Customs: Custom Movie Figures. WOW

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Lion, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    ...and this is one of the things that happens any time his name pops up anywhere.
    Hell, if were him, I'd have to be pretty damned pleased with myself. Making tons of money on some repainted movie figs, and one of the most popular names in customizing, no such thin as bad press, and all that.
    To be honest, I've always had some beef with "career" customizing. I used to sell a lot of my stuff, but usually it was just when I grew tired of it, or made something different, etc.
    A lot of folks, Jin included, customize for the sole purpose of turning a profit.
    Anything wrong with that? No, not really. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "work of art" or "one of a kind," since he'll no doubt do more if these sell well, but that's really about it.
    Doesn't really effect my opinion on the work, though. I still think it's nice stuff; not breaking any new ground or anything like that, but it's pretty good looking.

So my big question really is, how much of this debate is on the custom, and how much of it's on the customizer?

2. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    ...and this is one of the things that happens any time his name pops up anywhere.
    Hell, if were him, I'd have to be pretty damned pleased with myself. Making tons of money on some repainted movie figs, and one of the most popular names in customizing, no such thin as bad press, and all that.
    To be honest, I've always had some beef with "career" customizing. I used to sell a lot of my stuff, but usually it was just when I grew tired of it, or made something different, etc.
    A lot of folks, Jin included, customize for the sole purpose of turning a profit.
    Anything wrong with that? No, not really. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "work of art" or "one of a kind," since he'll no doubt do more if these sell well, but that's really about it.
    Doesn't really effect my opinion on the work, though. I still think it's nice stuff; not breaking any new ground or anything like that, but it's pretty good looking.

So my big question really is, how much of this debate is on the custom, and how much of it's on the customizer?

3. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I meant 'poor' in the sense that it must suck that he's getting harried everywhere he goes. Now he's going to get trashed in places he doesn't even go to? This is excessive, and more than a bit creepy and shameful on the part of everyone doing it.
    I mean really, he doesn't even come in here; somebody posted his customs because they're cool, and some weirdo pops up to cry doom over it. Do you really think he's going to appear like some dark curse to "run rampant" through these boards, imposing a fascist agenda? 'Cause I think he might just be a guy who paints up toys and sells them on ebay. Maybe we could just agree not to bring him up again?

4. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I meant 'poor' in the sense that it must suck that he's getting harried everywhere he goes. Now he's going to get trashed in places he doesn't even go to? This is excessive, and more than a bit creepy and shameful on the part of everyone doing it.
    I mean really, he doesn't even come in here; somebody posted his customs because they're cool, and some weirdo pops up to cry doom over it. Do you really think he's going to appear like some dark curse to "run rampant" through these boards, imposing a fascist agenda? 'Cause I think he might just be a guy who paints up toys and sells them on ebay. Maybe we could just agree not to bring him up again?

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Seems that some of these figures went over $800.00 Say what you want, but I know the buyer who bought almost all of these has bought a custom figure from me and paid right away so I have serious doubts these auctions were rigged as suggested before.

6. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Seems that some of these figures went over $800.00 Say what you want, but I know the buyer who bought almost all of these has bought a custom figure from me and paid right away so I have serious doubts these auctions were rigged as suggested before.

7. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Hey TFWorld! I kept getting Emails about this site but was so busy I didn't have a chance to drop in. People said I was getting some feedback on my work here and that I should read up on what was being said about me.

Answers!

Starscream's hands are made from a Spiderman 2 movie Doc Ock (the bendy tentacle or attack action, they both have the same claws). I cut off the gunpod barrels about a 1/2" and drilled a hole in the center, then inserting a rod (part of Gandalf's staff) into the back of the claws so they can spin, yet be removed when needed. I didn't have any long robot fingers to make real-looking hands, so went with what it might of looked like if those claw-missiles opened up instead.

With regards to the Fwoosh and me, that place was making me insane with all the grief and day-to-day troubles. I was an ass back then because I had to defend myself at every turn, I was very bitter. Since leaving I have WAY mellowed out and don't go around thinking I'm all that. Seriously, ANYONE can do what I do with just some practice. And I'll help them obtain that level by answering questions, posting guides, and sharing tips.

My EBay auctions start at $1, even if the piece is something like the Leader Class Megatron and Prime I'm working on. Whatever my stuff sells for, it sells for, my reputation on EBay won't be comprimised because I think something can sell better later.

Check the buyer for Bonecrusher and Scorp. He's no longer and EBay member. I waited ten days and change for a payment, sent emails, and would of sent him the figures if he had paid. Check the dates, the auctions ended BEFORE the movie opened, on July 1st http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESO:IT&viewitem=&item=330138736935&rd=1&rd=1
    The hype of the TF movie fuled the auctions, I have no other EBay accounts and absolutely despise shill-bidding! If you look through my past auctions under the bidding history, you'll find that I activly cancel bids from 0 feedback bidders and people with high negative feedback. I email people that have stuff like just shirts and shoes in their past winning history and no figures/collectibles. If they can't give me a good excuse why they're bidding a hundred bucks, off they go. I hate the hassle of opening disputes for non-payment and having my real bidders think, "Gee, is something going to mess with the auction again, or will I have a chance?" My reputation for holding honest auctions is known by my repeat customers and that's what I strive for.

I couldn't believe that the customs ended for that much! Never in my wildest DREAMS! And the winners paid that night right away, it wasn't a joke or scam. My girlfriend didn't think they'd go over $400, hell I would of been happy if they stayed right where they did. What's this mean? It means the movie was popular and people really want figures that have that hand-painted look. I know some of you didn't like my choice of colors on Starscream or the blackpanels on Bee, but somebody did and they're willing to pay for that. It's all a matter of personal taste. I experiment with my paint jobs and you'll see duplicate figures from me different each time. I'm doing a Wreckage this week with the dark green/black look, from the prototype 'Stryker' Artwork shown at bot-con. My next Bumblebee will have a battle mask, etc. I try to change stuff up. Another Starscream I'll do (if I can find him, heh) will be a more sand-tan and more metallics.

Moon, Lowe, I don't know what I did to you two personally unless you're from the Fwoosh and I offended you like I did others there. But know that I'm not out to get you and if you ever need anything, drop me an email. That goes for everyone! You need advice, trying to figure out how something works, need some tips on painting, I'm all ears. That's how I give back to the community, I try to inspire, help, and teach. So hello everyone and I hope I've cleared some things up!

8. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Hey TFWorld! I kept getting Emails about this site but was so busy I didn't have a chance to drop in. People said I was getting some feedback on my work here and that I should read up on what was being said about me.

Answers!

Starscream's hands are made from a Spiderman 2 movie Doc Ock (the bendy tentacle or attack action, they both have the same claws). I cut off the gunpod barrels about a 1/2" and drilled a hole in the center, then inserting a rod (part of Gandalf's staff) into the back of the claws so they can spin, yet be removed when needed. I didn't have any long robot fingers to make real-looking hands, so went with what it might of looked like if those claw-missiles opened up instead.

With regards to the Fwoosh and me, that place was making me insane with all the grief and day-to-day troubles. I was an ass back then because I had to defend myself at every turn, I was very bitter. Since leaving I have WAY mellowed out and don't go around thinking I'm all that. Seriously, ANYONE can do what I do with just some practice. And I'll help them obtain that level by answering questions, posting guides, and sharing tips.

My EBay auctions start at $1, even if the piece is something like the Leader Class Megatron and Prime I'm working on. Whatever my stuff sells for, it sells for, my reputation on EBay won't be comprimised because I think something can sell better later.

Check the buyer for Bonecrusher and Scorp. He's no longer and EBay member. I waited ten days and change for a payment, sent emails, and would of sent him the figures if he had paid. Check the dates, the auctions ended BEFORE the movie opened, on July 1st http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESO:IT&viewitem=&item=330138736935&rd=1&rd=1
    The hype of the TF movie fuled the auctions, I have no other EBay accounts and absolutely despise shill-bidding! If you look through my past auctions under the bidding history, you'll find that I activly cancel bids from 0 feedback bidders and people with high negative feedback. I email people that have stuff like just shirts and shoes in their past winning history and no figures/collectibles. If they can't give me a good excuse why they're bidding a hundred bucks, off they go. I hate the hassle of opening disputes for non-payment and having my real bidders think, "Gee, is something going to mess with the auction again, or will I have a chance?" My reputation for holding honest auctions is known by my repeat customers and that's what I strive for.

I couldn't believe that the customs ended for that much! Never in my wildest DREAMS! And the winners paid that night right away, it wasn't a joke or scam. My girlfriend didn't think they'd go over $400, hell I would of been happy if they stayed right where they did. What's this mean? It means the movie was popular and people really want figures that have that hand-painted look. I know some of you didn't like my choice of colors on Starscream or the blackpanels on Bee, but somebody did and they're willing to pay for that. It's all a matter of personal taste. I experiment with my paint jobs and you'll see duplicate figures from me different each time. I'm doing a Wreckage this week with the dark green/black look, from the prototype 'Stryker' Artwork shown at bot-con. My next Bumblebee will have a battle mask, etc. I try to change stuff up. Another Starscream I'll do (if I can find him, heh) will be a more sand-tan and more metallics.

Moon, Lowe, I don't know what I did to you two personally unless you're from the Fwoosh and I offended you like I did others there. But know that I'm not out to get you and if you ever need anything, drop me an email. That goes for everyone! You need advice, trying to figure out how something works, need some tips on painting, I'm all ears. That's how I give back to the community, I try to inspire, help, and teach. So hello everyone and I hope I've cleared some things up!

9. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    hey Jin, welcome aboard! its always nice to have talented bot artists from other places sign up here. stick around, this is a chill place

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    hey Jin, welcome aboard! its always nice to have talented bot artists from other places sign up here. stick around, this is a chill place

13. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Thanks! I love seeing what other people are up to, the amount of customizing out there amazes me now.

14. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Thanks! I love seeing what other people are up to, the amount of customizing out there amazes me now.

15. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol nothing takes the wind out of 13 pages of not liking something than having the person who made it be super nice

16. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol nothing takes the wind out of 13 pages of not liking something than having the person who made it be super nice

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome Jin, kudos for coming on and speaking your side of things. :D 

And big :lol  to giving Ratchet a working (sharp) sawblade!

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome Jin, kudos for coming on and speaking your side of things. :D 

And big :lol  to giving Ratchet a working (sharp) sawblade!

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Nice customs Jin. Very detailed and congrats on the Price.

To me, when it comes to selling customs on ebay (unless a reserve is set) the price that the auction ends for is the price that the custom should be sold for.

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Nice customs Jin. Very detailed and congrats on the Price.

To me, when it comes to selling customs on ebay (unless a reserve is set) the price that the auction ends for is the price that the custom should be sold for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.