Cutting the cable for streaming

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Switch625, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I looked but didn't find a thread for this. Maybe I missed it.

We are seriously considering cutting the cable chord and going with streaming services for television. Does anyone have any experience with this? The guy at Best Buy recommended Sling TV and Roku. I only had a few minutes to talk with him and didn't get to ask all my questions. Does this get you all the major networks and shows like Walking Dead, Star Wars Rebels or Big Bang Theory and Modern Family? Is it really less expensive? We're so busy we watch everything on DVR. Is that an option for streaming?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generally, yes it is cheaper than not cutting the cord, but you can get caught up in some large expenses if you go too far.

First of all, your cable company is going to charge you full price for the internet access instead of the package deal pricing. (Usually starts at $59.99 a month.)
    Second, to really get everything you need, you'll need more than one service and each one costs money.
    Third, as of right now, there's no DVR functionality on Sling. Roku doesn't offer it either.

What you need is a service that allows you to watch shows that aired and have them available online now when you want them.

Let's break down the pricing...

$59.99 for internet.
    $12.99 for Hulu (this will get you major network shows).
    $40.XX+ for Sling, plus all of the add on ala carte options you'll need to obtain your shows.
    There are two reasons why I say you need Hulu... 1.) Day after broadcast access for the shows and 2.) Sling only provides you local channels if you're in an area where it can obtain them. If you're rural, you're not getting them. They're usually only available in metro and city areas.

You're looking at roughly $122.98 before tax. It's still a savings over cable, by far. Especially if you buy your own modem and stop renting from the cable company. Most cable bills with these packages run between $150-200.00+

One other problem, if you're streaming and someone else is streaming, your connection speed will take a hit and the video quality will drop from 1080p to 720p, and if it's really heavy that day, it'll drop all the way down to 480p which gets pixelated and rough looking until it can pick up speed again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    This is way better thank what I was going to say.

To keep my opinion short. Don't do it.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife and I did away with cable (satellite, in our case) years ago. Like you, we are both very busy, not a lot of time to sit and watch TV, and we felt like we were paying a lot of money for stuff we weren't using.

We have AT&T U-Verse for our internet and streaming, and we watch everything through Netflix. The main drawback here is we never get to see anything current, we're always a season behind. And of course if Netflix doesn't offer it for streaming we're out of luck.

Our U-Verse bill is $81.00 a month, and Netflix is... I don't remember, but it's not expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I don't live in the US, but I have no cable for years now. I had a roku 3 imported, which is really nice, but then I bought a ps3 and now I use plex and Netflix on it and I want to sell the roku. 120MBit/s Internet costs 29,99€, Netflix for 4k and four devices simultaneously costs about 10,99 and I'm sharing my account with 3 friends. I have plex server running on my synology nas and put all the shows and movies on it, that I don't have on DVD/Blu-ray or which are not yet on Netflix. But even without plex I would have a lot to watch on Netflix, I have an endless list of shows and movies in my list, that I don't know when to watch all that. Even before I cancelled cable, I haven't watched regular TV in years. I'm not missing anything. Broadcasted TV is a thing of the past. Plex is free, but I bought a lifetime pass to support them and have better support.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    dropped charter about 2 years ago now. my bill was 205 and they dropped basic cable under the guise of giving everyone digital cable at no charge.....except you had to have a topset box for any TV you wanted to watch cable on. In my case that cut 3 Tvs out of the house and I wasnt getting a price break on the boxes. I kept their internet picked up a nighthawk router, Netflix, and Hulu and never looked back. I dont get to watch somethings I used to but I watch more things I didnt when I had cable...walking dead, Empire, breaking bad. so much stuff i didnt have time for. when all I really did was leave the TV on tbs, usa, or fox anyway. plus the netflix and hulu exclusive content is pretty good to boot. Everyones experience maybe different but im paying 59 for internet and what ever Hulu and Netflix cost I think together its only 25 bucks? so im still under $100 a month and im happy

• Like Like x 1
  7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I dropped cable years ago, and it's been a great decision for me. I'm using a Roku 3 and an HTPC with KODI in my living room. I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll.

Whether you should do it depends on what you want. Live sports are a sticking point for a lot of people, for instance, but I don't care about it. You should research what's available on the services you're considering and also check whether you'll be able to use local digital OTA broadcasts to fill in any gaps.

For each device you're considering, look at what services it supports. Roku devices probably have the strongest support overall. However, an Android TV box might have all the services you need plus the ability to run apps and games. I've heard Apple TV is improving, and it's the only set-top device family that natively supports videos from iTunes. If there's a device you really like that's missing a service you want, look into whether it's feasible for you to get that service's content onto the device indirectly and whether you're OK with having to go that route. For example, a lot of content can be streamed from a phone, tablet, or PC to Chromecast, Roku, Android TV, etc. I'm also able to get iTunes content onto my Roku and HTPC by using the Requiem application and an older Windows XP version of iTunes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

We run Netflix, Kodi, YouTube and torrent the rest of what we want to watch.

Costs us about $120 a month (canadian) for unlimited 60mbs internet. We dropped cable about 6 years ago and never looked back.

If we really want to watch something bad enough like Superbowl that isn't available online very well, we'll go to the parents.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Is there something else than unlimited Internet?

10. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    A friend watches live sports on the internet. There's always a way to watch anything.

11. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    A lot of internet providers will cap your usage, which is a pain if you stream everything

12. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah our IP here offers bandwidth limits for 20-30 bucks cheaper for each speed. If ya don't use a lot of internet but still want it fast, its handy to save the money

13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will admit that this is one thing that Time Warner/Charter Spectrum (since it's all one company, now) excels at by not having a bandwidth or data cap. My family uses a lot, it would be rather awful if we were capped.

(I think caps are utter bullshit.)

14. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Some good points here.
    I just want to reiterate about the antenna. You'd be surprised how many over the air stations you can get with a halfway decent antenna as long as you are somewhat near a city.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hulu, Netflix and Sling. Just over $40 a month gets me about 95% of anything I'd ever want to watch. $60 a month plus fees for Internet and we are around $75 less a month than we used to pay.

Cut the cord.

16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I use Roku for streaming. I don't count the cost of internet because I need that regardless of whatever my TV situation is.

To be fair, I have a friend that has me on their Netflix account and I am gifted Amazon Prime every year on my birthday (thanks, Mom), so my TV cost right now is $0.00

I've done a free trial of Sling TV and it's worth the $20 a month. Will probably subscribe once baseball season starts.

But my overall point is that Cable TV is absolutely not worth the cost.

The Super Bowl is provided free of charge to those who use streaming services, FWIW. You go through the app of whichever network has the rights that year.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I cut the cable months ago and haven't looked back and I've been saving over 100 a month since then. I use roku on all of my tvs and use Playstation Vue for streaming service and Netflix. Vue gives me all of the channels I watched the most of when I was on cable for live streaming, and anything else that isn't, I record, and it's only $30 a month for their lowest tiered service. PM me if you want to learn more.

18. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

My wife and I started with cable + Netflix, then went Netflix + Network websites (with Ad Blocker), and we now use just Netflix for pretty much everything with a bit of YouTube on the side.

It took a while to get used to not watching things like Arrow, The Flash, and Walking Dead while they aired, but once we got used to it, it is sooooo much better when an entire season drops and we can just watch it at our own pace. The main drawbacks were: 1) the drought we went through the first time we waited for new seasons to show up, and 2) avoiding spoilers for the stuff we really care about.