Heavy/Scratch: Custom Kre-O Battle Changer Showcases

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Laserhead4, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Which figure do you want to kick off Wave 5?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2020.
  1. Wreck-Gar

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Lugnut

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. Dinobot

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Gnashteeth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Laserhead4

Laserhead4 Master Builder and Filmmaker

YouTube (Legacy):
    I think a TV show would be the way to go right now...

Hint hint...

2. Agent 53

Agent 53 Well-Known Member

Does it have to be one or the other...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and today I thought we ought to get our Covenant of Unicron out and PRAISE OUR DECEPTIGOD for the opening showcase of WAVE 5.
    If you do not like this review (and you wouldn’t because you voted for it), then in the name of Megatron I will CRUSH YOU LIKE THE FLESHY BLISTERS YOU ALL ARE! SO SAYS THE WORD OF OUR DIVINE PROPHET, THE CUSTOM KRE-O BATTLE CHANGER LUGNUT!
    DSC_0719.JPG
    HOO BOY have I been wanting this GLORIOUS figure for a while. And though it took a while to get a hold of him, the build process was overall satisfying once I had the design down!

Now for newcomers who didn't vote, I can understand if you are unfamiliar with the character of Lugnut, especially considering his most recent appearance had his name, alt-mode, and gender completely and understandably changed to fit a new personality unfitting of the character; so you might know him or her as Clobber. But LUGNUT is a Transformer introduced in Transformers Animated, and was characterized to be a complete Decepticon zealot, with a fanatical devotion to everyone's favorite Buckethead. TFWiki accurately describes him like this: "If Megatron were to command Lugnut to jump, he'd be up high in the stratosphere before his master could even specify how high." He's a brute, he's terrifying, and his presence was never not felt throughout the show, thanks to an energetic and intimidating voice by the great David Kaye.

So, let's divebomb into the showcase! It goes without the head and torso are great; a direct transplant from the 2015 version of the Micro-Changer, which was so perfect that it had to get the Battle Changer upgrade. Though I will admit that the kibble I used was less than satisfactory. It's not giving this guy the amount of bulk around his arms, and the fact that he has no hands due to the transformation requirements adds to the fact that he's actually rather...bare. Skinny. Not at all what we'd expect from the big lug. And while this kind of style of mine is not uncommon (i.e. BC Blackout), I do feel bad about it not doing the character enough justice.
    DSC_0720.JPG
    But at least he has a big back. One fitting of a big behemoth like himself. You'll also see hints of green here and there to make it a bit more like Animated, but without detracting the new color palette.
    DSC_0721.JPG
    And the back reveals more jet detail, like the landing gear and wings. But it is a bit problematic, and we'll get to why later.
    He has a lot of dynamic range in his joints, and that can be found in the number of pictures I took of this guy. I had a lot of fun posing him and getting him into positions that screamed Lugnut. Here's one that I made for myself...
    DSC_0722.JPG
    ...where Lugnut's obsession with living up to Megatron's standards...made him tear poor Brawn into two pieces.
    Yeah I don't see the logic either. Besides, isn't Brawn invincible? I thought his Achilles spot was on his shoulder, not his waist. Maybe this is just one of Lugnut's fantasies of murder and destruction, 'cause everyone knows you can't kill Brawn.

After a lot of thought, I decided to give Lugnut some weapons to resemble his famous claw-servos, just to have some people off my...off my...
    DSC_0723.JPG
    ...back

I...And...uh...I...don't know why I didn't give these to him earlier. Something about it looking bad in the vehicle mode? Well...it's not that big a deal...

And he does look a lot more intimidating with them!
    DSC_0724.JPG
    That's a LOT more intimidating! Holy crap!
    DSC_0725.JPG
    Why didn't I use these earlier?! They work perfectly! They ARE perfect!

Yeah, that's it! I'm using this now! It gives Lugnut godlike powers of accuracy, so it's staying!
    DSC_0727.JPG
    All hail the Messala--I mean, Messiah.

But let's stop sucking off the savior here okay? It's Clobbering Time.

G-Get it? 'Cause Clobber? That's her name from Cybervers--I'll shut up now. Anyway, the back is a bit of a floppy mess.
    DSC_0729.JPG
    As you can see above, Lugnut is a complete flat-boy on the back when his backpack is lifted. That may sound like a good thing #BackLivesMatter, but...no. What this means is that anytime you move this guy, you gotta be real delicate with the back or else it'll shift out of place at multiple points. The back, simply put, is not solid. And considering how joints and hinges can get loose over time, it's only a matter of time before it just starts flopping if you so much as breath on him.
    DSC_0728.JPG
    I should know. This photo came from me sneezing. And now, his backpack is stuck over his forehead.

Anyway, time for a GLORIOUS size comparison.
    Here he is against his best buddy, Battle Changer Blitzwing:
    DSC_0730.JPG
    (Upon seeing these two, I do wish I used more green for Lugnut to fit the character contrast with Blitzwing, as seen in Animated. But it's alright.)
    A fellow Transformers Animated alumna, Micro-Changer Slipstream:
    DSC_0731.JPG
    Battle Changer S...Experiment 06:
    DSC_0732.JPG
    And lastly, the Kre-O Battle Changer Windblade:
    DSC_0733.JPG
    SO cannot wait to showcase Windblade!

And with that out of the way, let's get into the BOMBER MODE!
    DSC_0735.JPG
    It's...okay. I'd even say...it's a work in progress? Anyhow, I do like how I was able to capture the bulky nature of Lugnut's traditional alt-mode.
    DSC_0736.JPG
    But the transformation, while simple and non-complex, does make for a lot of error. On this side, the nozzle of the plane mode is too far down, when it should be much straighter.
    There's also minor partsforming around the wings, specifically those 1x3 parts that you see filling the backside. I had to partsform those in a certain way in order to fill in the middle section more, as the wings were SO far back that it was looking really empty.
    DSC_0737.JPG
    But I love detailing I gave to a very simple backside. The studs kinda look like bombs waiting to be deployed.
    DSC_0739.JPG
    And of course it looks great for aerial poses.

And...now I remember why I didn't initially include the claw hands. As you might now, the claw hands formed the turbines under the wings. Because the turbines were already being filled in by those parts on the side (that you see folded upwards), the hands were now forming the side of the plane, and I didn't want to make it look awkward. If this vehicle mode ever appears again in future showcases, it'll probably be with the arms off and partsformed in another area of the plane.

And that wraps up today's showcase! Hope you all loved it, and I hope you guys like the coming characters as well! I know it's a bit hectic right now due to a global pandemic, meaning my work may be coming in slower amounts in the future, but more importantly I hope you are all exercising the right hygiene.

LUGNUT commands it, so you will FOLLOW FOR YOUR SURVIVAL.

Here's a little teaser of the next character to come after Wreck-Gar...or at least until I can print my custom reprolabels:
    DSC_0741.JPG
    "We need to discuss compensation. You get destruction, but whaddo I get?"
    "The HONOR in serving MEGATRON should be REWARD ENOUGH!"
    "Megatron? Why didn't you say so? That ol' warmonger's my number one customer!"

See you all next time, and stay safe out there.
    DSC_0734.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  4. loof

loof hungry AND thirsty for plastic

GLORIOUS!

Wait, what about the Magnus shoulder-rockets comparison?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't have the parts for them yet. There're a specific part I needed in two, and I ended up using my last two for a Battle Changer of Shadow Striker.

It's a prototype.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and today, we dare to be stupid and take a look at this piece of crap: the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Wreck-Gar.
    IMG_0226.JPG
    Luke Skywalker: "What a piece of JUNK!"
    Thank you, Luke. I’d say this accurately describes this mess, though in an important way. Wreck-Gar, being a Junkion, was meant to have a kitbashed look, of course with a custom head to boot. But due to his lankey joints, he's just such a pain to pose.
    IMG_0229.JPG
    But if you pull enough hairs out of your scalp, you can do it. Hell, he actually passes the knee test. IMG_0232.JPG
    I should also mention the figure is not explicitly based on any currently existing version of the character. He turns into a motorcycle, but he doesn't have the asymmetry (i.e. the bike wheel on the shoulder) of G1. His backpack is modeled after Animated though, as well as being a retool of Oil Slick's kibble.

But between the two, I'd say I know who has the better bike mode:
    IMG_0238.JPG
    I kinda have a preference towards Wreck-Gar's. Yes, it's gap-y as hell, and certainly not better than Oil Slick's bike, but that's all fitting of the scrap-bot himself. He's supposed to look (at least to me) like he could fall apart at any second. Plus, he has better wheels too, IMO.
    IMG_0239.JPG
    That wraps up this mini-showcase...I'll add in the size comparison later on if I can.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey everyone!

You guys are probably wondering where the next update is.

Well, the short answer is that I don't have one. Not to worry, I'm fine, everything's fine, nothing has happened...not to me anyway.

I've been working on a special project using my Kre-O Battle Changers figures, and it's been taking a lot of time. I won't waste time teasing what it is, but it's related to Activision's recent decision to close the multiplayer servers for their Transformers games, including the entire War For Cybertron Trilogy. This is relative to how a great number of Transformers channels on YouTube are being affected by this, as 2020 was worse enough as it was, namely JOHNNYFLASH.

So, until my special project finishes regarding JOHNNYFLASH's channel (no, I haven't made a deal with him, it's something I'm doing of my own volition), I want you all to send him your support if you haven't had the chance; send him some love and make his community stronger, as he has engaged in trying to find other means of bringing his skits to life without the use of Machinima. If you want to take another step further, reach out to MMD or SFM channels and see if they're willing to help.

For now, I'll be doing my best to work on this project, and hopefully it's something that Johnny and the rest of you can enjoy.

See you all next time!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    After a month of hard work, I'm happy and excited to present to you all my completed Stop Motion Project featuring the Battle Changers:

I hope you all enjoy it.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Plus, in collaboration with @MoonTrufflesArt, I took the liberty of making this other stop-motion:

@Thatsjustkreo67 @LeonSteamhawk Hope you all like the sketch!

Next week, I promise to return to some showcases. And this time, I've got Swindle ready, so that's gonna be fun.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and I'm happy to report that I only have a few figures left to finish before the end. But this one comes too late for my comfort.

As I'm sure a lot of you are aware, famed actor and comedian Fred Willard passed away not too long ago. And many of us amongst the Transformers community mourned this loss. He had voiced a certain rendition of a G1 character that proved to be far more popular than the original.

The version that I grew up with.

So I'm hoped I would do that version justice with the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Swindle.
    DSC_1038.JPG
    And I'm ashamed of what I've delivered.

Someone like this character, whose voice actor has passed away, deserved so much more than a redeco of Battle Changer of Ironhide. I can't apologize enough for that. But for what we have, I'm hoping I do the character justice as it is.

For those unfamiliar with this character, allow me. Swindle, as he's seen throughout most of his different appearances, is a two-timing con-artist with a flair for entrepreneurial endeavors. He's devious, resourceful, and would sell his own motherboard to the highest bidder. He's even been caught on occasions being enticed to take the opposing side's deal. The version you see before you is based on in particular the Transformers: Animated incarnation of the character. I made a lot of bad choices here, but like a good salesman I gotta spin it and make it shine.

So, let's begin!
    DSC_1040.JPG
    The head and helmet were originally something I was apprehensive of, but they've since grown on me. As seen above, Swindle uses an Inferno helmet with a Bumblebee face, with the eyes appropriately colored purple. My logic was that since Rumble (the red one) and Frenzy (the blue one) had the same inferno helmets as stand-ins for their usual G1 helmets, those of which already bore a resemblance to Swindle's own G1 helmet. Thus, this helmet is a way of staying consistent. As for the head, I'm more happy with how that turned out. I think I can speak for everyone (namely @x01618) when I say that the Micro-Changer Swindle had a disappointing face. So with this new face, he's looking far more devious.

And of course, the torso decals are of my own design, having tinkered around with Ironhide's chest tampograph and making it resemble something cooler. I aimed for a combination of his Animated and G1 fronts, as well as a bit of inspiration from his Scramble City toy. Though that last one isn't quite visible. You see, below is the original decal that I created, and you can see a bunch of blue and red panel lights surrounding a Decepticon symbol in reference to the weird panel bits that you could find on Onslaught and the others.
    Decal1.png
    The problem arose, however, when actually printing the decal. As you can expect, the Decepticon insignia was barely visible. So I had to make a tough call and decide to use the above Decepticon sticker from Blitzwing for a better symbol. I hope there's enough detail to make up for that.

Now, onto the side!
    DSC_1042.JPG
    As you can see, I made a few minor modifications to Ironhide's original legs, one of which was a longer grill-heel strut. Unfortunately, that ended up causing a few balancing issues, necessitating those white pieces to help stand the figure up. But even now, it's not perfect.

I'll get to the stickers later, but I like the gold painting on the tires. And the fact that it's faded creates a neat weathering effect. I like it a lot.
    DSC_1043.JPG
    The back, in all its kibble-ness, is of course a retool of Ironhide's outfitted for Swindle. I thought Swindle, being a businessman, would store all his cool stuff to sell in here. I mean, I know Animated Swindle had a transwarp frequency to his own pocket dimension, but as cool as that was, it was stored in his chest. I don't think I'd be able to engineer that into a Kre-O figure.

And of course, no talk about Swindle is complete without mention of his iconic Scatter Blaster! He picked this baby up on Regulon IV, custom-made and forged by the planet's galaxy-reknowned Metalmongers. Nice folks, the Metalmongers...and...the nozzle doesn't look like how it's supposed to from G1. Sorry 'bout that guys.

It's connected to a hinge-joint on the shoulders, thus allowing for more limited but still cool poses! It can even follow the arm for some side-to-side action! And that can go along with other great poses!
    DSC_1045.JPG
    DSC_1047.JPG
    Just don't do those in front of your friends, though. They might not want to combine with you afterwards.

Also, yes, I'm working on how I can combine them. For now, I'm just relishing the fact that the gang's all here!

Anyway, I pointed out earlier the presence of some very lucrative and attention-grabbing stickers. Let's take a closer look.
    DSC_1050.JPG DSC_1051.JPG
    The stickers you see are visual representations of Swindle's personality. The former is references a Shannix, the Cybertronian Currency, with the latter of course being a Dollar sign, which is also coincidentally an S, which can stand for...y'know. Just fun ways of expressing the character in a visual manner, and it emphasizes his being an entrepreneur in it for the money.

Now, the moment you ALL have been waiting for is about to get so much better! I've been away for a long time, between making stop motions, working on new Battle Changers, and finishing High School, I've got a batch of new figures that I'd like to show off to keep y'all updated!

So let's begin with a Work In Progress Battle Changer Predaking!
    DSC_1052.JPG
    The dazzling Battle Changer Strika!
    DSC_1054.JPG
    Now for one that you REALLY haven't seen before!
    BATTLE. CHANGER. OCTANE!
    DSC_1055.JPG
    And that's not all, we have the bot with the most illustrious finish on Cyberton! Battle Changer Knockout!
    DSC_1053.JPG
    Bidding starts at 1000 Shannix!

But anyhow, considering Swindle ruined the size comparison, just know that he's obviously as tall as Ironhide.

But WAIT! There's more.
    DSC_1056.JPG
    As you can probably guess, the armored car alt-mode is a dead ringer for Swindle's armored car mode from TFA, and is also one of those things I'm ashamed of coming to this figure. You see, I had originally wanted for Swindle to have his own original design, but I realized that such a thing would necessitate a Jeep-alternate mode not dissimilar to G1. As cool as that might have been, I didn't want that. I wanted something closer to Animated's incarnation, so I went with that.
    DSC_1057.JPG
    And that had its sacrifices, of course. Like how I managed the grill, which is screaming "I need a 2.0". But either way, let's get back to the side.

DSC_1058.JPG
    The Scatter Blaster is attached to a 2x2 Jumper plate, allowing it to rotate 360...which I didn't shoot because I'm an idiot I forgot to take the photo, but take my word for it! It's still a great deal!
    DSC_1059.JPG
    I can't say the same about the back of the vehicle though. It's really blank. I'll work on more decals for the future.

Aaaand that's about it. Swindle was a character I was really into back when Animated was still going around. I hadn't caught his second episode, so I remember being sad that he only appeared one time to me. My condolences to the family of Fred Willard, because he voiced a legend in the franchise's cartoon history. One that will be really REALLY hard to top. When I was deciding which Combaticons would get to become Battle Changers, I recall thinking that I wouldn't need a Bruticus form, and that I could just take the best three. Swindle was among those best three, which just proves to me how impactful his appearance in Animated, however limited, really was. Swindle proved to transcend the position of the left leg. Alone, he's worth all five limbs. He's the kind of bot that's bound to fetch a great price. He's worth every penny too.

Thanks for coming out today, everyone. This was actually supposed to come out yesterday, but I encountered a...computer problem that forced it into restart...and I had forgot to save my work...meaning I had to rewrite the whole showcase from scratch. So sorry for keeping all of you waiting, but I'm BACK!

But looking back in time to the beginning of Wave 5, I didn't not expect so many votes against a certain contender in that poll. I knew Lugnut and Animated were popular, but I also didn't expect so few votes for Gnashteeth.

You guys...you are aware of who I was talking about, right?
    DSC_1060.JPG
    YYYeeeessss....

See you all next time!
    DSC_1049.JPG
    In memory of Fred Willard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Alright! With the Swindle review FINALLY done, who's ready to dive into the BEAST WARS once more?!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey everyone, it's me calling from college! How's everyone doing?

Gosh, it's been an ache to not be able to work with my figures or do more showcases. I promise, the time will come once more, but that's not for another month, unfortunately.

So don't lose hope on me yet!

It's great to talk to you guys once again.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    In the coming weeks, we're going to close off Wave 5 with a change in schedule. Gnashteeth will unfortunately be moved to Wave 6, but fret not!

We're gonna take a look at a prototype for the character of Star Saber!

See you all then, and apologies for the absence, I have been a little swamped with other responsibilities.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Primefire

Primefire Well-Known Member

Can I show something on the thread it is not kre-o though

15. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    I would prefer if you made your own thread for it, friend.

16. Primefire

A
    ok I just wanted to show the lego blaster I made

17. Primefire

You see

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  18. WhereBattleChangers

WhereBattleChangers Well-Known Member

Has anybody noticed how Battlechangers Ironhide’s alt mode looks like his Combiner wars version?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Primefire

(dummy impression) uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    (actual words) No I did not kudos to you for seeing that though

• Like Like x 1
  20. Primefire

Lazer we NEED a new bot pleeeeeeease?!

• Like Like x 1