Cybertron Defense Red Alert

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Tannerbot2000, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

Cybertron brings to us a change in the winds of transformers, the return of physical upgrades, rather than a simple repaint (yeah i know megs to galvy and all that, but its a start). SO how does the first released remold fare? Thats what im here to tell you.

In terms of size, Red Alert is a head shorter than scourge, and about the same height as jetfire. He is a fair bit narrower, but thanks to the gigantic missile, he is quite a bit longer. In vehicle mode he is shorter than both scourge and jetfire, as well as narrower. He is taller than jetfire, but shorter than scourge.

Dimentions of the guy are good and all, but how is the toy. Well, in short, hes friggin awesome. He has a real presence, thanks to the bulk on the figure. The articulation is amazing below the waist, with a turning waist, and universal joints in the hips, and the knees. The feet are a little weird but keep him up well enough, but there is no ankle articulation which may limit the poses possible (havent run into any standard ones yet that dont work). The arms are the only real problem,as they have no outward movement, and the massive shoulders limit the posses possible with the cannon mount on the left arm.

The key gimmicks on this bot are as follows, flip out cannon on left or right arm (cannon can be placed on either left or right arm). Simple stuff, key goes in, cannon goes out. Liek his smaller counterpart, there are accesories that can go on the arm, one being a big friggin hammer, with a sprung head, that is a pain to get out of its holster in the left leg, and a three tined claw, both halves articulated, which is the better of the two attachments in my opinion. The other key gimmick, the main one is the gigantic missile i had mentioned earlier. the missile is removable, if you dont like the look of it, but the launch rack remains, and it is a bit of an eyesore. When activated, the missile splits into a split boom cannon, complete with weak firing missile in the center. I cannot state how much i love the look of this thing. When open, it looks like this guy could take biiig chunks out of unicron's hide with this gun, and even give megatron pause.

In short, Cybertron Defense Red Alert is a worthy purchase, a wonderful upgrade to a cool toy, and hopefully a sign of things to come in the transformers world. Now if only someone could figure out how to kitbash some better shoulders onto this guy.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

nice review, totally agree with you dude. i havent tested out the electronics yet, how does the sound fx fare?

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does he even have sound effects? I've got the GF version in front of me, and there's no speaker box present, and I know he's not one of those figures with the electronics gutted.

4. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

The GF version has sound effects - they're in the rocket, along with the battery compartment.

When you lift the missile off it makes a decentish launching sound, and inserting the force chip on the missile rack (or just pressing the tab to split the missile if it's detached) makes a bleepy bleep targeting noise.

There's no noise when you fire the spring loaded missile (which you'd assume was supposed to be his Giga Vanisher attack) oddly enough though.

Phazer

5. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget his wrist articulation! :thumb 

That was a spot on review. I have they Cybertron version as well and I can't say that I'm at all disappointed with him. He's very impressive. I still find it amusing though that our good doctor is the one who gets the upgrade with a HUGE FRIGGIN CANNON.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why's it funny that the doctor got a huge cannon? He already had a gun arm and 2 shoulder cannons before he got upgraded. I can't wait to find this figure!

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i find this disturbing coming from you.

saw 'im. passed on 'im. i prefer regular red alert.

think i'll get big scattorshot tho'.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I wish I could see him :(  ...or Evac for that matter!!!

Andy

9. smangerbot

put him next to first aid, and see what a megatastic upgrade it actually is. he's about 20 times the size. if they made his shoulders better, with a hinge so he could raise his arms sideways, and his head could at least turn it'd be way better, but it still rocks.

10. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

His head does turn. It's a bit sticky, but it turns.

Phazer

11. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

Nice review man, I have to get this guy any way as he ison the show, but it is always nice to hear good things first.

12. DVD

DVD Well-Known Member

Got mine last Friday, but have been too busy to do a review. Anyhow, some quick thoughts. Best Upgrade Ever. No, I don't have CD Hot Shot or CD Scattorshot, but for what I do have, CD Red Alert is the king. Vehicle mode is big and awesome, if not a little simple. I don't like the missile being in the center, so I slide it over to where it's supposed to be in 'bot mode.

Robot mode is where Red Alert shines. Huge bot mode, big and impressive, not to mention all the weaponry. There's the huge shoulder missile/cannon, his arm weapon which can either be a cannon or a diff weapon depending on which attatchment you put on(either a hammer or claw), and don't forget the little double barrelled cannon on his left leg. Did I mention he has 2 hands?!? Wow! Not only does he have all of those weapons, but he could possibly hold more!

One more feature that's not in the instructions, and it is more of a fan feature, is that in robot mode, if you pull the flaps that rest against RA's legs to a 90 degree angle, it looks like Armada RA's little mini-con platform. There's even mini-con ports there.

All in all, Cybertron Defense Red Alert is awesome. If you like Transformers(duh), you'll like this figure. Whoever designed the Cybertron Defense Team needs a raise. CD Hot Shot and CD Scattorshot should be out in late winter/early spring, along with Wing Saber(Sonic Bomber) and Galvatron. I can't wait.

13. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Any pics? I've not seen this yet.

14. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

It's not bad or anything...I just thought it was kinda funny that the Autobot whose primary function is to save lives has a giant friggin missile/cannon that could take out dozens of opponents in one blast. And I like it.

And here are some pics. I don't have any of Red Alert by himself, but I do have these group shots of him with CD Scattorshot and CD Hotshot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Think of it as a huge shoulder-mounted hypodermic needle. :) 

16. smangerbot

but i'm affraid of needles! especially when they're the size of scud missiles!

17. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

That needle's for the decepticons. They have the evil bug and need a vaccine? ;) 

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm blind. I was just fiddling with Red right now when I noticed the speaker cover on the back end of the rocket. Which reminded me of this thread.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I just got him today, and man o man does he rock! My only complaints from a nearly perfect toy are that if you remove the rocket from his shoulder, he actually slightly leans backwards a bit, like he's arching his back. the second is the damned electronics... pop in the key, and wow a realllly silly sound effect :thumbdown  all they had to do was give it a power-up sound and they can't even do that right!

Andy

20. starkaz75

starkaz75 Well-Known Member

I really like this guy, too. He's got a major lack of kibble in alt mode, and I love the big honkin' rocket. I also like how they were still able to keep Red Alert's interchangeable parts gimmick.