Minor/Repaint: CW Rapido

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

So, I made this a while back and never shared it here. Decided to put these pics up and show what I did.

Soon as I saw the Ironhide repaint of Offroad, I knew what I was going to do. Swap the upper arm and leg limbs in that neon algae blue/green to the Ironhide body, likely swap Offroad's head as well, repaint into Rapido.

Funny enough, a friend of mine had the Botcon Rapido from the Prowl/Bluestreak/Somkescreen mold. So, I borrowed the head, made a cast of it and drilled a new socket. I got a good fit on the first try, so that's the head I went with.

The paints were Tamiya silver leaf, flat black and gloss white, as well as Model Master Hot Pink Pearl. I also used Citadel figure paint: about 98% Temple Guard Blue and a touch of Sotek Green. The color almost exactly matches the limbs from Off Road--I got really lucky there.

In any case, here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I love is that the engine block that came with Ironhide totally fits with the Rapido concept. I don't have the engine/gun for my G2 Rapido, but it fits on the back of his hatchback mode similar to the CW figure. It was perfect!

[​IMG]

I've also attached pre-painted pics of the head cast I made.

Now, sad thing about Rapido is that his head is too big to let the connector rotate around 180 degrees. It CAN go 90 and attach as an arm, but it literally can't go one click past that--so no extending the arm sideways if he does combine. I mostly just saw this guy in my head and wanted to make it real. Truthfully, if someone wanted to do this, the Off Road head looks great for a Rapido head (except having a mouth), and that was my original idea. So if someone wanted to keep this guy's combiner ability, that'd be the way to go.

Of course, the other parts all went to Off Road who looked really bland with all the various gray. So I knew he was getting painted up. The funniest thing; I had bought that Citadel paint for Rapido, and it turns out that the Sotek Green EXACTLY matches the green on Off Road's head crest. So I broke up the colors a little with that (went with a different pattern than Rapido to give him his own flair)

Pics below, the green looks a bit more blue in this picture--but if you have Off Road you can see the crest color. Everything matches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gave him the two pipe weapons I had. Gives off a FN-2199 vibe in this shot. Likely mad that "Rapido" took his limbs? That'd be an interesting fight.

[​IMG]

And truck mode still looks the same.
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy. :) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Error

Error Chopper Face

Pretty awesome. Unique choice of altmode. Any chance you have a guide to making a head cast like that?

3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Legitimate Salvage

Huh... Never thought of Offroad having a flamethrower, I always gave one of my flamethrowers to Wildrider, 'cause he's crazy and what not. The smokestack tonfas look awesome on him, though!

Anyway, that's a sick looking Rapido, the truck mode works for him! Love the new face you made for him.

4. Deductor

Deductor Banned

Can you explain to me how to cast and create a head?

5. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks. Admittedly, I just threw a gun on Off Road to see how he'd look holding one--didn't really pay attention to which one. I would agree that a flamethrower doesn't really fit his personality. The tonfas I saw work for him right away. Glad you like them both!

My way is not all that technical, and you might get better looking/working casts from some of the others here. What I do is use a two-part molding material by Polytek; Platsil 71-20 Silicone RTV Rubber. You poor 50/50 parts and mix until purple--let sit for a bit to get the bubbles to rise to the surface (I'd recommend a vibrating plate or something to get them to rise faster--you don't always get rid of all of them) then dip the piece you want in and let the rubber dry around it. This means you don't get a full encased part, and in the case of this head, I put it in upside down until the very bottom of the head was sticking out of the surface. That creates a pretty square opening for pouring the resin (Polyteck's "Easyflo 60" plyurethane resin). Once it cures, you can do as you like with it. While the resin is definitely hard when it dries, the stuff is kinda soft as plastics go--definitely not quality. But I make a lot of heads for customs this way, and it works well enough for me.

I'm sure others here have techniques for making chambers with two halves you put together and drainage holes to help get air out and prevent bubbles. You can look online for different ideas and how-to's.

• Like Like x 2
  6. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    That Rapido is awesome!

7. Deductor

Deductor Banned

Awesome. Thanks

8. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    Even though it's a truck, that mold works nicely--the silver engine/gun plugged onto the back is a good homage to the original.

9. Primon4723

Primon4723 Autobot

That's so cool! :D 

10. Tankhunter48

Tankhunter48 Trailcreeper

Instagram:
    You should absolutely get that head 3D scanned and put up on Shapeways! That is one of the best looking customs for CW I've seen in some time!

11. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Rapido looks freaking badass.

12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Excellent work. :thumb