Custom Toy Box Templates

Discussion in 'Commissioner Listing and Feedback' started by dmpdesign, Dec 18, 2022.

1. dmpdesign

dmpdesign New Member

*Reposting this from another board that I think I posted in the wrong place (if board admins can remove my custom request board post I would greatly appreciate it.)

I for one get tired of people on ebay shafting me when I order boxes from Portugal or china, they rarely come and when they do they are a mess of patched together home printed junk glued to paper that barely resembles a box or the images they show in their fuzzy shots online.

I have absolutely no interest in selling premade boxes but I have a knack for making very nice templates and can provide instructions for interested folks on where/how to get them printed to look quite nice on your shelf. My methods create a darn near perfect remake of pretty much any G1 transformer box (though I have dabbled into other toy lines). I do not replicate them 100%, they are custom made from the ground up for a single print on large sheets of poster paper, not sewn together smaller panels from letter sized paper. Where possible all logos/text and box design (excluding original art of course) are hand made vector reproductions. In some cases I photograph the toys too to create the images on the boxes.

Any collector would know they are fake in hand, they are (where I get them printed) shinier than the originals (as they are laminated and thus quite impervious to boot) and slightly less thick card stock used in the print process. You could of course take my template and get it printed somewhere that could in fact replicate the original box sturdiness and finish if you felt so inclined.

So the question is, would there be interest? Im not looking to get rich, just maybe make a website with professionally made downloadable templates for a small fee (to maintain my ability to continue making these), maybe $10-$15 for the files or via some sort of patreon thing where I create new boxes as needed for the community - more of a service to help people get what they want than make any kind of profit. The main focus would be to make boxes that never existed but should have, like the omnibots, an English version of the encore series rereleases etc, things like that. I will post some examples of ones I have made below.

Note custom requests may require access to original art, such as the shogun warrior box below, if there isn't a reference image online I would have to photograph the art on the original box and photoshop retouch it to remove scratches/scrapes/bends etc and restore it.

If this is a crap idea you can tell me that too ;) 

Attached Files: