Minor/Repaint: Custom Ruckus by Sifu (100% paint-free)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sifu Steve, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Sifu Steve

Sifu Steve I'm... Just a soldier.

Ebay:
    With Project Mayhem back up and running I couldn't resist improving on my rather weak Ruckus custom - especially with such an obvious choice for the base body!

The new improved V2:
    [​IMG]

... and Ruckus V1:
    [​IMG]

"Ruckus is dead... Long live Ruckus!"

CONCEPT
    I really wasn't happy with my first version of Ruckus for a couple of reasons. The first was that I just didn't like the mould I'd had to use (3 versions no less!). The second was the horrible paint job I had to do on his chest. When I saw the Wolverine Crossover toy, I knew it was my chance to redeem him. Conceptually, he had to look either aggressive or psychotic.

PRELIMINARIES
    As this was going to be a relatively straightforward head swap, with no paint, there was very little prior preparation required. Removing Wolverine's head did require the use of a hair dryer to heat it up. The head itself is made of a much more rubbery plastic so the heat made it possible to pop off.

WORK
    As you can see, I went down a totally different avenue for Ruckus V2... and I'm so glad I did. To be honest, I don't think I'd have bothered if the Wolverine Crossover mould wasn't so damn perfect for him. The right alt mode in the right colours (mostly). After acquiring that, I set about sourcing a suitable head when lo and behold, I spot a head in my bits box that's as near as perfect as I could hope for: Botcon Pyro (the head was there as I've replaced it with a Shapeways custom)! The head swap however proved quite difficult as the joints are totally different and the head wouldn't easily fold inside. Much testing and adjusting was done to get the neck short enough to be able to fold away but long enough to give mobility.
    [​IMG]

So I'm sat there with this wonderful little Ruckus staring at me, telling me that just because he's now got spring-loaded claws, it doesn't make him a Triggercon. I resign myself to finding some sort of over-the-shoulder rig. On the same shelf was FoC Runination and his backpack had what I needed (I could replace it with FoC Bruticus' anyway). In my bits box I find some replaced City Commander rocket launchers (as befits his original weapon description) and the rail is complete. But how to fit an 5mm peg into an 8mm hole? Then the final 'as if' moment happens and I spot a piece of cut-off plastic from the head swap: a ring about 8mm wide with a 5mm hole drilled through it. A little bit of glue and the job's done. As an afterthought, it came out quite well but he won't balance in anything other than the knee-taking pose so it'll probably get stashed.
    [​IMG]

PAINT
    None. Not a drop.

SUMMARY
    All told, he's a much better figure for the squad. He's maybe a little too big and he doesn't have as much G1 in him as I'd have liked.

Thanks for dropping by...

Sifu 師傅

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    awesome :thumb 

3. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Dude, that is TIGHT! It's like Ruckus on steroids. Unlike Uncle Ruckus, no relation.

4. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome work!

5. stevil33

stevil33 Army of Wastemen

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Like this alot!!

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

That actually works pretty nicely. A nice quick mod. Some of these late G1 characters aren't so bad after all! :lol 

zmog

7. Sifu Steve

Sifu Steve I'm... Just a soldier.

Ebay:
    Thanks man.

I see what you did there... Cheers for the comment. I like that he came out looking a lot more butch than V1 that just looked miserable.

Thank you.

Good stuff.

It's nice when an easy mod just lands in your lap. The Mayhem Attack Squad were an afterthought and were just supposed to be something to stand on the shelf opposite my Wreckers collection. The problem was that lots of the Wreckers have had modern iterations so I had to make a few custom Mayhems otherwise it would have looked like Universe Vs G1.

The Crossover moulds aren't amazing but they do make for some easy bases: I've just completed a FoC Sideswipe from the Ironman car Crossover and I have Ironhide to make from Capt America and Ironman Humvee moulds. The fact that they're quite chunky makes them for good renditions of G1 characters.