Cyber Battalion Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Robots78, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I found Cyber Battalion Shockwave tonight at Walgreens and figured I'd post some pics and impressions.

Overall, I like this figure. It has serious problems, but the bot mode has such good presence that I can overlook them.

DSC_0133.jpg

Let's start with the alt mode. It's a sad "spaceship" where the legs are pressed together to form something reminiscent of Shockwave's classic laser gun barrel, while the chest folds down, the head tucks away and the arms just sort of hang out.

DSC_0127.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg

There is a little landing skid under the front that I neglected to fold out, which would lift the front end up a bit.

As we switch modes here, I wanted to point out that the instructions are printed on the back of the box instead of being on a separate piece of paper, and they're MUCH easier to read than the gray-on-gray diagrams we get with Generations figures.

IMG_0872.jpg

The robot mode is much more successful. This is a great rendition of G1 Shockwave. The sculpt is very faithful to the original, the proportions are nice, and the colors are perfect. The few tampos used are high quality, especially his Decepticon symbol, however the paint on the cyclops eye on my copy was a bit messed up.

DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0129.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg

Yes, the back of his lower legs are super-hollow, but that and the inside of his forearms are really the only hollow parts, which isn't too bad. His lack of a meaningful alt mode helps him have almost no backpack or other kibble.

Articulation is obviously where these Cyber Battalion figures really come up short, and Shockwave is no exception. The knees do not bend. It sucks, but since in the cartoon Shockwave mainly just stood around around saying "Yes, Lord Megatron", I can deal with it. His knees do swivel. His arms cannot reach back because they run into his backpack wings. But there's enough here to work with to get him into some decent standing poses.

The figure feels nice and solid. Plastics quality is good and he feels very durable. Joints were all good on my copy.

Size-wise, he's about perfect IMO. A solid voyager size that's a bit shorter than my Megatron (Hegemon) and Optimus (MP10-V), and a good counterpart for FoC Soundwave.

DSC_0136.jpg

Here he is with some other Shockwave figures. The Cyber Battalion figure is far and away the most G1-inspired. He'll be replacing TFP Beast Hunters Shockwave in my CHUG display.

DSC_0137.jpg

Because of it's limited possibility and weak alt mode, Cyber Battalion Shockwave is certainly not the "total package", and not the voyager-class Shockwave that CHUG collectors have been waiting for. But if you can accept its faults and are content with it pretty much just being a display piece in a relatively-static bot-mode pose, it's a great figure.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 21
  2. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great review!
    Man, I haven't found this yet and it's killing me! Such a great representation of the character, design limitations not withstanding. He looks amazing in the Shockwave lineup, making that FoC atrocity look even more out of place. Even the BH version, which is my favorite non-G1 rendition looks weak in comparison.

• Like Like x 3
  3. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie, if someone comes up with a Shapeways fix that gives Shocky some real knees, I might seriously consider getting it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I love the look and size of this guy. I HATE that he doesn't have any knee articulation. He would be perfect otherwise.

Can you bend the wings down? *wink*

5. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nope, you can't do any sort of "upside-down submarine" mode (;) ) with him, unfortunately. The main center portion of the wings is one solid flat piece from shoulder to shoulder, only the wing tips can move, and they're way too short and far apart to even come close to forming a gun handle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Bummer.

Still, as a static piece, it's not that bad.

C'mon Hasbro. Make a proper Shockwave. Another Submarine would be great too.

7. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Outstanding review!

Not having him kinda hurts me physically... Ironically all the previous Cyber Battalion figures were released here in Brazil first... But when it comes to the release of Shockwave which is my favorite character ever, they didn't show up on the shelves here yet...

Although my official CHUG Shockwave is MP-29 due to his "leader class" size, for all my other CHUG commanders are leader class, this CB one will be a great necessary acquisition to be lined up with my other voyager commanders. I can't wait to put my hands on him. There will be some necessary modifications to his articulations though.

JUST CAN'T WAIT!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    On the back of the neck piece that hinges inward for transformation to alt mode, there is something that looks clip-ish. A resourceful Shapeways designer might be able to craft a handle that converts into a weapon in robot mode.

9. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! Considering how limited the options are for a Voyager sized G1 Shockwave, this guy will do fine for now. Hope he won't be a pain in the butt to find.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is so far...

11. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I really like this guy, but I know that once I get him and give him knees, Hasbro or 3P will announce a Voyager Shockwave...
    Of course, then if I don't get him, we'll never get another Voyager Shockwave.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Too bad he's so hard to find.

Good job at the distribution as usual, Hasbro...

I'm going to try getting it anyway because actual CHUG Voy Shockwave, if it ever happends, might end as poor looking as PoTP Screamer when compared to Cyber Battalion Starscream.

Mainline releases often suffer from gimmicks compromising their look and function.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If anybody here isn't really interested but happens to find one, PM me.

I'll gladly pay for your troubles!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Oh man, you're right.
    I better get this guy then. Plus, it'll be forever if I decide to wait for a 3P version.

15. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I mean, the alt-mode is a little bit better than Sixshot's spaceship mode, but that's damning with faint praise.

16. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Great review. I really want this figure but all I've been able to find are Prowls, Jetfires, and 1 Sideswipe. I like how he is pretty close to show accurate and being almost voyager sized, he would scale well with my other Generations figures. True the hollow legs and lack of knees are a letdown, but he is going to be sitting on my shelf and facing forward, so him not being super articulate is not a huge dealbreaker at all.

Also to the OP, thank you for the comparion Shockwave pics. FoC Shockwave is sitting on my shelf right now and I've been wanting to replace him with something else. It's not so much the size of the figure but I was never a huge fan of the FoC design in general, it looks too "busy" and for a cold logical type character, I figure he would prefer a more simplified design over being overly flashy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I find it pretty hilarious that his head tucks away for jet mode, and in its place is faux kibble that approximates, uh, his head.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks!

Yeah, after I put him on my shelf, I realized that like 90% of my other figures are standing there in straight-leg poses. So for the way I display my collection, his shortcoming won't really matter.

I went from FoC SW to Beast Hunters SW. Both have a stylized look that diverges from the G1 design, but at least BH SW is the right height and color. But this new CB SW blows them both away. And honestly, BH SW's leg articulation is really annoying in it's own right.

Yeah I noticed that too, lol. They should've put a dab of paint on his spaceship-eye!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Like, if the goal is to have an exposed head in alternate mode, like ROTF Megatron or G1 Scourge, why not just use the actual head and make it look good?

20. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knees. Just knees and this thing would be phenomenal.

• Like Like x 1