Heavy/Scratch: Custom Kre-O Battle Changer Showcases

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Laserhead4, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Which figure do you want to kick off Wave 5?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2020.
  1. Wreck-Gar

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Lugnut

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. Dinobot

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Gnashteeth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 Clearing out, Buy my stuff!!

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You could totally do Springer from their instructions for drift!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Laserhead4

Laserhead4 Master Builder and Filmmaker

YouTube (Legacy):
    I could...if I could get my hands on another Hound. He's sold out on Amazon, and there's only one of him left on eBay and it goes for a ridiculous price.

3. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 Clearing out, Buy my stuff!!

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well I did find a place where I can buy a bunch, Id be happy to send you some But can’t I can’t at the moment, Sorry! :( 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    That's alright!

5. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and today we look at an old friend. Long ago, I had originally bought a Ratchet v. Soundwave 2-pack, and had deconstructed Soundwave to make a battle changer of my own, meant to resemble Arcee from the Prime Cartoon. It was my first time doing so, and it was...rough, as I had kept on experimenting on it to make a better and more stable transformation. The end result was a weird motor cycle thing that didn't even look that much like a motorcycle, and it looked more like a cybertronian vehicle mode than anything. That BC was my first true custom, and she went from being Arcee to another well-known fembot. And then, I lost her...and I never found her.

But then…an amazing thing happened.

I rebuilt the figure. This time with accurate colors.

It's like a dream come true.

So allow me with pride to present to you the remake of my first BC EVER, the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Elita-One!
    DSC_0486.JPG
    (comes with two alternate chest pieces and a poorly made gun)
    I'm so happy I was able to get enough money to rebuild this thing, and that there were enough pink, red, and white left around for me to do this.

This thing was exhilarating to build. It felt like I had found a piece to a puzzle that I couldn't complete. This really helped tie a lot of my collection together.

DSC_0487.JPG
    So let's get started. I feel that there's a bit too much red and pink applied to her front, but that doesn't detract from the great design of the figure. I love the head, I love the helmet just as much. Special thanks to Tresob, aka Retro Rocket Hip on Shapeways for providing me with the helmet. Any other helmet would have just not fit. As for the head, that obviously comes from the SDCC 2014 exclusive Arcee Kreon. I saw many others do it to their custom Elita kreons, so I opted to do the same. It just fits the character so well, and with reference to how she looked in the G1 cartoon, it's actually pretty accurate to her character model too!

Though I should mention that all those other smarter people managed to take the nose out, which I wasn't able to because...well, I'm dumb.

I'll talk about the breastplate later on, but my initial thoughts are that it's SUPER good! It's not one-to-one with G1, but that was never my intention, and I think I was able to do justice to my own concept of Elita.

As for her shoulder pylons, they deserve an image of their own.
    DSC_0488.JPG
    Now, this is one of the areas of the figure where I got to experiment the most, AKA I changed it up from the original a bit. Originally, all there was was a simple slanted tile that was just there. While it's still that same slanted tile, I used a different (longer) one and added some detales to it. I like the color balance of red and white, and with the tiny stud of pink there just to be consistent with the rest of the design.

I also like how I interpreted Elita's...uh...spikes. In the same place as Optimus's smokestacks are these single spikes on Elita's shoulders. I recreated that to the best of my ability using silver null-rays.

I guess we can talk about the other side-bits too. I'm sure those heel-struts are gonna raise some eyebrows. Truth is, I like them that way, and that's my faithfulness to the original design. It's also necessary for the transformation as they form the front of the car. One should also remember that before the design belonged to Elita-One, it belonged to Arcee, so I modeled the heels off of her. In retrospect, that may not have been the right move if I decided it was to be another character, but I still feel this is a good look for the character. It gives her a great sense of presence amongst the other bots. Feel free to disagree with me if you must.
    DSC_0489.JPG
    I'm less forgiving to the back, however. There had to be another way to hide the wheels, though they do hide the vehicle kibble, which was virtually non-existent on Elita's cartoon model.

Also, I'm not happy by the random bits of purple on the figure. It doesn't fit her at all. I do have a red one of each of the pieces I'm referring to, but that's...already in use. I am more happy with the bits of black. Really grounds the figure in my opinion and makes her feel more lively. I didn't want it all to be bright and colorful. It's just that purple doesn't fit while black does.

I was worried that by blindly but faithfully recreating the figure, that it would become a glorified brick with no poseability. But to my surprise, it does!
    DSC_0490.JPG
    It was completely poseable.

But it was the journey there that was the issue.

The figure feels really stiff for me, and not as sturdy as I wanted it to be. Because of that, it was a chore to pose. Especially since, in fact, the heel-struts aren't completely flush and are already flimsy on their own. Oof.
    DSC_0491.JPG
    It is the simple poses that count for me, though. The above pose is completely mine, Elita never did that anywhere.

Another thing to admire about the figure is how different it looks from her base source: Soundwave. There are so many differences now that you can't tell where I got what from.
    DSC_0493.JPG
    With that out of the way...

Let's talk about the breastplate.
    DSC_0499.JPG
    I designed three separate breastplates for Elita after I grew unconfident with the first. I looked back at the original design as little as I could because I was an idiot. By the time I realized that the original was lacking pink, it was too late.
    DSC_0500.JPG
    Compared to the normal one, this original piece does have a lot of good to it, such as the larger white space that could lead further to her white-colored head. But it's the bottom that screws it up.

So I moved on...
    DSC_0501.JPG
    ...and made this monstrosity.
    Yeesh, it looks like a naked Evangelion. Yuck.

So with that, I found a compromise, one that harkened back to the original very well. While I wish I could have made the white space a bit larger, the normal plate is still the best for me.
    DSC_0502.JPG
    (In case you couldn't tell, she's giving her approval to this breastplate like a chef)
    Anyway, let's get to the SIZE COMPARISON!
    Here she is with BC Soundwave:
    DSC_0494.JPG
    Her 4-million-year-old war rival, BC Shockwave:
    DSC_0495.JPG
    The now COMPLETED BC Swindle (showcase coming soon):
    DSC_0498.JPG
    And finally Battle Changer Optimus Prime:
    DSC_0497.JPG
    Okay, before we continue, I've got something to say about the OTP of Transformers. I'm not a fan of the way their relationship is being handled in modern Transformers media, and that's mainly because Elita-One's role in recent media has made her an anti-hero or straight up VILLAIN to the Autobots, which again, I'm not a fan of. I know, that makes me sound a little entitled, but so far, that's ALL we've been getting of her. From the IDW universe making her a political zealot, the Animated cartoon that merged her with Blackarachnia, the Dreamwave comics that made her an agent of the Quintessons, etc. Hell, even my precious Transformers: Prime would have killed her off were it not for the writers deeming her mention unnecessary. I know I can't be blinded by nostalgia, but I truly miss the righteous and heroic Elita One, the one who was a true counterpart to Optimus Prime; where he was a father to his men, she was a mother to her own soldiers. But of course, the most adverse effect of this status quo change has been on her relationship.
    DSC_0508.JPG
    I miss these two...

Anyway, let's get to the car mode!
    DSC_0503.JPG
    WHAT, the F##K did I build?

Yeaaahh...this alt-mode could use a bit of work...right?

Okay, this is a tough one to look at, mainly because I still like this alt-mode, even if it makes no GODDAMN SENSE. Those heel-struts are either supposed to be the front of the car, or rocket boosters to drive faster. But why would those be in FRONT of the car?! And that's not even bringing up the fact that the windshield (which WAS a thing on the original design) is completely obscured by the hood. Maybe I should exchange those for flat 1x3 tiles, cause it just looks silly.

But the think I take into account the most...is that this is an ALIEN car that isn't being driven by anything. It doesn't need to make sense...right?

(Sigh), whatever. Let's keep moving.
    DSC_0504.JPG
    Speaking of moving, I do like how the back kibble folds up to form back thrusters. Another thing I really dig is how the wheels tab into the helmet and allow it to rest there, so it won't budge while playing with it.

It's so cool that it even covers up the head!
    DSC_0505.JPG
    Another thing I'd address is that, as per my quota, there is partsforming around the arms, mainly to let it tab into the sides so it can form the front of the car mode.

Also, I'm noticing this now, the original figure also partsformed the breastplate to go a full 180 degrees, which would make for a cleaner backside. I don't have it in the pictures, but I still recommend doing it if you replicate this figure.

As for the pylons, I shifted them a bit so that they complete the car look. I also allow for the spikes to retract, which is pretty neat.
    DSC_0506.JPG
    Overall, the alt-mode is really flawed (and could use some stickers...) but it's still fun to transform it back. As for its accuracy to G1, it is missing the Elita helmet jutting out from the top, but I tried homaging that by having the helmet be exposed from both left and right sides while it's concealed at the top.

And so, that concludes the showcase. Elita-One as a character always felt like potential that has been meant to be tapped. And while some writers have certainly called on that potential really well, it's never been in service to who she originally was. Elita-One, from her original voice (Marlene Aragon) to her actions in her only episode, was clearly a counterpart to Optimus Prime, and in more ways than one. From being rebuilt from Ariel as he was from Orion Pax (or as I prefer, her just adopting the codename), to how she guided her troops in several different battlefields. She's been anti-hero, villainess, and anti-villain, but what about this character made writers so fearful of her connection to Optimus? I have no idea, and I really hope to see that story unfold again some day, but for now, we just have to wait and see.

But I sure as hell ain't forgetting the leader of the female Autobots.
    DSC_0510.JPG

Okay, we begin Wave 4 of my custom Kre-O Battle Changers. Next time...we unleash the beast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and today we jump into the Jungles of the prehistoric era of the Transformers. That’s right. The BEAST WARS are upon us.

I’ll try to include as many references to the show/era as I can, but don’t expect too much. I’m not exactly that familiar with this era yet as I didn’t grow up with it. All I know is the backstory, the conflict, and that it was what closed out the original G1 cartoon canon.

So with that out of the way, we begin where we always begin: the Prime…al.

Behold, the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Optimus Primal!
    DSC_0513.JPG
    Y’know that moment when you realize that for the Beast Era characters, you’re supposed to start out with the alt-modes so you can say “Maximize” or “Terrorize”?
    Whoops.

Anyhow, this guy was really fun to make, especially this sees the first of a new style of Battle Changer I have experimented with and used multiple times. In lack of proper hip joints and backpack pieces, I found a way to use five-studded LEGO die-cubes (aka LEGO Part 4733) so that they can not only house a sustainable backpack and Kre-O torso, but also use good and effective legs! The only downside to this is that the actual leg joints you can make are limited in creativity; the legs with these are VASTLY different to how the Battle Changer legs traditionally are. Thus, I like to use this system exclusively for Beast Era characters.

As you can see before you, Primal has very design accurate gorilla legs, and an even more accurate torso. I love the short stocky nature he has, especially in how I crafted his arms. Thanks to the 2015 Kre-O body design being different in the Ball Joint size, I could fit other pieces in there for new types of arms. And holy hell it looks amazing!

Now, onto the front.
    DSC_0519.JPG
    Well...that's just Prime. It's faded.

The head is…meh. This is by no means my best head, but when I first painted it, it looked good. That’s what aging/fading does, I guess. But if you couldn’t tell, I made the head from one of the MANY Kre-O BC Megatron heads I had to get for the project. I’m telling you guys. Repainting is so simple with that silver marker and your Pilot-2 black pen. It really is.

The torso is pretty standard, though criminally under-detailed. Overall, I was going for a more cybernetic and less organic look to my BW figures, and I think this carries that nicely. I don’t know if in the future I’m gonna add in that core thing on his chest, but as it stands, this is okay, especially since it’ll look better for the transformation.

The thing that I’m really not happy with are the hands. They’re too wide and are using up valuable hip-joints. I’ll have to find better solutions for this part.
    DSC_0514.JPG
    For a side profile, this is pretty I’m happy with what I ended up producing…mostly. The big turn-off is that gap between the chest plate and the actual torso. But otherwise, it’s clean. You can definitely see more of the gorilla in his legs from this angle. Also, on the back, I included a little Easter egg in those two little arms. They’re meant to be the Prime Jets…either that or his shoulder cannons stored away...but I remember thinking they were the Prime Jets when I was building it.

…dear god what was I thinking. Expect the Prime Jets to looks different if this figure ever cameos in another size comparison. Though they may look cool from some angles, they are taxing up my resources. I’m actually almost done with my collection at the time of this writing (just finished my entire collection of Autobots save a few people I want to try to build), so I need all the resources I can scrap up.

Anyway, I know it might be hard to see, but the head of the gorilla ends up forming his backpack. And it does jut out noticeably far. But look at it from the back.
    DSC_0512.JPG
    It looks clean from here, honestly.

Now regarding poseability…
    DSC_0515.JPG DSC_0516.JPG
    Even I’m surprised by how much this guy can pull off, all things considered. Despite the size of that backpack, he’s able to hold his positions! And again, I'm doing all of this without the traditional BC Ball Joints, so such dynamic movement is definitely a step up against the normal "protoform".

Anyway! Size comparisons!

Battle Changer Optimus Prime:
    DSC_0520.JPG
    Battle Changer Elita-One:
    DSC_0521.JPG
    And the then-recently completed…
    Battle Changer Dinobot:
    DSC_0522.JPG
    Oh boy, am I ever looking forward to that showcase.
    And yes, I know you all want a size comparison with…"Gnashteeth"…but I’m still working out the kinks on that one.

Anyway, let’s move on to the Beast Mode!
    DSC_0523.JPG
    I’m relatively proud with how this turned out. Though that giant gap at the jugular exposing the head is just...Prime. I try to reason to myself that because it's a cybernetic gorilla, it's not exactly breaking any rules, but every time I look at it, that reasoning doesn't register. That's how you can tell there's an objective flaw with your work. When working on the guy, I did try to do something, and that's what the 1x3 tiles on the forearms were meant to do initially, but that plan died out. I'll probably have a 2.0/Status Update or something in case I've figured it out.

But otherwise, it's fantastic. I love how the shape of the pieces of the face visibly reminds me of the CGI beast-mode model (though with Rob Liefeld syndrome, considering how much those "eyes" are covered in shadows). And the benefit of a minimal transformation like this is that most of the poseability is maintained.
    DSC_0524.JPG
    Huh...it actually looks good from that angle...
    DSC_0526.JPG
    Never mind.

Actually...wait, can we go back to the legs?
    DSC_0524.JPG
    Damn. I like what I did with the legs here. I modeled the legs' transformation off of the Primal Masterpiece figure, in how they collapse into "Thunder thighs". It looks like he's kneeling, though.

More than that, it seems I finally remember why I used Part 4733. As you can see, I may have lied a bit about the poseability. The arms are on an axel joint, so they have no free range. The easy solution to that (not displayed) is that you simply disconnect the hands and place it facing a different stud. This example involves the pose I was trying to do here, where gorillas pound their fists, so the fix would be to reposition the hand. Partsforming, I don't care. It's LEGO/Kre-O. If you're not doing some partsforming, you might as well get an actual Transformer toy.

And of course, that pose would be super cool in the feature shots, a la below.
    DSC_0525.JPG
    YYYYEESSSSS...
    (sees the head)
    NNNOOOO....

Anyway, that wraps today's review up. Next up, I'll be posting some of the showcases I displayed on other threads. But it's getting harder to do these in-depth write-ups for the showcases. I'm at the tail-end of my final year of high school, so things are gonna be tough on updates on the main thread.

Till then, see you all next time.
    DSC_0517.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I like the ball joint connectors for the jet mode...

Powerglide is ace btw.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
  9. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Paleontologist Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    I feel your pain.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Optimus Primal Showcase has been updated.

11. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and we got a quickie for today. But it's no ordinary quicky. Just as I revolutionized Battle Changers last time by creating a new chasis for Optimus Primal, I did it again with the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Oil Slick.
    IMG_0194.JPG
    Oil Slick was one of those characters that had such a unique design that I had to try my hand at making one of my specialties for him. And I didn't think I'd find inspiration in the Kre-O "Armor-Up" figurines. I managed to create two characters from the two packs that I got. You'll be able to see the other one really soon (depending on how fast the Coronavirus is exterminated from China so I can get my piece de resistance for that one head).

I do think I've captured the Animated character's aesthetics quite well, especially with those slender arms and that head. Let's take a look, shall we?
    IMG_0210.JPG
    I paid close attention to how the character looked in the show, and managed to get the necessary details right, right down to the screw on his head. I also found that in painting my own face, it tended to...well, melt. For Oil Slick, it looks appropriate, but I worry what may happen if I do this for other figures. As for the glorious glass dome, it was such a coincidence that I had this piece. And honestly it completes the look tremendously.

Though I do have a few issues with the tampographs I had to work with. I mean, I'm still okay with it, but it does bug me a bit. Y'know how IDW's 2005 continuity basically had...everyone? You know how it had multiple characters, some of whom from different continuities altogether, sharing the same space with major differences in aesthetic? Like, how you saw TFP Knock Out with G1 Starscream, but they never bothered to give Knock Out a G1 aesthetic (well, I mean, they did eventually, but still) so it all looked a bit...off?

With this figure's design, such as the print on the legs, that had me worrying that I was making the same mistake that IDW was making. Am I making characters irrespective of whether they fit with my largely G1-inspired collection of Battle Changers?

Eh, whatever. Just a thought.
    IMG_0195.JPG The side here looks great, and really demonstrates how slender he really is. I made it a point to localize the masses (the larger parts) around his legs to add to that effect.

As for the shoulder thing, I will admit it's not good. I half assed that one.
    IMG_0204.JPG
    As you can see here though, I didn't half ass the back. It looks well integrated and sufficient for its purposes. I love the added detail of the canisters on his back. It adds to that chemist backstory nicely.
    IMG_0205.JPG
    And lastly, I'd like to draw attention to the very gun that he uses, because when I disassemble it, it plays into the vehicle mode very nicely.
    IMG_0206.JPG
    Hot DAMN this is fantastic.

I guess the lesson learned here is that I need to invest in more Armor-Up figurines.
    IMG_0207.JPG
    The impressive slenderness of the figure is not lost when you look from the side. Yes, to some degree it just looks like he's making a funny pose, but in other respects, look at how seemlessly things line up. It becomes less of a case of poseforming and more of a case of alignment. I like it.
    IMG_0208.JPG
    And that is best seen with how the legs form the bike's exhaust vents, and how the canisters become the pipes. I love it.

And that concludes that mini-showcase. Next time, we're gonna take a look at a figure from our old friend @megatroptimus, who graciously gave me the instructions for his "Long Nose Optimus Prime" Battle Changer in order to create a character that, even to this day, has never ceased to amaze me.

Depending on how much time I have for it, I'll get the review/showcase out as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    HOLY CRAP! DID YOU SEE THAT NETFLIX TRAILER! ELITA FANS, OUR WISH HAS BEEN GRANTED!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and for this one, you’re gonna want to be playing this music while you read:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2h3QKh7zUg&list=FLkbwylzVL_orBfDKfH1sc1Q
    My relationship with this character has been iffy. When I was introduced to him, he seemed like this authoritative moron who not only was a stickler for the rules, but was also so blind to injustices within his ranks. I'd say TFP really redeemed the character in my eyes, and motivated me to examine his other roles in media. That led to enough convincing to make a figure of him.

So, by Article 131412265317241561437345258976081984 under sub-section aghbfjkgl;fllkjasdajwipsgkj; of the Tyrest Accord, I present to you the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Ultra Magnus!
    DSC_0527.JPG
    What an outstanding achievement. This figure is among the tallest in my collection (though if you've been following me, you'll know that's no longer true...) and after the last two were new creations with new stylings for the BC, I figured we could return to form for a bit!
    This robot mode is incredible. The colors could use work in terms of consistency, but the bulky aesthetic and the feel of the figure is on point.

Yeah...that's all I got...mainly because a large part of what makes the figure interesting...is not mine.

I can honestly only take credit for the legs. The top half of this guy is based on a design for a long-nose Optimus Prime Battle Changer by @megatroptimus which you can find right here:
    . It's an ingenious design, and the only modification I made to it was the removal of the hinge plates to create Magnus's iconic long shoulders. Another thing that his design helped with was the the unique chestplate. On the long-nose BC, neither the truck windows nor the grill become the chest in robot mode, which of course lent itself very well to becoming an Ultra Magnus figure.
    DSC_0529.JPG
    Regarding some of my own color choices though, I will say I appreciate the amount of grey that I used. It's not completely covering him, but it is offering some much needed tonal balances. Because I always saw Magnus as this no-nonsense authority figure, I always felt he needed less color to carry that impression. He was too blue for who he was.

And as you can see here, where there is blue, it POPS. This is especially the case with the chestplate and the head. It's such a serious and disgruntled head, almost looking stressed, which fits him perfectly. The helmet is Sharpied from Topspin, as the color of the helmet did not match the color of the torso. I knew going into this that color would not be perfect, but I knew I had to make my color choices count where I wanted it to count most. The helmet carries the rest of the figure in terms of tone so much. It's not going for pizazz like Optimus, but it's simple and its direct. While I do think my take on Magnus's iconic chest is rather too simple, I think it works just fine.
    DSC_0698.JPG
    Oh, uh, note: for some reason, that piece on his shin is rotated a wrong way. I'll explain later.
    From his side, everything seems to be in military-standard working order. You also see certain...things in this mode that show certain...ooh, too good to spoil.
    Though, I will admit it's unfortunate I wasn't able to include his shoulder rockets. Honestly though, I didn't care for those things. The Prime Cartoon didn't have them, and that has the version of Magnus that I'm most familiar with. So, no shoulder rockets.
    Hang on, what's that on his back?
    DSC_0699.JPG
    Ah yes, that is a lovely little easter egg to the transformation of G1.

Yet another reason why I adopted the top half of @megatroptimus's long nose is because of how the front of the vehicle mode folded into the back, which instantly reminded me of how G1 Magnus's front cab also folded around his back while his carrier trailer wrapped around him like body armor. I felt this replicated that perfectly!

But one criticism I have is that the length of the bumper gets in the way of poseability. It was harder than I thought to get him into his 86 movie poster pose.
    DSC_0701.JPG
    Like, yes, I managed finally, but notice that the only way to do that was to essentially unfold the truck bit and get it out of the way of Magnus's shoulder.
    So the solution? I partsformed the two parts of the bumper to be more compact. If you're new to this series, know that I'm totally okay with minor forms of partsforming, because it certainly pays off, as seen below:
    DSC_0702.JPG
    I know it's supposed to be Galvatron instead of Megatron, yes, but damnit it's not good! IT'S AWESOME!

And of course, nowadays no Ultra anything isn't complete without some good ol' fashioned HAMMER TIME.
    What we have here is the Forge of Solus Prime, which if you watched Prime and DIDN'T hate every second of it (as I loved it), was basically depleted and used by Magnus afterwards as a stand-in for his Magnus Hammer from Transformers: Animated. DSC_0703.JPG
    When you work with what you've got, you can get some seriously powerful and dynamic poses out of this guy as he swings blows at all the Cons against him.

Look what he did to poor Oil Slick!
    DSC_0707.JPG
    Yikes...that's not gonna heal up anytime soon...

Size comparison!
    Here he is against:
    Battle Changer Oil Slick:
    DSC_0709.JPG
    Damn. He made a rapid recovery.
    Battle Changer Sideswipe:
    DSC_0710.JPG
    And lastly, Battle Changer...Grimlock:
    DSC_0712.JPG
    Yyyyyeaaaah...

Eh...heheheh...well...

Unfortunately I had to take away Grimlock's legs for Magnus. I think Grim's new legs, being darker suit him. And they actually don't impact his transformation...but they sorta...take away his waist swivel due to the egregiously fragile hip piece connection.

Sorry everyone. I don't think we'll be seeing the Dinosaur mode for a while. But look on the bright side: maybe in 5 years, he'll inexplicably start adopting the intelligence of his robot mode, start saying "I, Grimlock", and call himself..."Doc Gold?" I dunno. Leave a comment below and tell me what you think of Grimlock's new LEGO legs.

Whatever, let's get to the TRUCK MODE!
    DSC_0715.JPG
    Ah yes, the long nose truck in all it's glory! I LOVE IT!
    This is a fantastic design, and a huge shout-out to @megatroptimus for figuring out the mechanics behind it all. I know that the OG Magnus was a flat-nose in the past, but you can't discount this TFP inspired design solely on that. It works, and it gives us a Magnus figure as best as it can.

And as you may have noticed, I found a way to create his iconic car carrier mode...WITHOUT having it be his armor! Yes, unfortunately for all you Minimus Ambus fans or Powered Convoy followers, the carrier does NOT become the chest or arms of the figure. It simply forms some much needed detailing on the sides of the legs. I couldn't be happier with what we've got here. And while the carrier itself isn't one-to-one with the colors, that was actually intentional as I wanted more red on his legs, considering that the thighs that are supposed to be red...aren't.

This is also that thing that I was talking about earlier: in most of the pictures, the "flap" that's not flush with the hinge is flush with the shin. It shouldn't be like that. It should be like how it was in the first picture.

To which I will mention that dealing with the carrier is a bit of a bitch to handle. As you can also see, I partsform the red bits down a stud just so that it doesn't fall off as easily and it can lock into the legs. But when transforming him into vehicle mode, I always find it problematic to get the connectives to line up properly.

Also, I do want to mention one more thing: some of the color choices in vehicle mode may seem more reminding of Movie Optimus Prime as opposed to Ultra Magnus. That's actually because of a theory I have: The Movie Optimus Prime, as seen in Michael Bay's 5-film series run, or at the very least Age of Extinction and The Last Knight, was not the real Optimus Prime. Consider the fact that this version had a predominantly blue colorscheme, mere bits of red on his chest, a more complicated head that doesn't immediately scream Optimus...a brutal and militaristic personality instead of the warm and fatherly one of Optimus? It's almost like Ultra Magnus is posing as Optimus, just as he was a "poser" in IDW.

HMMM...
    DSC_0716.JPG
    Anyhow, the front of the truck is great, if a little plain. But that's not really the design's fault, it's the fact that I forgot the god-dang stickers again!

I promise you all. When this series finally ends, I will have each character reprolabelled or sticker-covered so these can actually look like the characters. I promise. It'll look like a party, and the official characters will be there too.

But still, I really love the flat-nose design. If I have to use it in the future (which is looking unlikely), I'll be sure to use the full design as intended by @megatroptimus.
    DSC_0718.JPG
    It may have a gappy underside, but at least it's a gappy underside with no robot kibble (except for the legs).

And of course...
    DSC_0717.JPG
    I know y'all wanted me to take some photos of the cars fitting into the carrier, like any of my Custom Kre-O Micro-Changers, and I will say...they do.
    J-Just take my word for it...

Anyway, that wraps up today's showcase, and wraps up Wave 5. I gotta say, making Ultra Magnus was a blast, especially since it felt like reconciling with the character. As I've said, I first learned of "Ultra Magnus" from Transformers: Animated. And I didn't like a lot of the decisions that went into the lore of that world, and Magnus being ruler was one of them. It's a cool idea, yes, but the problem was that he was portrayed as basically incompetent when handling his own personal soldiers. To this day, I still don't forgive him for expelling Optimus and believing Sentinel's LIES. Even if Optimus took responsibility for what was Sentinel's fault, Magnus should have figured it out.

TFP came along and also showed him unpreparedly taking on a leader role that the characters were uncomfortable with. In that respect, I feel Prime handled Magnus's transition to Earth (and his relationship with Optimus, no matter the power dynamics) far better than Animated did. So getting to make a figure in that respect helped me reshape my view on the character. After all, if it were Animated Magnus, he'd have no time to redeem themselves anyway.

Thank Primus TFP came in and changed that.
    DSC_0713.JPG
    "Advise the native life to watch it's tone as well."

Okay, okay, I'll shut up.

For the first review of Wave 5, I'll let YOU guys decide who to pick between.
    A. Wreck-Gar
    B. Lugnut
    C. Dinobot
    D. Gnashteeth

You make the call and you put your choice in the new poll I just added! I don't have time to do it myself!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Still blows me away.

Gosh, I'm four waves into this and I haven't been able to publicly thank you for your work, @megatroptimus. You're the main reason any and all of this was possible. Your customs were an inspiration that helped me maneuver through any of the complex engineering that goes into this stuff. And I just recently found out you've been making LEGO Transformers since the 80s? Holy scrap that's impressive...I guess I had a good teacher (along with @Aadeon of course). Thank you so much for your hard work, and for letting me immortalize your builds as their own separate characters!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    I realized that a week is not adequate time for all of you guys to respond, so I opened the poll up again.

Also, looks like Lugnut is in the lead, but I was not expecting a zero sum for Gnashteeth. Trust me, that's not the name you know him by.

17. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the alt mode on Magnus! Great Work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks! Be sure to vote your pick for the start of Wave 5!

19. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    I just realized that I could have stuck Magnus's shoulder rockets on the holes in his shoulder pylons, and they would fit directly in the gap of the truck...

Definitely showing that off for the next size comparison.

20. Agent 53

Agent 53 Well-Known Member

Looking at this does anyone else really want a Lego style transformers game?

• Like Like x 3