Heavy/Scratch: Custom Kre-O Battle Changer Showcases

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Laserhead4, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Which figure do you want to kick off Wave 5?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2020.
  1. Wreck-Gar

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Lugnut

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. Dinobot

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Gnashteeth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Laserhead4

Laserhead4 Master Builder and Filmmaker

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and today we're finally coming to that figure that's been lurking around me for a while now. We've been looking at a variety of smaller Battle Changers, and I think that's not a good representation of the quality I'm capable of. So today, we're taking a look at a Decepticon that I was introduced to through the videogame-prequel to Transformers: Prime, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. His striking design encouraged me to make a figure of him, regardless of the connotations of his figure being made. So let's dig into the Kre-O Battle Chang-
    DSC_0157.JPG
    Oh, sorry, hold on...I haven't had to lift this camera up for a while.
    (Clears throat)
    So let's dig into the Kre-O Battle Changers Onslaught!
    DSC_0158.JPG
    I hope he looks good for you guys, because I think he looks great to me, and I hope it was worth the build up!

This figure was something of a challenge for me. As Onslaught is meant to be a pretty long and tall bot, I had been worrying that I wouldn't have enough parts to even complete it. The character is known for having (in simplest forms, anyway) a total of 8 wheels, and at the time of this figure's creation, I only had six. The most I could do was stretch these six wheels out. I hope it looks good as it is.
    DSC_0159.JPG
    As you can probably see, Onslaught is a retool of Battle Changer Optimus Prime, meaning that most of the points regarding that figure's articulation can be applied here. Having Optimus be redecoed and retooled into Onslaught was something that I had actually thought of way back, but as I explained earlier it was a plan I hadn't thought through completely, especially in regards to the legs.

The colors may seem off to you, but that's mainly because of a lack of the right parts. I think it works though. As Onslaught's alt mode is meant to be a military vehicle, the different shades of green could be seen as camouflage splashes. The areas of brown could be seen as dirt or just adding on to that camouflage, but I think that might be stretching it. Now you may have noticed that unlike Optimus, the shoulders seem to be the wrong way around. Well...
    DSC_0160.JPG
    The lack of parts resulted in me having to build specific Kre-O exclusive bricks from LEGO bricks, and it's here that you can see how that was better utilized. I'm able to spin around the individual tile of the wheel to have it rest against the rest of the shoulder, rather than just be hidden by it. It also works as a design element for Onslaught himself, as the guy's Dreamwave counterpart was absolutely covered in wheels. I like this touch I made.

Actually, let's talk about the design choices I made for this figure.
    DSC_0161.JPG
    I was initially unhappy with the head, and while it's grown on me, I'm still a little iffy about it. I'm not upset about the helmet; I honestly think that an Optimus Prime helmet would've worked best for this character, considering the helmet's color in G1. The head behind it is the thing that's bothering me. I didn't have the Bruticus Kre-O set, and if I had a choice, I'd probably use Onslaught's head from there here, as the shade of yellow is too off-putting.

The chest was something that I feel worked so much better. You'll notice the beige 2x3 tile behind the main chest piece, serving as a ShoutOut to Onslaught's Dreamwave design. The chest piece itself is pretty good as well, The 1x4 plate that has the studs on them gives the figure's chest a more defensive or rough aesthetic. Once again calling to the military aesthetic that Combaticons are meant to have, this rough nature further emphasizes the battle-hardened personality of Onslaught. The sticker in the middle is a homage to the center-sticker of his original toy, as well as most of the Scramble City combiners, which all had these weird panels that served no apparent purpose. Overall, I feel I did a real good job with this chest.

Behind the figure are his iconic dual cannons, and they replace the hood of the original Optimus. It looks great, and I couldn't be happier with it, especially in regards to the transformation.

Now, regarding the back of the figure...
    DSC_0162.JPG
    It's fine...sorta...
    I will digress when people may say it's too messy or there's just too many color clashes. This is unfortunately the most I can do. This is also the area that holds the area for the partsforming quota. We'll cover that later in the vehicle mode.

As you've also probably noticed, Onslaught has a few accessories aside from the dual cannons. He comes with a standard Cybertronian assault rifle, colored in gray, which I gave him from Hardshell.
    DSC_0163.JPG
    It's an okay-looking gun, though I'm gonna make an attempt to color it up in the future. When it comes to rebelling against Megatron, it's not a bad gun, and is able to match the titanium tyrant's fusion cannon.
    DSC_0164.JPG
    It's because of that, though, that I much prefer his OTHER gun.
    DSC_0165.JPG
    It's a heavy set, sure, but it has a really cool function in vehicle mode, and can double as a massive gun for Onslaught to carry against all those who oppose his plans.

I think that's all we have to cover for now. Let's get on to some size comparisons.
    Here's Battle Changer Starscream:
    DSC_0166.JPG
    (I would've shown Skywarp, but honestly Onslaught and Starscream have a much greater history, both in G1 and the Aligned Continuity)
    Battle Changer Ironhide:
    DSC_0167.JPG
    Micro-Changer Brawn:
    DSC_0168.JPG
    And finally, Battle Changer Megatron:
    DSC_0169.JPG
    It may not look like it from this photo, but Onslaught is a wee-bit taller than ol' Buckethead. My friends, this officially makes Onslaught the tallest of all the Battle Changers!
    DSC_0170.JPG
    EXCELLENT!

Now, onto the vehicle mode!
    DSC_0171.JPG
    Not bad at all, if I do say so myself...even if it's very unoriginal. Practically all the windows are in the same spot, and the only thing of interest is that he's got going for him is two sets of cannons and stretched out leg-wheels.

But honestly...I'm not a guy that works at Hasbro. If they can make a better Onslaught BC than me, then I'd like to see them do so, but as we unfortunately know, they aren't going to do that any time soon.

For now, I feel this is a design that fits the casual alt-mode of Onslaught, and complements his robot mode pretty well. It highlights some areas of the figure that I didn't want in the spotlight, such as those random colors of orange and light-blue, just sitting there in the midst of camo-green and navy-blue. It's not a good look, but what is a good look is the way the main colors stand out on their own, drawing attention to each of the figure's good parts.
    DSC_0172.JPG
    Finally, let's talk about the big guns. The dual cannons from the robot mode are maintained here, but behind him is the BFG from earlier making for some giant missile launchers! I have an explanation behind this; you see, the robot mode of the original G1 toy had a missile launcher, but it was that which became the dual cannons on his back. I didn't know how to do that with this stuff, so I looked to the DX9 Gewalt for inspiration. In that figure, Blitzwing's tank turret is partsformed off to become a sniper rifle for him to either keep behind him or use. I took that idea for having the larger and "real" version be tacked on to become a gun of sorts, while another accessory filled its place.

Oh, and the partsformed areas of this figure (aside from the tacked-on gun) are the dark-earth-green arc-bows that you see here; the same parts that formed Onslaugt's heel-struts. You eagle-eyed viewers may notice that it's been moved up a place from where it originally sat: completely encompassing one half of the hinge piece. That's because I moved it up, so as to prevent it from breaking apart (you can see in the image above that the hinge plate isn't the most secure or sturdy).
    DSC_0174.JPG
    Finally, the biggest issue for me was the loss of something to cover up the helmet. Though I'll let it slide. Certain compromises have to be made, and I feel this was a good compromise on my part.

For anybody that prefers Onslaught to be a little more disguise-friendly, there's always the possibility of just removing the guns and setting the cannons down to resemble smokestacks. Thus, we have a friendly looking vehicle that definitely doesn't want to kill us!
    DSC_0175.JPG
    Anyway, that about wraps up this showcase. I'm glad I could get this one out to you guys. For anyone wondering if I'm gonna do the other Combaticons, I can say that I've already finished Brawl, and am trying to make Swindle, but the other two aren't gonna get BCs. As cool as it might be for me to try to form them into Bruticus, I'd want to keep thing focused on making the actual characters that I care about.

I was attracted to this character through his rebellious, pompous, and almost heroic attitude from Fall of Cybertron. In a mostly Autobot focused game, where the Decepticons were all making evil gestures, this was the one character that was a little more calm and practical. He's no Thundercracker (who, btw, is my FAVORITE Decepticon), but Onslaught's threatening but confident nature almost made me want to root for the evil team.

Also...good, bad...he's the guy with a giant gun. And I'm sure that would be a great motivating factor for my support of him.
    DSC_0176.JPG
    DSC_0177.JPG
    "Excellent! I've found the perfect alternate head! If Soundwave doesn't approve of this by the sliding mechanism of his aluminium faceplate, then I'll just blow him the hell up! It's a great strategy!"

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you planning on the other Combatacons, and the eventual Bruticus?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't say for certain, but I'm definitely making Brawl and Swindle. The former actually has been made, and I'm simply just toying around with the design to make it different from Megatron. Swindle will be a tough one, as I initially was posed to making a redeco of Battle Changer Ironhide...but I'm thinking that maybe he could be something else.

Blastoff and Vortex on the other hand...will not be made. Those two combaticons never made any footprint of their own in recent Transformers media. I liked Onslaught from FOC, I liked Brawl from his appearance in the live-action movie, and I liked Swindle from his presence in Animated. But the other two haven't been as appealing to me, and I'm making usually making BCs of the characters I love in this franchise.

Bruticus is a possibility...only if I use the BC Ironhide for Swindle instead of the original design that I've been thinking of lately. From what I've been able to gather, he is possible because of Onslaught's legs and feet being able to connect to Brawl and Swindle in vehicle mode. Though, because I don't want to make Blastoff and Vortex, Bruticus won't have his arms. Although, in place of Vortex, I could make Blackout a member of this team for the sake of that AWESOME helicopter shoulder he has. I haven't thought of a replacement for Blastoff, mainly because if I'm going to make a Battle Changer that has a space shuttle alternate mode, I'd like that to be Astrotrain more than anything else...and he's been an extremely big challenge for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BLITZTURBO86

BLITZTURBO86 Well that's just prime

YouTube (Legacy):
    Wow,how creative.these are all amazing my dude.the jazz one blew me away but wheeljack was so dope,great job on all of them

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thatsjustkreo67

News Credits:
    Pull a PCC And make Vortex and Blast Off Drones.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    What's a PCC? Like a Power Core Combiner?

I don't know how I'd be able to execute that for Bruticus...sorry.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  7. Thatsjustkreo67

News Credits:
    Make the Arms do nothing except be arms that attach to make Bruticus.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Wouldn't that kinda ruin the point of it being a combiner?

Trust me, I'll find a replacement for Blast Off. After doing some research on the TFWiki, I found that some of the Combiner Wars toys actually had Blast Off's alt mode being a jet rather than a space shuttle. Maybe I'll make a seeker (Sunstorm?) to fill his place then. I just don't feel like using Blast Off or Vortex. Is that okay?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thatsjustkreo67

News Credits:
    Yeah, just trying to help you out!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks man! I appreciate it!

11. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Everybody else! Stay tuned next time (give me two weeks), as I unveil the next character in our show!

And AWAY WE GO with the KRE-O BATTLE CHANGER POWERGLIDE!

See you all soon!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and it has been a while, my friends. I have been hard at work finishing the next few installments of our beloved saga, and on top of my other endeavors, I've been managing it very haphazardly. But I've got another batch for you all to enjoy, so dig in anyway! As promised, we're gonna kick things off into the sky with an airborne figure! So, without further ado, AWAY WE GO with the completely KRE-O original, Kre-O Battle Changer Powerglide!
    DSC_0178.JPG
    (Comes with Toy-accurate torso, heart (n/p), and gun)
    Ho. Ly. Crap.
    If I had to rate my figures based on accuracy to the G1 cartoon...this would be getting the highest marks! It's almost match for match!
    The head is amazing. Simplistic, minimalist, whatever. It manages to completely capture his relatable and insecure, yet somewhat friendly presence from the cartoon. That last bit is thanks in part to the chrome head that I got for him. This head came with the 2015 re-release of the original Powerglide Micro Changer, and this shade of chrome just happened to be the same as the chrome used for the Battle Changer heads. It's the perfect head, and it works so well with that cone helmet. Furthermore, the decal on the face is also a factor in his appeal. Sure, it's not as detailed as the Class of '85 head, which had a G1 accurate frown-brow, but I prefer this one just for the fact that it looks so simple. So this simple face works much more to the innocent or lively feel of the figure, giving it a feeling like he can be whatever you want him to be and I love it for that. Boisterous people don't always frown.

As you all know, Powerglide had a set of turbines on his legs. My figure has two. Both factor into the vehicle mode in extremely interesting ways. Also, the way the arms curve into the back of the figure honest-to-god reminds me of a cartoon model. I love it! But...there is a dark truth behind these arms...we'll get to those later.

Finally, the torso was a tough call for me to make. I didn't know if I wanted to maintain the simplicity, or if I wanted to have a detailed torso. After all, many of the BC torsos have extremely good quality detailing, so why shouldn't I have used the '85 torso? Well, I was actually resolved to do so...but then I find the torso has a faded Autobot symbol...and it's very visible. My choice came down to choosing which one would flow the best while still having the most important detail intact. So...I went with the one that's not detailed enough.

Now, from the first sight of it, his accuracy to the G1 cartoon may not necessarily be a good thing. It definitely transforms, but as you can probably already see with his backpack, that came at an unfortunate cost. The arms have extremely minimal range and are only able to move out when you essentially take apart the chest.
    DSC_0182.JPG
    This is due to the fact that I wanted to stay closer to his aesthetic than other products. The Micro-Changer had completely free hands and the upward wings were part of a backpack. I didn't like that, so that's why you're not seeing the usual battle changer joints in play here. The necessities of the transformation mandated an unorthodox way of building and crafting this thing, hence the limited nature.

On a side note, we have to talk about the arms themselves a little more in depth. I know they aren't accurate at all, and their limited range makes for a disappointing compromise. But it was a compromise nevertheless, because the arms are actually what lock the wings in place, rather than just having them flap around. Furthermore, you see how the wings are connected to those hinge pieces? Their movement makes them rest on the arms in vehicle mode, and without the arms they'd be flailing around too. The arms work for the bare necessities, so I'm fine with it.

But in a major contrast, those legs are great! Those limb joints came from a Cityville set where they were black, and I painted them silver, and they are smaller than even the normal BC thigh joints. It definitely works for this figure, and reduces his size to exactly the right amount. The feet themselves are perfect. I used Powerglide's rather ancient alt mode as close reference, and I searched for a way to make it all flow together as best as possible. I don't think I could have done a better job than here. Also, thanks to those little slabs I stuck on the ends, he's one of the few BCs that has a leg pivot! JobbytheHong would be proud!
    DSC_0184.JPG
    The back looks great, even if it proves what I was saying about this thing being really limited.

By the way, I want to take some time to apologize for the lack of stickers on this guy, as well as on most of my recent Battle Changers. There's supposed to be an upside down Autobot symbol on his legs that's also split in half. I found that to be too hard to do under such short time, and I was spending time on other things as well. I am working on more stickers, and like Jazz and Wheeljack they will be used as much as possible.

Anyway, thanks to those legs, his size is smaller than even I expected, and again I'm glad that's the case!
    DSC_0183.JPG
    Well, he might not be...that's gotta hurt...

The thing that I absolutely loved about his overall design was the way I managed to create his iconic wing-shoulders; by extremely simple engineering, I did what an official company couldn't, and the thought of that makes me want to rocket into the sky...if I don't die from extreme pressure first...

So yeah, while his poseability is limited, he can still pull some dynamic stances.
    DSC_0186.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0180.JPG
    DSC_0181.JPG
    Hey, you can even recreate some G1 scenes!
    DSC_0185.JPG
    (Based on Ghost in the Machine)
    Yeah, okay. That one involved me having to partsform the arms in order for it to work...
    ...but who cares.
    Anyway, let's get to size comparison.
    Here's the Micro/Battle Changer Slug (Credit goes to simonlaw16 for the design)
    DSC_0187.JPG
    Battle Changer Bumblebee
    DSC_0188.JPG
    Battle Changer Prowl
    DSC_0189.JPG
    (No, I'm not changing that design, I think it suits him!)
    The tallest of them all, Battle Changer Onslaught DSC_0190.JPG
    Oh yeah, I decided to give him Soundwave's head after all. Also, I'm surprised that I even got him in frame.
    And finally, THE TEST OF TRUTH!
    Battle Changer Reflector/Viewfinder
    DSC_0191.JPG
    The...uh...the helmets don't count, do they?
    Because if they don't...that makes Powerglide the smallest of the Battle Changers...all of them...
    Uh...you decide!

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's move onto the-
    DSC_0192.JPG
    ZOMG...THE VEHICLE MODE!
    It's perfect!
    Simple but perfect!
    Okay, dramatics aside, it's fine, but I'm surprised I managed to get it like this at all. I had been testing out possible alternate designs on LDD for months, and all of them were these large bulky things that would have been impossible for me to build. Even if this jet mode isn't in scale with a real A-10 Thunderbolt or any of the other BCs, it more than makes up for it with its robot mode, which is very much in scale with the BCs.

The only thing to hate about this front is that arm kibble. It blocks the view of the back of the plane, So I can't see anything. Here, give me a moment.
    DSC_0193.JPG
    There, that's better-whoa.
    I really like this back, guys. It's a bit bulky, but for all the good reasons. You've got all the parts from Powerglide's A-10 backside, and to see how it translates from one mode to the other is brilliant. The A-10's starboard fins act on a single hinge but two jumper plates that allow it to swivel twice: once to convert the thrusters into the fake turbines, and twice to rotate the fins themselves to provide heel-struts for support. It's a really cool idea I came up with, and without it I'd be making it much more complicated than it actually was. I especially like how that second set of engines/turbines became the actual thrusters of the jet. It's interesting to see fake kibble be useful. It's just a shame that the actual engines/turbines were what got obscured by that arm kibble.
    DSC_0194.JPG
    Also, I guess you could say that I should have covered the face by turning the helmet and whatnot, but with the bad experience regarding paint that I have with Kre-O, I'd rather not do that ever. Better yet, it harkens back to the original toy, whose face was very much exposed even in vehicle mode.
    And hey, this figure doesn't look bad when you get him into the air.
    DSC_0195.JPG
    Not bad at all.

Overall, this vehicle mode isn't as good as the robot mode, but the way each part plays into the transformation more than makes up for its losses. This figure was an overall blast to make, and while I didn't grow up with Powerglide from any modern Transformers cartoons, pop-culture osmosis was able to engrain the legacy of his character. He wasn't just one of the few to survive the G1 holocaust that was the Animated Movie, but he had a heartwarming relationship with a human woman (even if it was one-shot), and now I know that his PSA would be one of the more important ones down the ages. Also, his simplistic G1 design made him a must for the BCs, and I had to do just that. I loved working on this figure, no matter how long it took me to figure out a good design. I'm definitely gonna work on it a little more, mainly to add the stickers and maybe something to fill the gap under the wings (where the arms should've been). So one final time, say it with me!
    DSC_0196.JPG
    "And AWAY WE GO!"

Phew! So good to be back after so long.

I can't wait to begin work on the next set of Battle Changers. Y'know guys, I've actually ordered in a new shipment of parts all the way from Cybertron! The customer service rep had this really gravelly voice, it sounded like he was decimating someone's military base, and he was kind of a douche. Nevertheless, he said he'd get the parts to me, so I can get to work more! Weird thing is...they said they were gonna send it by helicopter...

They also gave me the serial number of that helicopter so I could track it. Apparently it's "US Air Force 4500X"
    US...A...F 4500...X...
    4500X?

Oh...
    DSC_0197.JPG
    Oh that can't be good...

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Thatsjustkreo67

News Credits:
    YEAAAAAH

• Like Like x 2
  14. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases…and I am not happy. I was supposed to be getting new parts for more figures…and of course they NEVER CAME. I should have expected just as much when ordering from Decepticons. And it’s all thanks to this twerp, the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Blackout.
    DSC_0198.JPG
    (comes with wing shield, EMP Blaster, and propeller buzzsaw)

No, this does not double as Grindor.

Okay…jokes aside, I absolutely love what I’ve done with him. It’s not meant to be accurate to the movie counterpart, rather being my own take on the character. Also, I used the Studio Series figure as a basis for color, and that figure was mostly gray, hence why he’s so bright. The splashes of green and purple (along with some red) are as a nod to his Animated counterpart, and also a reason for my design choices for him. As Blackout has never had a specific G1 counterpart, the closest I had to a “retro” aesthetic was Animated’s take on the character, which was much more colorful than the hulking mess of parts from the films.
    DSC_0213.JPG
    I feel I should also justify why I wanted to make a figure of him, because Blackout holds a special place in my heart as a Transformers character. As I’ve already said, I was first introduced to TF through the movies (heresy, I know), and in those movies of course, Blackout holds the distinction of being not only the first ‘Con onscreen, but the first Transformer onscreen. His introduction was what not only set the tone of the film, but also showed how much power and destruction these Decepticons had. From annihilating a military base to being shot in the tailpipe, he was a terrifying character through and through, and I loved every moment of him.
    DSC_0199.JPG
    Now let’s talk about the actual figure. The head’s great, if not amazing or perfect. The helmet’s a “repainted” Soundwave helmet which I colored black and silver using Permanent Marker. While that is definitely not going to last, it’ll hold for as long as I need until I get a correctly colored head or some real painting tools. Despite his paint choices, what came out looks great. I managed to color specific areas silver to reference his chevron from the movies, and the areas on the mouth plate make him further resemble his actual face. The eyes are a bit weird, though. They come from the rerelease of the Ramjet Micro changer, whose 2015 rerelease had slanted eyes that made him look nervous. I’m just glad those eyes don’t look too sad to be unfitting.

The torso was also a perfect fit, coming from Seawing. Because this is a figure where I’m unable to do that thing they did for Optimus and what I managed to do for Jazz, there are no fancy helicopter gimmicks on the chest. Regardless, the torso’s decal makes me immediately think of Blackout.

Anyway...
    DSC_0203.JPG
    The figure’s proportions also works with me really well. While I was borrowing from Animated’s color scheme, I was looking to recreate the more slender physique of the movie characters, and Blackout’s body does just that, having less bulky legs to appear more menacing. But at the sides that isn’t exactly true. The size of his calves is pretty long, only serving to work for the transformation.
    DSC_0197.JPG
    Back’s also pretty clean for what it’s doing. While it is a bit unfortunate that it doesn’t have all of its rotors, that being due to complications in vehicle mode. I still feel that this compromise isn’t as bad as others I’ve had to make, otherwise I guess one could see those extra fins at the side as compensation for the missing rotors. On another note, the rotors are on a rotating plate, so their positioning is rather loose. The back flap is what keeps it in place).

Also, if you haven’t figured it out yet, the upper body of this figure is based on the Drift instructions. But that figure itself took cues from Hound, and the only area of evidence relating to Drift is the part that transforms into the front of both vehicle modes. I positioned Blackout’s in a way that it could resemble that giant…thing that Blackout has on his back and over its head in most of his incarnations.

Now, if you know Blackout, then you know about those helicopter parts he has on his chest. Not the windshield, but that infrared sensor and front turret. And this figure…
    …doesn’t have them…

Again, a mixture of the TFA version and the film version, so some parts had to be omitted. Though I did find some compensation with his shoulder-mounted miniguns, which also flip out for some neat poses.
    DSC_0200.JPG DSC_0202.JPG
    It’s also known that Blackout has a secondary propeller he uses as a weapon, which in my version splits into two. The extra wing becomes a shield, and the propeller is a bit…iffy when it attaches as the buzzsaw.

And of course, we can take a look at his gun.
    DSC_0214.JPG
    It's not a bad gun, even if you can't see it from this angle. The Movie and Animated versions each had their own version of their EMP mod. MV Blackout shot it outta his arm, and NM Blackout had an EMP stomp. Here, I went G1 and made it something simple.

Now, this would be the point where I would do some size comparisons with other BCs. I was hoping to finish those BCs and THEN do Blackout, but because he didn’t get me my friggin parts…
    …we have to compromise…

Here’s Battle Changer Swind-hmm...
    DSC_0204.JPG
    Battle Changer Sideswi-nngghhh….
    DSC_0205.JPG
    Ultr-gggghhhrrrr!
    DSC_0206.JPG
    Okay, this isn’t gonna work…

Here’s BC Grimlock
    DSC_0207.JPG
    And BC Starscream
    DSC_0208.JPG
    Yeah, the scale isn’t accurate with Starscream. Sorry.

Anyway, let’s get to that helicopter mode.
    DSC_0209.JPG
    Looks great! I love how I was able to make it look different than Drift’s helicopter mode, and that’s probably thanks to the legs being completely different. The weapons storage looks clean enough, and carries that feeling of dread you’d expect from Blackout.
    DSC_0210.JPG
    Only two partsforming areas are around the feet, where I took off those slabs and reattached them upside down. Speaking of the feet, their position is the reason as to why there are only two rotors, and also why those two rotors look smaller. When spinning, the rotors would keep on interfering or getting in the way of the back. Raising them stud by stud would only make them more prone to falling off. So, I found a way to essentially retract the rotors to make them a little less problematic; they can move inwards from rotating their studs to give the illusion of becoming shorter.
    DSC_0211.JPG
    I also like how I managed to alter the design of Drift to accommodate the new legs. It’s a simple way of connection, and I’m lucky it even worked at all. On another note, I wish I had got decals for Blackout’s legs with the “USAF 4500X” designation, because that would look marvelous. Also, you can see those extra fins from the back placed here. They’re not wheels, but it’s the closest thing this mode has to landing gear, and helps balance the figure when in that mode.
    DSC_0212.JPG
    So that’s it for this showcase, and I’m still mad about this guy duping me! I mean sure, I love him with everything and he looks awesome with the rest of my figures, but I could’ve gotten so many more parts! So many more BCs for you guys, and he just PLAYED ME ALL THE WA-
    DSC_0215.JPG
    Oh...

I...uh...I guess we do have some extra parts…

Okay, no more teasing. We’re gonna do Dinobot Swoop next time. With that, Wave 2 of my customs will be finished, and I’ll have to go on another hiatus (gotta prep those SATs, BOYE!). See you next time.
    DSC_0201.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  15. Thatsjustkreo67

News Credits:
    Very nice! Really excited on Swind-hmmm and Sideswi-nngghhh!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey everyone. This ain't a review, but I'm posting the instructions for the unreleased Battle Changers of Drift and Blitzwing (with permission, I checked) in case anybody wants to build them for themselves. Have fun!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  17. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    Gotta say, you're doing a fantastic job dude. I can tell you put an insane amount of thought into these, and it really shows in your designs and fun little write ups for each of them. Good luck with the rest of those bots waiting on pieces!

• Like Like x 1
  18. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 Clearing out, Buy my stuff!!

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Drift would probably be better as Springer, but they probably just wanted to promote the new movies

• Like Like x 1
  19. Laserhead4

YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome back to my custom Kre-O Battle Changer showcases, and we're going to finish off Phase 2 with a quick one. As teased in the previous one, we're going to take a look at the custom Kre-O Battle Changer Swoop.
    DSC_0216.JPG
    (no accessories)

This has to be both one of my best figures, and my most frustrating. The build I had thought out for this guy was originally going to be based on simonlaw's version, just as I had done with Slug, but a surprising lack of parts had me scrambling for something else until I came up with my own design. Speaking of parts, this character was made with parts from that BC Grimlock that Blackout had brought me. And as you can notice, there are no BC joints being used here, which to me is impressive to say the least. You'll all see what I did with those spare BC joints very soon...
    DSC_0217.JPG
    Anyway, coming back to the funniest of the Dinobots, Swoop's design deviations were a bit off-putting, even to me. But they're the kind of deviations that you can get used to real quickly. I love though what I did with the colors. As fans of G1 know, Swoop sported a blue design contrasted with a good balance of red and gold/yellow. Here, I've got the gold, and I've definitely got the blue, but I got no red...though in my opinion it looks better this way. Where the BC of Grimlock (or my changes to him, anyway) there's a larger focus of grey, while on my figure of Slug there was a focus on red. I'm a sucker for multi-colored corps, and Swoop fulfills the blue quota of my now completed Dinobot collection.
    DSC_0219.JPG
    The head comes from Topspin, whose 2015 torso I used somewhere else, but you'll see where soon. Meanwhile, I tried to best replicate the feel of Swoop's helmet while staying true to what I wanted to create, and I think the red fin on-top with a navy-blue-colored helm fits him perfectly.

Continuing that trend from Powerglide, I've been finding more ways to work around the Kre-O system, and thus here I use the similar arm design I used for our red airborne friend, and just like him, it fits Swoop more than I anticipated. Also, that chest piece, while it's clearly not the front of the beast-mode's head, it is meant to resemble that area greatly. I've been studying the Masterpiece's new take on fake kibble, and as I proved with Powerglide, I'm slowly integrating it here. So far, it looks like a success.

But no amount of TakaraTomy-tutelage can fix those tiny legs. I mean, they work for the purpose of the figure, but there must have been a way to at least make them a little more interesting.
    DSC_0218.JPG
    You can still achieve some dynamic poses, even with the ridiculously tiny legs. Better yet is that it's actually really easy to balance, so it won't fail you just yet. But if you adjust those legs anymore than what they are now...
    DSC_0220.JPG
    Oh...hell...give me a se-AAAAHHHGOD!
    DSC_0221.JPG
    I DIDN'T EVEN FREAKIN' TOUCH IT!

Yeah...behold the ACTUAL aspect of this figure that I'm quite sure I lost a few hairs over...these damn arms are so loose, as is a lot of the build here. The main reason behind that is because the arms are connected to two Kre-O 1x2w1knob, which have an extremely loose connection to LEGO pieces. It's exhausting to handle the figure while making sure he doesn't fall apart five times just to move him 3 feet across the room.
    I guess I was lucky this time because the chest and back pieces also tend to fall off. It got to the point where I had to superglue a few areas just to keep such areas together.
    DSC_0222.JPG
    Otherwise...any other feature I could mention would be that you can flip down the wings to form under-arm cannons, but that's not saying much...

Anyway, let's get to the size comparison. As Swoop is a Dinobot, and thus he transforms into a Pteranodon, I figured we should get a few other Beasty transformers in. Though I'm sure we all know about Grimlock, nonono, I'm talkin' the other Beasties.

Here's Battle Changer Scorponok (based on his Beast Wars/Movie/Aligned counterpart with a G1 deco):
    DSC_0223.JPG
    A WIP Battle Changer Shrapnel/Sharpshot:
    DSC_0224.JPG
    Battle Changer Rhinox (because why not):
    DSC_0225.JPG
    And the head...of Battle Changer Dinobot:
    DSC_0226.JPG
    God, that name gets confusing when talking about that character amidst all this Lightning-Strike Coalition stuff.

Anyway, onto the Pteranodon!
    DSC_0227.JPG
    Whooh! Compared to his robot mode, this is a much better and cleaner alt-mode. The colors are maintained properly, it matches the scale of Grimlock's T-Rex mode (uh...just take my word for it), and while the arms are still a problem, their movement allows for a better grip on the figure. It feels much more solid is what I'm saying.
    DSC_0228.JPG
    Those wings were a bit of an issue for me early on, mainly because there is no set way to position Swoop's wings both in beast mode and robot mode. Initially, a picture of POTP Swoop had me convinced to have his wings look curved, while a pic of FOC showed those wings instead being held in a high upward position. I decided to go with the latter for the robot mode, while the former would be given to the beast mode. DSC_0229.JPG
    As you can see from above, my fake kibble works surprisingly well. Here, you could see it as forming the extended cranium of the Pteranodon, and that actually works to the benefit of the aesthetic I'm looking for. I love it.

Also, I'd be lying if I failed to mention some of the partsforming that happened during the making of these photos. I was having an issue with the way the head was built, so it's built a certain way here (from the head itself to the neck formed by the two clips connected together) that is not accurate to the build of the robot mode. Sorry bout that, and I'll steer clear of that decision next time.

But aside from that, that's it for Swoop. I was introduced to this cocky and streetsmart character through Fall of Cybertron, as I was to a lot of G1 characters. When I looked back into G1 to see how Swoop was there, he wasn't even that. He was basically Grimlock, only that he could fly. To see a character take on such an evolution and an identity of his own was extremely satisfying to know. Hence my decision to immortalize Swoop in my collection.
    DSC_0230.JPG
    And that wraps up Phase 2 of my collections. Next time, we'll be kicking off Phase 3 with a character that I've been trying to make for a long time without redecoing him from another character. I just finished him as I wrote this showcase, and the best part about him? He wasn't listed at all in the rap-sheet that I had created not only way back in Jazz's showcase, but also the personal one I created to keep track of my progress.

Compared to this character, who falls apart if I...breathe on him wrong...this is a solid SOLID figure. He was the biggest challenge I ever bested in this project, and I'm so proud of it.
    DSC_0234.JPG
    Of course I'm keeping it a secret, and it'll be a great surprise too. Let's just say this one'll be a train-stopper!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Thatsjustkreo67

News Credits:
    It’s Astrotrain YES

• Like Like x 2