By Generation: CW Ultra Magnus - Ankle Rocker Modification

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by ultraman zoffy, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Out here making whatever whenever

I didn't want to spring for an upgrade kit just to get some ankle pivot on the guy, so I decided to tackle Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus' ankles, which were really killing it for me on a bot I otherwise really like.

This is definitely not a beginner modification. I've been modding and customizing for a few years now, so I'm pretty confident taking all my toys and figures apart and working on them.

When working on Transformers, I try to approach things so that if an idea doesn't work out, I can return the bot to it's original functionality, if necessary. This approach to ankle articulation more or less keeps the feet and hinge intact enough to put it back together to it's original construction, since I wasn't sure how well it'd work out initially.

So, here are the basic instructions for this modification:

Tools needed:
    • Dremel (w/ assorted bits: drill bit, ball grinder, sanding bit, etc.);
    • Soldering Iron for removing pins;
    • Hobby Base style ball joints ( I think I used a 5 or 6 mm ball);
    • Super glue or other strong adhesive for plastics;
    • Hobby saw or other appropriate cutting tool (I use an X-Acto saw).

Instructions:

Remove the entire foot and hinge assembly by heating the pins with the soldering iron:

[​IMG]

….then remove the hinge from the foot, again by heating the pin with the soldering iron:

[​IMG]

Next, use a saw to cut off the nub that extends from the hinge and goes into the foot. Then drill and Dremel the hinge (on the side that joins with the foot obviously =) so that it JUST accepts the ball joint. If you've never done this type of mod before, be very careful and test fit the ball frequently. You'll need to root out the inside of the socket with the dremel ball bit so that when you press the ball joint in, the socket is tight enough to hold the ball in place, but still allows for the ball to move around and rotate freely enough. Precision, precision, precision:

[​IMG]

Finally, drill into the foot (inside the opening where the original hinge pin gets pressed into) to accept the ball joint fairly snuggly. It helps to drill it in a way so that when the ball joint is inserted, it is angled slightly upward to allow for more clearance for the hinge. I also used my Dremel sanding bit to create a small recess for additional clearance for the hinge. It is helpful to round the end of the hinge off so that it pivots a little smoother:

[​IMG]

Once all that is done, press the newly ball jointed foot into the hinge, pin the top of the hinge back into Magnus' leg, and get your pivot on!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easy! It took me about a day of staring at Magnus and running the approach to this through my head before starting on it. Thankfully, the plastic they used on the white hinge piece is INCREDIBLY durable, which is exactly what is needed for a secure ball joint socket.

Magnus is way more fun to pose now, and the mod doesn't affect transformation or his existing articulation one bit. The ankle joint is also not loose or floppy at all (actually, maybe a bit too tight right now!), so once he's posed, he's locked in pretty good.

Have at it, Radicons!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.