Custom Legacy Clocker(Cybertron 2005) from scratch

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Zacyboi02, Aug 16, 2023.

1. Zacyboi02

Zacyboi02 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Starting a project that will probably take me a while. I'm not 100% sure if this is the kind of place to have an in progress project like this, but oh well. In short I want to make a Custom update to Clocker from TF Cybertron as he hasnt had a new toy in ages, I want to do a full redesign while still sticking to his original, mixing parts of a G1-ified design and a straight up new figure, like combining Legacy Animated Prowl and Legacy Override. I'll be keeping this thread updated on my progress and feedback or anything is more than welcome

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Dreedlebug

Dreedlebug THE AQUARIUM! WE FORGOT THE AQUARIUM!

YouTube (Custom URL):
    I wish you luck on your project! I will say this: you should make sure the personality in the face is kept intact; this is usually where HasTak messes up. I believe in you!

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Hot sauce addict

Interesting concept. I'm excited to see how this unfolds!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    Thanks! yeah I have a blender model of his head I made the other month which is based directly on the toy's sculpt, but I do want to change the face a little so it closer matches the animation model[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  5. kalun318prime

kalun318prime Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Great to see it is getting an update! Gonna chip in and say that Combiner Wars Deadend/Prowl/Breakdown/Wheeljack mold will be a good basis, based on how things are located in robot mode.

6. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    thanks!, ill be sure to have a look at them for references, at the moment ive been having a look at a bunch of different figures i have to see how they tackle parts of the transformation that would work for Clocker, I didnt even consider CW for reference as i missed out on that toyline

7. VKittyCat2023

VKittyCat2023 Medieval Weapons Enthusiest

You can consider me interested.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    Just thought I'd give an update to anyone curious as to my progress with this project, my weekend was a little busy so I didnt get much time to do any actual work, but I did have time to think over the ideas I had for how I was going to update the legs, my initial idea was to use similar engineering to how Earthrise Trailbreaker's legs work, basically his shin is hollow on the back so you can fold them backwards into themselves and he also has heels for stability, so it seemed like the perfect option, but after going over it i realised that if i was to use ER Trailbreaker's legs as direct inspiration for the update I would have to come up with a different idea so I could add heels to Clocker. I'm considering having the heel a fold out piece similar to Legacy Wildrider and SS86 Hotrod's feet, currently I cant really think of any other options, but I'm sure either I'll think of something or someone here has an idea

• Like Like x 2
  9. cl0ckwerk

cl0ckwerk Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is cool.
    Could you recess the circled parts and have a "wing that fold over to stabilize the heels? I looked for a figure that has it like that but couldn't find one. I'm picturing like Wheeljacks wings if that makes sense

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    [​IMG] I could try concepting something like that out to see it it could work. Ill more than likely be concepting a few different aternative feet designs, the main one i was thinking of was having a thing similar to SS Jazz's feet where his heel folds up for car mode

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    [​IMG] Ok, so this is the first concept change, mainly inspired by ER Trailbreaker's legs with a fold out heel inspired by Cl0ckwerk's idea. I'll try a 3d block out version to see if it can work in 3d, so far it seems like this will work fine, but i do want to try other ideas/variations

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    ok so I did a quick blockout to see if the idea from yesterday works in 3d, it does and any ankle tilt wouldnt be hindered, the only thing i can see as a potential issue is the fact that the heel might not keep the figure stable in some poses, but at the moment i cant really think of another option, ill try concepting a few more ideas to see if they work better or not

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    so mini change of plans, I was going to make other ideas for the legs, but because i'm fairly dead set on the current design i'll be writing some pros and cons and making adjustments accordingly and trying to get this to work properly

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    Update

I need to keep in mind that this is a transformer and not just an action figure, so far ive mostly been ignoring the alt mode, but going forwards now that i have a basic blockout i can see the proportions in car mode and adjust them and see how that affects the robot mode

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  15. NectarMechanics

NectarMechanics mashed potatoes can be your friends!

News Credits:
    This is looking wicked! Hope you don’t mind me asking, but are you using Blender?
    If so are you using the Cad Transforms add-on? Because if not it will help out a ton.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    I am using Blender yes, thanks for the the add-on suggestion, had a look at a video, I was definetly wondering how i would do precise measurements in blender, Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  17. NectarMechanics

News Credits:
    No worries! I’ve been using blender for years now, and only recently found the add on, thought I’d spare you a few months of head scratching if I could!
    If you want the super in depth look at it, Makertales has a YouTube series all about it.
    Otherwise, I wish you luck on your project, and can’t wait for the next update!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    hey, i downloaded the add-on and am watching the maker tales vids on how to use it, but i cant get the add-on to show up in the side bar, the add-on is on and everything looks fine, its just not showing on the side, do you know how to fix that?

• Like Like x 1
  19. NectarMechanics

News Credits:
    I’m not sure I fully understand, if it’s all installed and working you should see it in your tool bar on the right hand side. If it’s hidden try pressing T on your keyboard, also N brings stuff up on the other side like measurements.
    If your still struggling feel free to post some screenshots and I’ll see if I can help!

20. Zacyboi02

Instagram:
    like its not showing up here like in all the videos on the add-on cause i want to ender sketch mode or whatever its called and i dont know if theres a hot key that i missed that takes me there

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1