Cybertron Con China 2016

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember when we just got 'straight up repaints' with the same face, so a new head, imo, is a major improvement. It would be nice if there turns out to be further remolding for TR Blitzwing and Octane (I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the case), but those designs do sort of work (imo) for Prime and Megatron.

It could be argued that there was a time when Optimus never combined with his trailer, or anyone else, or turned into a fire engine, car, train, dragon-thing, gorilla, gorilla on a hoverboard, bat (sorry, that was Primal), or that Megatron didn't always transform into a tank, truck, helicopter, spaceship, T-Rex, dragon, crocodile, giant head/spider thing..........Hm, I think I'm fine with the new versions.

2. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    That Prime is so not an F-104. They may have well as said he's an F-15, Concorde, or Space Shuttle.

He's a Harrier if anything. First thing I thought when I saw it was "that's an awfully Harrier-esque set of intakes". Combined with the high-mounted anhedral wing and tail configuration---it's very Harrier-esque. The main thing though are the auxiliary intake ports---they are EXACTLY like a Harrier's, and pretty unique to the Harrier. See the square openings behind the intake lip?
    [​IMG]

I don't see a single F-104-ish thing about it. And not having a T-tail just kills it, as that's the most distinctive feature of that plane. (plus having very short very stubby wings, unlike this new Prime mold)

3. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lazy with straight up repaints??????

Blurr and Brianstorm are reuses as are some other of the headmasters deluxes.

Prime has never been a jet....yet. He was also at one point never a fire engine, car, car carrier and a number of other things. How boring would it be if Prime was only ever released as a flat nosed semi... over and over and over again.

There are no "rules" regarding Transformers, they can turn into anything. If having Prime be a triple changer gets a new Octane released, then so be it. You don't have to buy it.

4. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His truck cab turned into a jet in Actionmasters in 1990. There's a similar cab parts hanging off the rear theme too.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Because a triple changing tanker with a plane alt. mode not being Octane is about as unlikely as a tank/jet triplechanger being made into a Blitzwing?

For the voyager torsos, yes, but not nearly as much for the deluxes and legends. They couldn't even be bothered to tool-off the lightbar when repainting Prowl into Smokescreen!

Actually, IDW Sentinel somewhat looked like what the TR toy does now
    [​IMG]

Sure, it's only really in colors and vague profile...but at the same time, who else could Astrotrain even be reused for?

As pointed out, that's actually more like an F-104 - extremely loosely - by the notable intake vents near the cockpit.

But then again, Prime was never a combiner torso until TR. But he was an aligator back in G1!
    [​IMG]

The Skullcruncher repaint exclusive is imminent, suffice to say.

What are you talking about? There's more than enough proof that Highbrow is in fact an extreme retool of Scourge, Brainstorm 2.0 from Blurr is already a known fact, and the rumors of revisiting the Clones Pounce and Wingspan make a lot of sense to be made from retooling Wolfwire and Mindwipe.

Extreme retools of the exterior on toys to preserve the existing engineering has been in practice since Sandstorm was made from the voyager Springer, and before that with the cornerstone concept pioneered when the designers realized they could get 2008 Sunstreaker to look significantly different when headswapped into Sideswipe simply by reversing the orientation of all the parts such that Streaker's back could easily pass for Sideswipe's correct hood chest. It is a money-saving move that actually opens the door to more possibilities so long as the transformation of the toy design's core can be reused - hell, just look at Swindle who barely even looks like a Rook retool given the kibble differences.

For a jet made out of a fuel tanker trailer, TR Laser Prime does a really nice job all things considered. Plus, if you hate one mode on these guys, then you just don't need to use it as kibble management is surprisingly decent in robot mode.

You forgot to list Megatron also turning into Optimus Prime :lol 

Actually, I think the F-104 comes from the wings being set so far back on the fuselage.
    [​IMG]

Obviously the cockpit being RIGHT THERE next to the intakes is very harrier-esque but it's not like Hasbro hasn't ever glued the wrong cockpit on the body of another plane before. Like the ubiquitous deluxe Classics Seeker, which IIRC is the F-14 body with the nosecone and cockpit of the F-15 (or the other way around, not sure), or RtS Lugnut which has the giant bubble window of a B-25 but the tailfin of an He 111.

Then again, you could be right and it is meant to be a harrier, but they just got the type mixed up at the con. But personally after getting harriers and F-14/15/16/22's all the time, even the idea they're doing something a bit different like the F-104, even inaccurately, appeals to me more.

But a jet has been Optimus Prime!
    [​IMG]

You forgot 'shoe'
    [​IMG]

Because this is a thing. And yes, he is wearing the shoe type he becomes.

At least we all seem to have moved on from whining about how everybody is a headmaster now - silver lining where it counts! :D 

6. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    The truck cab hanging off the sides of the jet is inexcusable, like G1 Octane arms in truck mode inexcusable. How can can anybody complain about Universe Octane or Classics Astrotrain and defend that on of a toy twice the size and triple the price?

7. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Galaxy Shuttle
    Unicron Trilogy Jetfire

[​IMG]

Otherwise IDW Sentinel really doesn't look anything close to Astrotrain. He probably turned into some sort of cybertronian truck like Optimus and Nova judging by the picture.

Attached Files:

8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Not sure if anyone has said anything, but Tformers posted some galleries with clearer pictures of the display room. I kept on thinking I needed to clean my glasses looking at the Titanmaster on the display floor Sixshot but it's actually got a piece of putty over the Quickswitch headsculpt the other test shots are sporting. D'oh.

9. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't remember that one, but his Cybertron figure also turned into a jet. Not to mention he stapled on parts of Jetfire's lifeless body to be able to fly in ROTF.

10. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  11. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
  12. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah looks like they are.

13. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  14. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    Aha, I thought so. All that chrome can't be a deluxe.

And that's Unique Toys Predaking.

15. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the site is trying to tell us something.

I think the message is: buy third party.

16. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know you edited it and all that, but I have to say. You should be smarter then that :lol 

17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I think the render makes it look worse than it really is.
    [​IMG]

Note that the struts the wings are connected to are flipped 'forward' then compare to the wings on the floor sample which have the struts flipped 'back'
    [​IMG]

So, in a sense the truck halves when properly covered are boxy underslung engines ala G1 Powerglide to the point they are the robot arms. It isn't the greatest but at least an attempt to hide them in plain sight is made vs. the comparable deluxe Octane/Tankor from 2008 who rather conspicuously had an inverted plane nose for the back of the truck trailer and propellers sticking out under the cab, and in plane mode the landing gear was...in-line skate style truck wheels.

Plus, if the plane mode manages to acomplish anything, it is making something that looks somewhat aerodymanic and plane like and not obviously a fuel tanker trailer with wings glued on top. At least they tried to make something interesting here as opposed to that truly inexcusable long brick 'train' for Astrotrain as opposed to a boxy steam engine because of that dumb-ass titanmaster cockpit taking up a third of the entire goddamn toy.

Isn't the latter - the original Armada form at any rate - meant to be an homage to the former, thus kinda the same thing being homaged either way?

Then why does he have tank tread legs?

But the thing is, there are trucks that haul multiple trailers and are thus called 'Road Trains' in the Outback
    [​IMG]

Kind of a stretch, but technically speaking it is still a better tie if the truck theme must be adhered to than nothing else.

18. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm Australian, but I've NEVER seen one of those in my life.

Looks awesome though.

19. Ayleron

Ayleron Autobot Vanguard

I feel like most of these figures are not utilizing the play pattern to it's fullest by not having enough 5mm peg holes. if you remember bacj to the arms micron figures, they had them everywhere. These titans return guys, especially the voyager class, could do with a few more. Optimus could have one on the top of each wing for example.

Don't get me wrong I love the longer and cannot wait to buy these, I just wish I could stick more titan master piloted weapons on them.

20. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Except the play pattern is not 5mm, it's the Titan master guys that are.