Heavy/Scratch: Custom Movie Megatron Prototype

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by new-tron, Nov 30, 2009.

1. MattoMogwai

MattoMogwai Some Robot in Disguise

EPIC! I want him!

2. Unicron the Pla

Unicron the Pla Cybertronian Accountant

Dude!!!!!!! :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  This is awesome, if Hasbro or Takara dont abduct you and take you to work for them their is something seriously wrong with them.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I love you.

4. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    pretty sweet

5. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would buy that

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    Amazing!!!!!!!!!

7. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    That's some heavy duty scratch building you've got there! Seriously impressive work man! Am I the only one who thinks he has sort of an Animated look to him?

8. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

No offence intended, but I'm starting to think this mod is B.S.! New-tron hasn't responded for some time. I politely requested more pics and New-tron hasn't responded again to any of our comments. This custom looks incredible in the pics, but that doesn't mean it tranforms. If He or She is legit I would think He or She would show some consideration. I would love to hear from you "New-Tron".:D 

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    New-tron has responded twice, who knows what reason they're not answering, might not have access to internet, or busy with job or something. No reason to call it bullshit

10. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have INCREDIBLE skills. I think if you want to, and if you put your mind to it, you could definitely work for Hasbro.

11. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

If you actually read all of my post you would see it wasn't so much a slam as it was my way of trying to get him to come out of hiding. Didn't mean for you to get butt-hurt and launch a counter attack. SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still looking forward to hearing from New-Tron. If this figure does actually transform, it's one of the coolest customs ever.

12. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the vehicle mode pic was megs TF'd?

Anyways, I'd like to hear more about upcoming figures or more progress on this :) 

13. new-tron

new-tron Member

rmac-69, I actually appreciate you calling me out, and everyone else for their interest, comments, and criticism. I haven't responded in a while because 1) I thought my thread was dead, and people were disinterested in this, and what I can and plan to do, 2) I've been working on an Ironhide design (almost done by the way), and 3) I'm not a big forum poster kind of guy, I have something like 5 posts.

I actually check into this site frequently to see what's going on in the Transformers world. I must say that in the last few days or so I've become very intrigued by the developments of MasterCollectables and FansProject. With about 200 parts, the Nova Prime figure has at least 30 more parts than my Blackout design. And FP continues to do, and how they do it with their site and all, I have to admit, I'm very impressed. I would love to emulate what they're doing, but these companies or groups are just that, groups. For me, it's just me. I just got into this about a year ago but I do see myself doing this in the future. What has also really kept me from pursuing to become a 3rd party maker for now, is all of the legal aspects. I really like Transformers and would love to design toys, art, etc. but I'm not looking to get mixed up in any legal issues. In regards to working for Hasbro, I attended Botcon for the first time, I didn't know they had such things until this year, and spoke to one of their head people, and showed him this painted prototype. We spoke for quite some time, I gave him a card, but he never called or emailed. From what I understand, they only have a handful or two of designers between their two companies, so positions are very limited. I only hope that my next prototype toy is much more impressive as I would use them as a resume of sorts. Otherwise, if they would just sell licenses or allow 3rd parties to produce and distribute their characters/IP, I'd be all over it. Until then...

Anyways, this toy does transform. But as much as I'm proud of it, it doesn't meet my standards of a design that would functionally work as a good Transformers toy. When I initially started this project, I had no idea how complex or complicated engineering one of these things can be. It's like a rubiks cube on steroids. I still went ahead and did it and this is the result. I'm going to revisit this character design (Megatron from first film) some time in the future, but right now, I've just finished a Blackout and ROTF Megatron designs that I think would make excellent toys. I don't know exactly how good they'd be until I actually prototype them though. And because I'm not working right now, it will be some time before I can proceed to that next stage. The good thing though is that I'm getting very accustomed to the way that I'm designing these. I've heard that it takes a year or so to design a Leader class toy, for me these designs take 2, maybe 3 months tops excluding electronic sounds and lights (I don't care for them). If I had the proper resources, I'd be able to verify my designs with prototypes as stated before, and I'd be more than happy to sell these things.

I'm including a few pics of the pre-painted figure straight from my digital camera, a few photoshopped ones, and a few teaser images of my latest works. I hope you guys like them, and I'm looking forward to read more of your feedback. Thank you.

Attached Files:

14. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those previews are slick! Color me intrigued...

Are those 3D renders? Do you use a rapid prototyper for your prototype?

15. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

Wow! I can't tell how much it means you geting back. I really didn't mean any offence, just hoping that you would give some kind of update. I would love to see your designs come to the market. I know I would be a customer. Can't wait ot see your next designs come to fruition. Thanks again:D 

16. new-tron

new-tron Member

The last two are, with only the faces shown. I hired/paid someone to prototype the parts for me then I put them together.

17. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, that must of cost a lot to get those prototyped, unless you got a buddy with a 3d printer. :D 

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very interesting. Its intriguing to see what the original megatron design could have been given enough time. And its very interesting to see where your new models are going also. I sincerely hope you get around to making these 2 soon, as I would love to see what they look like. One suggestion though is to make the bodies a bit... deeper?? I think that's the word what I'm looking for. Also, TFTM Megatrons fusion cannon looks slick as hell man. I hope to see the others soon.

19. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

Good luck on your endeavours man ! I hope you do break the market to sell some of these one day.

Its one thing to have a job that you can do .. but to have a job that you love .. now that is living.

20. MattoMogwai

MattoMogwai Some Robot in Disguise

I STILL need this.