Heavy/Scratch: Custom Movie Megatron Prototype

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by new-tron, Nov 30, 2009.

1. new-tron

new-tron Member

In 2007 after seeing the movie I once again gravitated to one of my childhood fascinations. But it wasn't until Christmas time that year when I scrambled to find toys for my nephews that I first saw the leader class movie toys. I know a lot of people didn't/don't like movie Megatron's design, but to me it was something new, alien, aggressive, intimidating, etc., and I really like it. But as I looked at the two toys of Optimus and Megatron, there was a huge discrepancy between the two leader class aesthetics. Prime looked fantastic and very well represented his on-screen counterpart, while Megatron...well, I guess tried (still bought them both as gifts though). In 2008 I got to sketching up designs and wanted to create a better toy version of Megatron, and so I did. It was quite rushed and I didn't have any "toy-making" or "toy-designing" experience, but as an artist and being somewhat technically-inclined, I gave it a shot.

These are a few pics of the toy painted (I'm not that good at painting). It has multiple points of articulation and transforms into his jet (head purposely left underneath because I didn't like it on top), although some of his joints in his arms and thighs are somewhat loose.

Initially I wanted to sell my design/services to Hasbro, but I don't think this one design is going to cut it. So I've left it as is for now, and have studied and familiarized myself with some the engineering aspects of leader class toys and the such to understand how to engineer them to be "play-able". Now, better versed, I have a Blackout and ROTF Megatron fully designed and ready to be prototyped, and I am currently working on Ironhide (all current toys that can be improved in my opinion). Once I have enough money, I'll go ahead and produce them and show. I should have posted a long time ago, but I hope you like it, if not or if so, let me know.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. TFElite

TFElite Active Member

Buddy, this thing is SEXY!!!!!!!!!
    Why don't you work at hasbro? i would have bought this on sight!
    Can't wait to see the others!
    How tall is it?

3. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

Hasbro/Takaratomy, you watching? This is how it should be done. Excellent job.

4. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

:bowdown:  Mate, if those new designs are half as good as that Megatron, please pm me and let me know when and where to desposit my money.
    I'm not kidding, that is OUTSTANDING work, I'm pretty sure alot of fans would be interested should you produce more.
    ...and the line starts HERE! :thumbs2: 

5. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

And the line continues with me. Man that looks good!

6. Protoform X

Protoform X Predicon Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

third in line, woo! nice work

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    woah man that is great! YIKES!

but a small explanation why the megsfigures are no accurate:

prime hasn't changed, so takara/hasbro has 4 years for development. the megatron design switched 4 times!

movie megatron (1 year development)
    movie/rotf-hybrid megatron (6 month development)
    flying tank megatron (9 month development
    rotf megatron (9 month development)

so they must do them again and again and again..... the next one has the rotf design is could be great!!!!

8. new-tron

new-tron Member

I want to produce a legitimate toy first with working ratcheting joints, etc. I though 14" would be a good size, turns out to be too big though. Compared to other leader class figures, it's about 3.5" to 4" taller.

9. new-tron

new-tron Member

I personally think that my newer designs are actually better because I now understand better how to engineer a more functional figure. It will be a while before I get one made though because it cost quite a bit. I'll get some pictures of the design up though. As far as producing more of this guy, I first want to make sure I have a quality figure at least on par with other mass produced toys. Besides, I don't want any problems/issues with distributing Megatron, if you know what I mean.

10. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

YES !

my hero !

Seriously dude .. I have been saying so long, why didn't they just make the legs transform into the rear of the jet !

I always found megatron's legs hanging under the wings so UNNECESSARY when in fact, he has a very simple transformation !

11. fryk000

fryk000 Member

3-4 inches taller actually works for movie Megs. It seems like the same size difference between Ops and Megs in the movie.

12. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I totally agree. Why they produced him with so much kibble is beyond me when they could have easily designed him so much differently to be more movie accurate, and at the same time easier to produce. Afterall, they're suppose to be professionals. Maybe they need some new blood. Scratch that, they have the talent, what they need is new management.

However, that said, you did a comepletely awesome job of accurately reproducing movie Megs. You Sir have some incredible talent. Last year I did a major mod job of movie Megs but didn't completely finish him because I was stumped on how to finish the tailend. You pulled it off very nicely. Just off hand, do you have any more pics? I would love to see some side and back shots as well as comparisons shots. Thanks in advance.

13. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, this is amazing work! It looks laser prototyped? Must of been a lot of work on the 3d/Cad part.... Looking forward to see what else you do with this and future projects. :thumb 

14. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's..... so beautiful:cry 

15. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you say that you have a Leader-class Blackout planned??

Get it done already! The masses are waiting!
    :) 

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Amazing work man.

17. JakmanFirby

JakmanFirby The Jakman

News Credits:
    whoaaaa ow!!!

18. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

after seeing the megatron, i am psyched on your blackout!

19. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Fully scratchbuilt? You are taking this into a whole other level, man. :thumb 

Can't wait to see the other designs you've cooked up.

20. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    This is awesome!!!! Hasbro should watch this and be ashamed of their self!