Customs: Custom POTP Abominus Head

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by darqen, Dec 7, 2018.

1. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of using a spare head from the PE PC Computron set as it has the visor and the right shape for POTP Abominus. Can anyone give me any advice on painting this? I do a lot of acrylic model painting but this is my first TF paint custom. Particularly the following points:

- Do i need to tread the head or can i just paint straight on it? Primer, or will the thickness cause problems?
    - Will the shininess of the head cause any problems?
    - How do I avoid the paint getting too thick
    - thoughts on advoiding paint rubbing / clearance issues?
    - What do i use to seal and give a glossy finish?

2. kneero

kneero Well-Known Member

Wash the piece with soap and water. Then use a primer. Krylon fusion works well. Light base coat for bright colors, dark for dark
    Shininess should be a non issue
    Multiple thin coats will help with thickness
    sand rub spots slightly to help with clearance issues
    Clear spray paint or future floor polish.

I've painted a lot of minis over the years. Most of those techniques transfer well to TF's

3. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

Awesome thank you very much for the advice. One thing I forgot to ask is do you think it will be worth leaving it in an iso alcohol bath for a couple of days to remove current paint?

4. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

Ok so I’ve washed the head down, primed and painted the grey bits in using revell aqua colour acrylic - so far so good. Then I got a Vallejo fluorescent magenta paint and after a few coats it seemed to go rubbery and then just peeled straight off. Anybody got any suggestions of colours for tamiya / revell paints or what I could mix to get this
    Shade as I can’t find a direct match

5. kneero

kneero Well-Known Member

The piece in question is hard plastic and not rubbery plastic correct? Rubbery plastic doesn't take paint as well. If it is rubbery, you could cover it in thin coats of super glue, then repaint. Is the paint old? Could be the issue. Otherwise try thinning it further and go for more coats.