Heavy/Scratch: Custom Kre-O Battle Changer Showcases

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Laserhead4, Aug 11, 2018.

1. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 2 Steps Forward, 8 Steps Back

News Credits:
    Functionist Universe, Cybertron, Lower Tetrahex
    YouTube:
    You could totally do Springer from their instructions for drift!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Laserhead4

Laserhead4 Master Builder and Filmmaker

YouTube:
    I could...if I could get my hands on another Hound. He's sold out on Amazon, and there's only one of him left on eBay and it goes for a ridiculous price.

3. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 2 Steps Forward, 8 Steps Back

News Credits:
    Functionist Universe, Cybertron, Lower Tetrahex
    YouTube:
    Well I did find a place where I can buy a bunch, Id be happy to send you some But can’t I can’t at the moment, Sorry! :( 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Laserhead4

YouTube:
    That's alright!

5. Laserhead4

YouTube:
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and today we look at an old friend. Long ago, I had originally bought a Ratchet v. Soundwave 2-pack, and had deconstructed Soundwave to make a battle changer of my own, meant to resemble Arcee from the Prime Cartoon. It was my first time doing so, and it was...rough, as I had kept on experimenting on it to make a better and more stable transformation. The end result was a weird motor cycle thing that didn't even look that much like a motorcycle, and it looked more like a cybertronian vehicle mode than anything. That BC was my first true custom, and she went from being Arcee to another well-known fembot. And then, I lost her...and I never found her.

But then…an amazing thing happened.

I rebuilt the figure. This time with accurate colors.

It's like a dream come true.

So allow me with pride to present to you the remake of my first BC EVER, the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Elita-One!
    DSC_0486.JPG
    (comes with two alternate chest pieces and a poorly made gun)
    I'm so happy I was able to get enough money to rebuild this thing, and that there were enough pink, red, and white left around for me to do this.

This thing was exhilarating to build. It felt like I had found a piece to a puzzle that I couldn't complete. This really helped tie a lot of my collection together.

DSC_0487.JPG
    So let's get started. I feel that there's a bit too much red and pink applied to her front, but that doesn't detract from the great design of the figure. I love the head, I love the helmet just as much. Special thanks to Tresob, aka Retro Rocket Hip on Shapeways for providing me with the helmet. Any other helmet would have just not fit. As for the head, that obviously comes from the SDCC 2014 exclusive Arcee Kreon. I saw many others do it to their custom Elita kreons, so I opted to do the same. It just fits the character so well, and with reference to how she looked in the G1 cartoon, it's actually pretty accurate to her character model too!

Though I should mention that all those other smarter people managed to take the nose out, which I wasn't able to because...well, I'm dumb.

I'll talk about the breastplate later on, but my initial thoughts are that it's SUPER good! It's not one-to-one with G1, but that was never my intention, and I think I was able to do justice to my own concept of Elita.

As for her shoulder pylons, they deserve an image of their own.
    DSC_0488.JPG
    Now, this is one of the areas of the figure where I got to experiment the most, AKA I changed it up from the original a bit. Originally, all there was was a simple slanted tile that was just there. While it's still that same slanted tile, I used a different (longer) one and added some detales to it. I like the color balance of red and white, and with the tiny stud of pink there just to be consistent with the rest of the design.

I also like how I interpreted Elita's...uh...spikes. In the same place as Optimus's smokestacks are these single spikes on Elita's shoulders. I recreated that to the best of my ability using silver null-rays.

I guess we can talk about the other side-bits too. I'm sure those heel-struts are gonna raise some eyebrows. Truth is, I like them that way, and that's my faithfulness to the original design. It's also necessary for the transformation as they form the front of the car. One should also remember that before the design belonged to Elita-One, it belonged to Arcee, so I modeled the heels off of her. In retrospect, that may not have been the right move if I decided it was to be another character, but I still feel this is a good look for the character. It gives her a great sense of presence amongst the other bots. Feel free to disagree with me if you must.
    DSC_0489.JPG
    I'm less forgiving to the back, however. There had to be another way to hide the wheels, though they do hide the vehicle kibble, which was virtually non-existent on Elita's cartoon model.

Also, I'm not happy by the random bits of purple on the figure. It doesn't fit her at all. I do have a red one of each of the pieces I'm referring to, but that's...already in use. I am more happy with the bits of black. Really grounds the figure in my opinion and makes her feel more lively. I didn't want it all to be bright and colorful. It's just that purple doesn't fit while black does.

I was worried that by blindly but faithfully recreating the figure, that it would become a glorified brick with no poseability. But to my surprise, it does!
    DSC_0490.JPG
    It was completely poseable.

But it was the journey there that was the issue.

The figure feels really stiff for me, and not as sturdy as I wanted it to be. Because of that, it was a chore to pose. Especially since, in fact, the heel-struts aren't completely flush and are already flimsy on their own. Oof.
    DSC_0491.JPG
    It is the simple poses that count for me, though. The above pose is completely mine, Elita never did that anywhere.

Another thing to admire about the figure is how different it looks from her base source: Soundwave. There are so many differences now that you can't tell where I got what from.
    DSC_0493.JPG
    With that out of the way...

Let's talk about the breastplate.
    DSC_0499.JPG
    I designed three separate breastplates for Elita after I grew unconfident with the first. I looked back at the original design as little as I could because I was an idiot. By the time I realized that the original was lacking pink, it was too late.
    DSC_0500.JPG
    Compared to the normal one, this original piece does have a lot of good to it, such as the larger white space that could lead further to her white-colored head. But it's the bottom that screws it up.

So I moved on...
    DSC_0501.JPG
    ...and made this monstrosity.
    Yeesh, it looks like a naked Evangelion. Yuck.

So with that, I found a compromise, one that harkened back to the original very well. While I wish I could have made the white space a bit larger, the normal plate is still the best for me.
    DSC_0502.JPG
    (In case you couldn't tell, she's giving her approval to this breastplate like a chef)
    Anyway, let's get to the SIZE COMPARISON!
    Here she is with BC Soundwave:
    DSC_0494.JPG
    Her 4-million-year-old war rival, BC Shockwave:
    DSC_0495.JPG
    The now COMPLETED BC Swindle (showcase coming soon):
    DSC_0498.JPG
    And finally Battle Changer Optimus Prime:
    DSC_0497.JPG
    Okay, before we continue, I've got something to say about the OTP of Transformers. I'm not a fan of the way their relationship is being handled in modern Transformers media, and that's mainly because Elita-One's role in recent media has made her an anti-hero or straight up VILLAIN to the Autobots, which again, I'm not a fan of. I know, that makes me sound a little entitled, but so far, that's ALL we've been getting of her. From the IDW universes, the Animated cartoon that merged her with Blackarachnia, the Dreamwave comics that made her an agent of the Quintessons, etc. I know I can't be blinded by nostalgia, but I truly miss the righteous and heroic Elita One, the one who was a true counterpart to Optimus Prime; where he was a father to his men, she was a mother to her own soldiers. But of course, the most adverse effect of this status quo change has been on her relationship.
    DSC_0508.JPG
    I miss these two...

Anyway, let's get to the car mode!
    DSC_0503.JPG
    WHAT, the F##K did I build?

Yeaaahh...this alt-mode could use a bit of work...right?

Okay, this is a tough one to look at, mainly because I still like this alt-mode, even if it makes no GODDAMN SENSE. Those heel-struts are either supposed to be the front of the car, or rocket boosters to drive faster. But why would those be in FRONT of the car?! And that's not even bringing up the fact that the windshield (which WAS a thing on the original design) is completely obscured by the hood. Maybe I should exchange those for flat 1x3 tiles, cause it just looks silly.

But the think I take into account the most...is that this is an ALIEN car that isn't being driven by anything. It doesn't need to make sense...right?

(Sigh), whatever. Let's keep moving.
    DSC_0504.JPG
    Speaking of moving, I do like how the back kibble folds up to form back thrusters. Another thing I really dig is how the wheels tab into the helmet and allow it to rest there, so it won't budge while playing with it.

It's so cool that it even covers up the head!
    DSC_0505.JPG
    Another thing I'd address is that, as per my quota, there is partsforming around the arms, mainly to let it tab into the sides so it can form the front of the car mode.

Also, I'm noticing this now, the original figure also partsformed the breastplate to go a full 180 degrees, which would make for a cleaner backside. I don't have it in the pictures, but I still recommend doing it if you replicate this figure.

As for the pylons, I shifted them a bit so that they complete the car look. I also allow for the spikes to retract, which is pretty neat.
    DSC_0506.JPG
    Overall, the alt-mode is really flawed (and could use some stickers...) but it's still fun to transform it back. As for its accuracy to G1, it is missing the Elita helmet jutting out from the top, but I tried homaging that by having the helmet be exposed from both left and right sides while it's concealed at the top.

And so, that concludes the showcase. Elita-One as a character always felt like potential that has been meant to be tapped. And while some writers have certainly called on that potential really well, it's never been in service to who she originally was. Elita-One, from her original voice (Marlene Aragon) to her actions in her only episode, was clearly a counterpart to Optimus Prime, and in more ways than one. From being rebuilt from Ariel as he was from Orion Pax (or as I prefer, her just adopting the codename), to how she guided her troops in several different battlefields. She's been anti-hero, villainess, and anti-villain, but what about this character made writers so fearful of her connection to Optimus? I have no idea, and I really hope to see that story unfold again some day, but for now, we just have to wait and see.

But I sure as hell ain't forgetting the leader of the female Autobots.
    DSC_0510.JPG

Okay, we begin Wave 4 of my custom Kre-O Battle Changers. Next time...we unleash the beast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Laserhead4

YouTube:
    (Work in Progress, text coming soon)
    DSC_0513.JPG DSC_0519.JPG DSC_0514.JPG DSC_0512.JPG DSC_0515.JPG DSC_0516.JPG DSC_0520.JPG DSC_0521.JPG DSC_0522.JPG DSC_0523.JPG DSC_0524.JPG DSC_0525.JPG DSC_0526.JPG DSC_0517.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I like the ball joint connectors for the jet mode...

• Like Like x 1
  8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Powerglide is ace btw.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Laserhead4

YouTube:
    Thank you!

10. Laserhead4