Minor/Repaint: Custom YOTH

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DoodleBrandon, Sep 2, 2014.

1. DoodleBrandon

DoodleBrandon Well-Known Member

Having never purchased the original MP-10 (when the price was reasonable) I was excited to get the Year of the Horse edition with the intention of immediately stripping the gold and repainting those parts silver. Oh, and repainting the trailer too. But it didn't take long before one added detail led to another and I was completely disassembling him for a full makeover.
    The darker red and blue shades of this edition appealed to me so I left them alone but almost everything else has been painted.
    The trailer was a complete repaint obviously. The grey, silver and black were spray painted, as well as the blue stations inside the trailer, but the rest was hand painted. The gun was sprayed dull black with some minor silver dry brushing added in.
    There's a bunch more I could talk about but I'll avoid boring you and just let you look at pictures now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. DoodleBrandon

Here are some more shots of the trailer and of truck mode. Thank you so much for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Rezwalker

Rezwalker New Member

amazing

Amazing !
    the trailer is really nice :cool: 

4. Dogmatician

Dogmatician Magnus

He is stunning. I am so regretting not getting a YOTH Optimus now. What paint did you use for the sliver on the trailer?

5. KnightStrike

KnightStrike Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That is phenomenal work! That is one incredible looking Optimus!

6. wingheaven7

wingheaven7 Well-Known Member

just wow, hands down best youth repaint i've ever seen. Looks like a real tractor trailer in alt mode.

Very impressive.

7. arMadillo

arMadillo Well-Known Member

dear lord that is sweet! love all the detail work in his chest, under the trailer and inside the trailer. Your hard work paid off big time! What's your plans for the autobot logo on the trailer?

8. skankabilly

skankabilly Member

Amazing job man! I have a few questions if you have time to answer them. I have a YOTH that im doing my first custom paint on and I was wondering, how did you paint the gold part on his forehead without getting paint on the blue edges(because I love the dark blue and red like you)??? and what kind of paint did you use as well? tamyia chrome isn't working to well with me. The silver flake wont stay consistent when im brushing. And one more question, how did you paint the autobot symbol so well? I guess it must be the same technique as his forehead? Thanks so much for any help you can give me. Again, incredible job on yours man!

9. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Looks great! I have almost the same plans for my YOTH, but will do a black trailer for him. I can't imagine how many hours you spent hand painting that guy, I just started a small custom and it takes forever!

10. DoodleBrandon

Thank you!

Thanks! The silver and grey of the trailer are 2-part aircraft spray paint that I "borrowed" from work.

Thank you!

Thanks man. As I was working on him and adding more and more detail, I realized my goal for him was to be more realistic vs. cartoon accurate. The look I was going for was what they did in the movie where the symbol is stamped into the metal and not painted.

11. DoodleBrandon

The head was actually easy once you take it apart. There are two screws in the back. Once removed the head will come apart in two pieces.
    [​IMG]

Then you can push the forehead part right through the front. Since you paint it while removed, no need to worry about messy edges! Just be prepared to get frustrated putting it back together. The ear pieces don't like to stay put.
    [​IMG]

The forehead crest and face I painted with Testor's silver enamel. It's a pretty good match for the faceplate and it goes on pretty smooth, very few brush strokes.
    Most of the paint that I used for the detail work is Testor's enamel. I have found that I just prefer it over acrylic. The only time I use acrylic is for panel lines mostly.
    For the chrome on the grills, gas tanks, etc. I used the Krylon "Premium Original Chrome" spray can that others on here turned me on to. It's pretty good as long as you let it sit for a few days to fully cure. Not exactly like chrome but it looks good I think.

Attached Files:

12. DoodleBrandon

Thank you! Yeah I don't even know how many hours total it took. Working only an hour or two at a time at night, maybe 3 or 4 nights a week if I was lucky, it took a few months. It's fun though!

13. DoodleBrandon

Shoot, I missed your autobot symbol question. It was a bit of a pain. I taped it off and painted the whole thing white. Then I came back and lightly hand brushed the red with a fairly dry brush so it wouldn't run all over. It took a couple of coats and there was a little bit of touch up needed on the white. I read someone on here talking about "reverse washing" where he painted it all red and then washed it in white. I think I might try that next time although I bet it takes several coats for the white to cover up the red. Good luck on yours by the way!

14. skankabilly

skankabilly Member

Amazing work man! How did you paint the autobot symbol?? Im working on my YOTH and im stuck when it comes to this.. Any tips would help so much!

15. skankabilly

skankabilly Member

oh sorry man I didn't see your reply before I asked about the autobot symbol again haha. Thanks man, I appreciate all your help! Im still not sure how ill go about painting the symbol but thanks so much for the tips for his head, it worked great!

16. djao99

djao99 Well-Known Member

great painting job bro! hope we can see how to disassemble amd paint. i got a YOTH MP-10 prime i needly want to repaint it :)  thanks ;) 

17. SuperOptimus

SuperOptimus Fan / Customizer / Designer / Fabricator

DoodleBrandon,

You can do paint work for me anytime! I would happily hire you.
    Have some customs I need painted soon.

18. DoodleBrandon

Thank you! I would be happy to do a tutorial, although I got a lot of tips from others on this forum. If I do one of my own (which I may because there were some things I couldn't find, I had to figure it out on my own) it won't be for a while since I'm out of town and away from all the pictures I took. I'll let you know if I ever get around to it!

19. DoodleBrandon

I'd be happy to! PM me and I'll let you know if I think it's within my skill range :) 

20. SuperOptimus

SuperOptimus Fan / Customizer / Designer / Fabricator

Believe me, if you can do that, then you can do any of my stuff.
    Mine would be a bit more simple, and possibly easier.
    I'll be sure to PM you with what I'd like done first. You can PM me
    and we can exchange info. Thanks a lot!