on both that would've been perfect, but they left it out I imagine to cut his cost :( 

I rate him an A-

-Andy

14. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    *still waiting for him to hit North Dallas area*

15. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Got him at Big K-Mart last night. Friggin. Rocks.

One of the best molds ever made. Seriously.

I got extremely lucky...he's assembled correctly, nothing missing, nothing wrong. *whew!*

16. misterd

The limp wrists are what probably bothers me most.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just picked him up. he's great!

while the head is obviously drawn from g1 wheeljack, i love the other little touches like his feet design and motif on his shin, also referencing the g1 character design. i also like the bump effect on the roof, very realistic, even the color, which i think is a great turn away from red/blue/yellow cars. hes got clear windows with interior detail, and a concealed chip slot. hes frickin' perfect. they even made his ears fold up, making him like crumplezone, have articulation in his head.

downside? the face paint app on mine is slighly sloppy, did not get jungle map :( 

i hope they repaint him into starsky and hutch bot.

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Anyone else think the upper arms are backwards?

The piston like detailing is on the inside when he is transformed.
    I would think they would want that on the outside since it's only visible when you open the door/shoulder to transform him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to try and switch the upper arms, which is going to suck. I'll have to get the pin out at the shoulder and at the elbow since the lower arm works as part of the cars exterior and isn't reversable.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think its supposed to be that way, the back of the arms, like on MP Prime, as if that's how they move.

Andy

20. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

It's not on the back of his arm though, it's in his armpit and is only seen when you start the arm transformation and thats it and being on the reverse side would allow his arm movement to be the same in a manner of how it worked.

I failed at my attempt to get it out but I was unwilling to use heat in such a small space and I do not have the proper tools to do it the right way.

Edit, Also mine doesn't have any headlights. I thought it looked funny but didn't notice until I double checked other pics.