Cybertron Defense Hot Shot

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Xcandescent, Feb 2, 2006.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Red Repaint pls as Cybertron Rodimus Prime.

And possibly White as Cybertron Checkpoint ?

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I thought that CDHS would be a bit brickish, but I'm glad that I was wrong.

And the insane amount of rockets is just wonderful.

3. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I decided to get all three of the Vanguard team figs, and Hot Shot isn't quite the disapointment I'd expected. He's a bit small, but it's not a real problem for me, though he looks real short next to CD Red Alert. And you can never have to many missiles...

4. Hot-Shot!!!

Hot-Shot!!! Transform and rise up!

Ebay:
    I got him and thought it was on ok figure....love the massive missile amount
    then I saw the team on the show....please tell me the scale is messed up somewhere

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't have him yet, but I wish he was at least Voyager size to better fit in with his vanguard team buddies. Those characters went from tiny to huge, where as Hot Shot got a little smaller. I'm not sure how it's represented on the cartoon.

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Picked this guy up with CD Scattorshot today.

As with Scattorshot, I have mixxed feelings about this guy.

He looks AWESOME. His alt mode looks powerful and exceedingly well-defended... pretty much CD Red Alert's alt mode, made deluxe size, without the cannon, and given twin top-mounted guns. Honestly, it's not my thing, but I have to admit, it DOES look good... albeit, a little small.

Before I go on, I have to go on a bit of a tangent. Before Cybertron was released in the US, but much later than GF had started, I saw a picture of Excellion. Hot Rod, being my favorite G1 character, was as obvious as the sun on a clear day at noon as this guy's inspriation. So from the start, I've been a C. Hot Shot fan. So this means I'm extra-critical about CD Hot Shot. So let's start with my gripes.

A) Size. He's a deluxe - which I like! Deluxes have pretty much been my favorite figures since I started collecting TFs again. However... for his alt mode, and compared to CD Scattorshot and Red Alert, his size is disgustingly inappropriate. He looks like a small child, capable of very, very little. And his alt mode doesn't help, with only two guns (not counting when you put his Cyber Key in). You can open up his front bumper to reveal two guns (look on the inside of the two red peices) and eight missile thingamabobbers... but they're pretty small, and with the bumper open, it doesn't look very natural.

B) This may be a problem with just mine... but when in bot mode, the red peices that connect his shoulders (the two halves of the front of the alt mode) to his chest don't go down all the way... they look and feel like they should be at a 90 degree angle to the chest, but they aren't. Can't say I like that.

C) The character. Yes, I know what happens in both Cybertron and GF... I know the situation that causes him to switch from super-cool-racing-car to this armored vehicle... but it's so inappropriate to the character. And his personality didn't change a bit, according to the bio on the back of the card. In the cartoon... he seemed like he was ready and willing to use his new strength to defeat those who would threaten that which he held dear. His bio makes him seem like he hasn't changed a gosh-darn bit. And at the end of GF, he... well, if you've seen the end of GF, you know what happens to him, and if you haven't, it'd be a spoiler. But I think that wasn't very appropriate at all.

So all that crap out of the way, let's get to the good. Because there's still plenty.

Transformation is very very very similar to the original Hot Shot's. With one or two added steps! I won't describe it, since if you pick him up, you may want to figure it out yourself, or read the instructions or look at pictures... whatever.

Articulation... lacking. Well, as compared to the original Hot Shot figure. The shoulders are articulated similarly, but the elbows only bend in one direction. The hips are not on ball joints either... they move forward and back, left and right, but nowhere inbetween. There is a swivel joint below the knee though.

However... I have to say, his sword is cool (more of a short sword... but it fits, and it's cool), and his impressive amount of weaponry is... well... impressive. I like this guy... not because he's Hot Shot (actually, he loses points for being Hot Shot), but because, on his own, he's pretty freakin' cool. He gets a flat B from me. If he was a new character with a more military deco, he'd be a B+, pushing A.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Having had CD Hotshot apart, I can tell you that his shoulder bars are not supposed to be horizontal. That upwards angle is all the farther down they go.

I've not seen any evidence of a swivel joint below the knee. :huh

I can confirm that he does look good, in camo.

8. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I got him yesterday and he is a great figure.

9. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

I hate my local retail places... I had to order CD Scattorshot from Hasbrotoyshop.com, but they don't have CD Hotshot. Does anyone know a good online place that has him?

10. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy Señor Member TFW2005 Supporter

i picked him up the other day. He is awsome. Yes he isn't as articulated as some of the other figures, but his look and fun factor is very high.

Is it just me or does hasbro want you to lose the missiles on his flip up back weapons... why do they come out?????????

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The ones on mine don't come out.

12. CrackerBoy

pull harder

the little grey missiles... both sides of his head in bot mode?????????? mine do. It's like they want to be lost.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    if you have to pull hard, then its merely a safety feature... so it doesn't BREAK... mines like grey's.

Andy

14. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I see what you're talking about, now. the barrels of his back guns come off, but they take a decent tug. Wish I'd known that before. Would have made it easier to paint Battery. His bumper guns come off a lot easier.

15. CrackerBoy

It's like they want him to come apart and for us to lose parts.... I hate hasbro... isn't that a thread somewhere???

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Honestly, I've not had any of his parts just fall off. The have to be pulled off. The button I made to replace the planet key is easier to remove, than any of his guns.

17. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I just got him and I must say I love this little guy. I love over kill and between him and Scattershot its overkill to the extream.

18. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

Picked him up, and like him. My only complaint is that the paint on his leg missile thing is applied sloppily

19. Scourge2112

Scourge2112 Nobody's Hero

No pictures on the feedback thread for one of the best OG Cybertron/Galaxy Force deluxe figures?!
    I got him a few months ago from eBay complete with all accessories & the right Cyber Key for $45. Happy to have another Cybertron(2005) figure I missed out on during childhood & glad to show my pics of him here!

Cybertron Defense Hot Shot's armored security vehicle mode (check TFWIKI) is a nice, solid brick of a thing. It's one of those tall, not wide, deluxe wheeled vehicle-formers. I like this ASV in silverish blue.
    IMG_0977.JPG
    It rolls satisfyingly well on any surface & the turret is ball-jointed, with independent hinges for the barrels. Inserting any Cyber Key in the rear of the turret opens the barrels, revealing missile pods. The front bumper halves also open manually to reveal miniguns & additional missile pods(unpainted). Even has Mini-Con pegs on the gas tanks. Also, the Cybertron Defense Team insignia is on the top front of the vehicle.

Finding this guy complete is not easy. the silver barrel tips & the red bumper pieces can be unpegged, presumably to avoid breakage. My copy's barrels stay pegged securely well, while the bumpers are a little loose. Then there's the Cybertron styled, Autobot insignia'd Cyber Key (with unique code d1o4 on it's back), & lastly a knife that either inconspicuously stores in between the rear halves of the vehicle, or (not shown in the instructions) could fit in a slot on one side. So 2 bumpers, 2 barrels, a key & a knife is a lot of stuff. Certainly completes the look, though.
    IMG_0995.JPG
    Vehicle mode comparison with old & new figures, plus a Hot Shot family reunion:
    Selects DK-2 Guard, Legacy Bulkhead & Iguanus, Earthrise Smokescreen, Siege Hound, & Prime RID, Cybertron(2005 car), Energon, Armada & RID(2001) Hot Shot. Currently looking for Cybertron Defense Scattorshot & Red Alert.
    IMG_1002.JPG
    CD 'Shot's transformation is a mostly simple pull-out extention of the vehicle parts, made finicky only by a hard tug needed to slightly move the front of the vehicle forward before bringing the halves back. All these slide joints are very tight on mine, & feel as solid as the vehicle was. Robot's got slabs of vehicular BEEF for shoulders & legs that look great, while not making the other bot parts look too slim. Paint on the visor, torso, & fingers is nice.
    IMG_0987.JPG
    He's more poseable than you'd think, with universal shoulder joints with surprising range, even around the turret & head, & universal hinge hips. No ball joints other than the turret & every joint & peg/hole tolerance is still excelently firm. Compared to modern articulation standards he has no swivels other than his head, & no ankle pivot. But he looks & feels awesome posing anyway!
    IMG_0989.JPG
    Turret can pivot down around his head & the knife can either be stored on the leg, held in hand (5mm compatible) or pegged into either hole in his knuckles. (The pose below kind of cheats with the foot flipped back in the armor, but looks great!)
    IMG_0991.JPG
    "Cyber Key POWER!!!!! (With Mini-Cons too!) Is 83 missiles enough to brighten your day?!" (featuring Cybertron Mini-Cons Steamhammer & Tankor)
    IMG_0993.JPG
    Robot comparison with newer figures previously mentioned...
    IMG_0996.JPG
    ...and with the other Hot Shots. Funny the best one imo is a redeco of a Bumblebee (the Prime one). Oddly, the OG Cybertron car one has as much articulation, give or take, as CD. I'd expect less from the boxy one & more from the lanky one.
    IMG_1000.JPG
    Overall, a perfect play thing imo, minus detachable parts & plus some simple action posing awesomeness! Sweet!
    IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_0987.JPG IMG_0989.JPG IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0996.JPG IMG_1000.JPG IMG_1003.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  20. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Such a good figure, I loved all of the Cybertron Defense toys when I had them, and while CDF Scattorshot is far and away my favorite, Hot Shot's definitely the runner-up. I love just how much he bristles with weaponry, and the knife you can plug into his wrist is pretty cool too.