Minor/Repaint: Custom Titanmaster Transtectors (sorta WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by greboguru, Jan 30, 2017.

1. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Recently I've been taking some of my less-than-favorite TF toys and modifying them to serve as Transtectors for the many Titanmasters/Headmasters that don't have full-scale TF bodies they can control.

Several of the WfC/FoC figures are not exactly superb toys, but still acceptable. Perfect candidates for decapitation! (Naturally, I'm saving the removed heads for use on other customs.)

I've already posted the Star Wars Crossovers Saesee Tiin/Delta-7 Aetherspite and the Classics Galvatron, but I've included them here as well since they're relevant -- and since I'm using Monzo on all of them, purely for demonstration.

Monzo is pretty much married to my Classics Galvatron -- the color match is virtually perfect. Since I consider Classix Galvy superfluous in the presence of my Titans Return Galvatron anyway, the toy has instead become Monzo's "Galva-Tank" Transtector.

I've yet to decide which Titanmasters will go with the other transtectors, for the most part.

The Star Wars Crossovers Saesee Tiin/Delta-7 Aethersprite is great because the cockpit is almost perfect for a Titanmaster (after I tore out the minifugre's seat, that is). Similarly, the square hole where the original Seasee Tiin head was mounted is pretty much a perfect fit for Monzo's head/peg. It's not quite as much of a perfect fit for some other TMs though. That being the case, I might give it the same treatment I gave WfC Sideswipe.

Speaking of War for Cybertron Sideswipe, he's a unique case. In the vehicle mode, there's no good place to put the Titanmaster to serve as a driver. I've faked it with a TM-compatible gun, but I feel the need to build up some kind of more legitimate driver module. Also, I accidentally drilled out Sideswipe's neck hole too wide, so I fixed that by inserting a rubber washer-thingy cannibalized from a spare Zoids Blox (a.k.a. Z-Builders) toy/kit. It works so well that I'm probably gonna do the same for the other Transtectors.

First on that list should be Fall of Cybertron Roadbuster, whose neck hole isn't done being drilled yet. Hence, in the picture, Monzo is just balanced in place, and thus rides too high and looks rather awkward. I'll fix him up soon.

The MARS Convertors Bio-Mixer (the blue cement mixer) I've paired with Terri-Bull is a maybe. It's too large, really, for a Titanmaster. I might use a larger Headmaster-type figure for it. It's a pretty good color match though. The interior of the cab is hollow and spacious, so it's easy to fit the Titanmaster inside for driving. The problem is that there's no place to mount the TM when the Transtector is in robot mode -- in the pic, I just stuck in a random bit of some orange toy and just placed the TM atop it. Doesn't look real great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  2. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Pinpoint Doodle User#3

News Credits:
    That's cool!

• Like Like x 1
  3. King Glurch

King Glurch You're a fool, Starscream!

YouTube:
    If only I had the skills/bravery to do that. That's awesome though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. greboguru

Thanx man! I just realized, though, I should have added some notes...
    [edits original post]
    OK, there.

Thank you! At it's core, it's pretty easy, really. Just select an appropriate TF, remove the original head, then dremel a hole in the neck area to plug in the Titanmaster's head/peg. When dremelling, start with a too-small hole, and gradually drill it out more and more, stopping to see if the TM can fit in yet. At a certain point, you'll get the hole the right size without going too wide.

5. King Glurch

King Glurch You're a fool, Starscream!

YouTube:
    Well, when you put it like that, it doesn't sound so hard. I might have to try it sometime. I do have something like that in mind though...

• Like Like x 1
  6. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Very nice work. Love that MARS convertors cement truck. Where did you find him, I have never found him in my neck of the woods.

7. greboguru

Thanks Warhawk. If I remember correctly, I found him at a Ross here in San Francisco. I originally bought him just for his head, which I removed so I could use it for a different custom. I kept the headless toy around in my scrap box, figuring I'd never use it for anything... yet here he is!

8. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Brilliant uses for them figs!

• Like Like x 1
  9. greboguru

Gracias man!

10. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool. Good way to reuse forgotten figures/molds.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Awesome idea! This really breathes new life into those old molds.

• Like Like x 1
  12. greboguru

Thanks guys! I know, right?

13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome! Really improves the Star Wars molds. I wish they were transformers characters as Star Wars vehicles from the start.

• Like Like x 1
  14. greboguru

Thanx mang!

Agreed. Although, really, there are very few Star Wars Crossovers molds that I consider even bearable, regardless of head design. The X-Wing and Turbo Tank aren't terrible, but they're not as good as the Aethersprite. The Marvel Crossovers actually have more good molds... I think? I don't own any, but I plan to change that soon.

God, me too. And why the heck has Hasbro never done proper G.I.Joe Transformers?!?

15. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Are you going to repaint any of them?

Also, when I saw one of those pics, I thought...

PicsArt_1486028732341.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

^ Cute Taco reference.

17. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

I strongly encourage this line of exploration. The idea of doing the entire FOC Bruticus/Ruination team as Titan Masters is... well, I really like it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. greboguru

Probably not. I might add a little bit of paint here and there, but by and large I don't really like painting TFs. It's super hard to get it right, and the joints and pegs and ports and slots and tabs and generally high amount of parts rubbing against each other makes it a seemingly futile undertaking. At least for me -- I'm far from a pro when it comes to customizing.

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement! I'm happy you dig the idea underlying this little project. I'll keep fiddling with these toys and similar kinds of efforts, and I'll post new stuff whenever.

19. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:

I'm not that great when it comes to joints and panels, etc, but you could consider painting on the non-rubbing parts, such as the alt-mode "shell" and then things like the chest, head, forearms legs, get, etc and then add details, such as eyes, molded details (circuitry, intake vents, engines, etc) and/or some Reprolabels.

If you can unscrew something, line a head, remove the light piping, then you can paint those small bits easily and then easily screw them back together.

In this way, you could make some pretty nice new characters!

• Like Like x 1
  20. greboguru

I've done some more work on my Transtector project. Decapitated several toys, and used Zoids Blox (or "Z-Builders") rubber washers as Titanmaster sockets. Really effective. I'm posting a pic of each here, gonna make a separate thread for each one though.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1