Customs: Custom "Toy"

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Littlebott, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Littlebott

Littlebott New Member

Hello everybody,

I will start by giving a brief summary so that if it's not of interest you don't need to bother continuing to read (I ramble a good lot so it would otherwise take a good while for you to glean your level of interest). This is about making a custom bedroom toy with a transformer theme and gaining some opinions from other people of like mind.

I'm not a collector myself but my boyfriend is very much one. He is quite the enthusiast and I am fully supportive of his nerdy habits as I have many of my own. I have done my best to keep up with and know about his hobby because it's something that means something to him but I claim no expertise.

For his birthday I would like to create a custom "toy". I will try not to be terribly graphic, because I am unsure of the rules on this site, but a few friends of mine make custom silicone toys for bedroom use. I had considered simply buying him a transformer but it would be impossible to determine what he has, doesn't have, doesn't want, etc etc. without giving away that I am buying him said gift. So custom seems the appropriate fit and why not make it dual purpose? Before I get started on a mold, or even a detailed sketch, I'd like to get some opinions from other collectors and enthusiasts.

1. Is this even a good idea? Does it infringe upon something innocent you enjoyed in your youth? Is it tiresome to get transformer themed gifts rather than figures you really want??

2. I'm going to upload a sketch of a few ideas but he is very particular about details (as I assume most collectors are) so would it be best to keep the interpretation kind of loose? For example; very detailed mold but perhaps marbled coloring verses a less detailed mold and a custom paint job. Or should I be aiming to get it as detailed and accurate as possible in consideration with the medium?

3. Do you think the model will make a huge difference?? When gathering inspiration and resource material I've become increasingly aware that the various series and toys all look different. Would I be better off looking at the cartoon to reference? Or the toys themselves? Or would it be of little consequence which model so long as it was a character you liked?

4. Honestly any better ideas? For bedroom toys or for a better gift even. Is there another transformer that would lend better to a bedroom design?

General opinions are welcome! Thank you all for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
  3. MastaBlasta

MastaBlasta Knight Industries Two Thousand

Combiner wars Vortex/blades are similar to astrotrain how the feet work so they (it?) can work

4. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Nomenclature Nominator

On your question 1. It's pretty creative and I'd bet with all the merchandise they've already done they wish they could expand into any market. That being said, I do actually prefer an actual TF over anything that is something else TF themed. I'm not a fan of merchandising outside the primary product. But this... this is a whole different ball game. Heh...

Anyway, character suggestions... um...

It may be overly simple, but the original Omega Supreme had forearms that came together as a rocket... kind of lends itself... with some imagination. Omegasm Supreme? The design even has a stand meant for it.

If he's really into the comics, there's "whatever Rung turns into." He's the one being held in the 2nd picture. But I wouldn't recognize it as such, so that's probably not the one.

I think your Shockwave concept is spot on.

Good luck with your endavor.

Attached Files:

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Doesn't get much better than BWII Galvatron's "drill tank" mode.