CW Ultra Magnus or Siege Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by johnchow604, Apr 27, 2020.

?

Which Ultra Magnus do you prefer in your 'Classics/Universe' style collection?

1. IDW

32 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Siege

55 vote(s)
    50.5%
  3. Hopefully a future Earthrise one?

16 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Other?

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which Ultra Magnus do you prefer in your 'Classics/Universe' style collection? CW or Siege? I prefer CW as I like the IDW head. Siege seems too busy with too many lines, and the eyes not being big, bother me.

2. Aigis

Aigis Formally known as Bumblejazz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like Siege. CW feels really cheap and can't hold his weapons. But if we get an ER one then I'd go for that. But Siege is just fine for now.

• Like Like x 6
  3. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Siege was "THE" Ultra Magnus that I've always wanted, with the white Prime and the massive bulky look he has...

That said, he does have a few cons: I had to get gap fillers as those were simply horrible, especially the shoulder parts. The hands that aren't hidden are a part thing too, but the worst is that they didn't manage to make the trailer useful to carry other cars.. for that, it loses a lot of points. I also wish the shoulder missiles weapons and his guns would have been done better and not empty mono-mold pieces.

But compared to CW version that just just looks too tall and lanky and lacks the internal white robot/armour approach. But mostly, it just too cartoonish for me, for certain figures, I prefer those that have a bit of realism to them.

DSC05178 - Copy.JPG

And with Moojnir his Hammer
    DSC05421.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Depends what you want. If you want an IDW Magnus get the CW, if you want a more G1 look get the Siege.

I dumped my CW a while back because I wasn’t satisfied with it, no major complaints with the Siege release.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Noma-Caa

Noma-Caa Well-Known Member

I've kept hold of both, because they do different things, and, in my opinion, do them well. Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus follows the cartoon's approach of having the entire vehicle transform into the robot with no inner robot. The engineering for the arms is clever, as is, honestly, the engineering for the entire figure. It does lean into the IDW look, but I don't think it suffers for it. The biggest problem it has is that it doesn't fit as well with Siege in either scale nor style, but I think it works just well enough in both areas to pass. Siege Ultra Magnus updated the toy's approach of armoring up a white Optimus Prime, and it does a respectable job. Though, to be fair, it's very difficult to armor up a robot without the proportions being off in at least one form. Siege Ultra Magnus has the advantage of scaling perfectly in all of its modes and fitting the Siege aesthetic. However, the partsforming element may not sit well with some people.

Overall, they're both excellent toys and both worth having, it just depends on which one fits better in your personal collection.

• Like Like x 6
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    CW Magnus is dated. Can’t hold its weapons, cheap construction, cheap colours, limited posability. The Minimus gimmick is sour now given how bad IDW became, and it just all around feels... old.

Siege isn’t perfect, but it feels solid, is the first proper armour-up Magnus since G1, and avoids all the flaws of the CW version. Plus it’s actually fun to play with. I don’t love it to pieces, but it’s my favourite G1 Magnus out of the three I own, and IMO the best G1 Magnus we’ve ever had.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I have the Platinum CW one, it works for me and looks nice. Siege is a little too stout and it's not a character I care enough about to drop another $50 on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I might be reading this wrong, but UM was exactly that... a Diaclone Convoy (Prime) with a new trailer that was a power-up armour... Hasbro simply made him into a different "character", changed the colours and made the cab white, so it's not been updated to do this, they did a modern version of the original G1.

Any version that doesn't have the white cab robot in an armour simply did the cartoon approach of never separating the figure from his armour.

9. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Happy with my CW one, even if he can't hold his weapons properly. I was never thrilled by the original toy so I'm not worried about the white inner robot not being an OP repaint but a tiny moustachioed guy. And IDW1 is the reason I got back into Transformers. And he's tall :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    They're both different enough to justify owning them both of you are an Ultra Magnus fan.

I will say the CW does feel kinda cheap in hand in comparison to his Siege counterpart.

11. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I don't have CW but it looks terrible and Siege is awesome

12. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    If you like MTMTE then CW Ultra Magnus is unbelievably awesome. Even just that it exists is wild. If not, I don't know what the appeal is, that's the only place he looks like that.

lol come on man

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Siege Magnus is just the next level.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I want a Magnus that has the core robot, but also has an all-in-one transformation. On paper, that would make the CW Magnus (with the PE core robot) for me the perfect Ultra Magnus. However, the visible gaps in all of the limbs, the incomplete armour (mostly the lower arms) and the thin and fragile feel of the plastic (I don't dare to fully transform my LG version to robotmode, since there are some parts that work against this and feel ready to snap), ruins what would be the perfect Magnus.

Siege has the looks and the quality, but I dislike the partsforming.

I'm hopeful that either in Earthrise or part three we will get the perfect combination of those two: core robot + all-in-one + good quality.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Combiner Wars because CHUG to me is about modernized, not-exactly-G1 reinterpretations of G1 characters and Siege Magnus is on the Siege shelf because I like the concept of Siege enough for it to get its own separate shelf, and treat Siege as a completely different entity to CHUG.

I wouldn't mind a better CHUG Magnus though - but definitely don't want one from the near future as it'll be guaranteed to be G1-with-articulation, and that is absolutely NOT the vision I have for my CHUG collection.

16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I far prefer the CW Ultra Magnus, who manages to look accurate to both G1 and IDW over the overgreebled siege version which cannot decide whether it wants to be RID or G1.
    But if a good Earthrise version comes along that doesn't make amy compromises there's a very good chance I'll buy that one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Voted "other" for "yes". I like them both for different reasons.

18. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have the CW Magnus, which is alright. I got it clearanced, and I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for it. The quality is lacking.
    I like Siege’s robot mode, but I really don’t like the alt mode. I never watched RID, so I don’t care about the homage. I’m also hoping for the improbable Earthrise version.

19. evenstaves

evenstaves you maverick renegade

Same, I like them both

I got the TK Legends Magnus, he looks a beaut and is nice & big
    With the Core Magnus kit to give him his old chest back, especially

I also love the Siege just for fiddling, perfect to watch a show and have something to mess with (I'm gonna wear out all those joints)

• Like Like x 1
  20. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I'd probably go with CW Magnus with the KO replacement cab. The combo gives you the armored-up albino Optimus of the original toy with an altmode that actually works as a car carrier.

And I have a soft spot for Classics Magnus with the City Commander armor. He's very dated, and there are more authentic versions, but I like him as a milestone in 3P product, and as a unique interpretation of Magnus.

20200427_142546703_iOS.jpg

• Like Like x 9