Minor/Repaint: Custom Impactor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SCORPONOK80, Nov 8, 2012.

1. SCORPONOK80

SCORPONOK80 Well-Known Member

Hi
    here is my first design for Impactor please let me know what you think of him. I swapped megs head for Classics Astrotrain and also modded his cannon and attached a harpoon for his arm.
    The main problems with him at the moment are:
    Paint keeps on chipping off mostly round arm
    His legs went a bit funny as they were already Yellow but aw-well might strip it off
    The biggest problem the paint won't stick to the toy propery at all. I used Tamiya Spray on the entire figure and tamiya paints all water-based. Should I have instead used acrylics or Warhammer?

His head also has problems when in tank mode it won't fit in properly

To finish him off Im going to add some pipe parts for his chest and do a back piece for his tank mode

Attached Files:

2. starscream2525

starscream2525 has a bw dinobot

Pretty nice!

3. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find with spray paint you either need to use Krylon Fusion brand or put a good primer on first and let it completely cure. Also, sand the living hell out of any rub spots. I am working on a Classics hotrod right now and I transformed him a ton to find the rub spots and sanded them down so the paint didn't screw it up, but I am realizing that regardless of how many thin coats you do you are still adding on there and I didn't sand it nearly enough so I've had to go back and sand and sand again. O gave up using sandpaper for it and moved to a file. worked much better.

Outside of that, I enjoy the colour scheme and the head works really well.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excellent. This is a project I'd love to do one day.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I hate painting Transformers... you always end up with issues. This came out nicely though... he definitely looks like Impactor.

What did you use as the base figure, btw? It's funny, because I just bought a G2 Hero Megatron last weekend to make an Impactor like this. In my case, I was planning on swapping parts between the yellow RID Bludgeon repaint, and the purple G2 version, and avoid the painting issue altogether. :) 

Also, are you having trouble fitting the head through the hatch, or is it also too big for the actual cavity in his chest. I've found that you can cut away a bit of plastic around the opening. Also sometimes it helps to turn the replacement head sideways during transformation to get it to fit in the chest cavity. I've done a headswap on this mold for another custom... it IS a surprisingly tight fit!

zmog

6. SCORPONOK80

I was actually funnily enough going to use the G2 Hero Megatron and the legs for RID bludgeon but I accidently scratched off a lot of the Hero megatron and I wanted the purple colours painted on to be the same as I did the waist purple as well. Bad Idea I think.

For the head I used Classics Astrotrain figure and I cut off the ball Joint. For Megs I cut out the neck part that holds the head on and then cut it too size and glued it to the Ball joint. This just now broke will have to find another way to fix it up.

To repair and protect the paint work I will probably use whats left in my spray can. I have tamiya crystal clear coat but this doesn't seem to work well maybe add another layer. My brother says I should just use enamels as they stick better, is that true?

7. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

This is why Hasbro should listen

8. SCORPONOK80

Hasbro never listens...Remember Beast wars botcon cyclonus and whatever his original figure was? paint comes right of his chest.

9. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This is awesome!!! HASBRO!!!! .

10. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    Awesome take on the character. Looks like it popped out of the marvel comics!

11. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

I wasn't at BotCon 2002

I didn't know about BotCon at that time cause I was a kid then

12. SCORPONOK80

Thanks alot I plan to make another one once I resolve his head/paint problem, I am open to any suggestions here this is the most difficult part.

Then sell it on EBay in Time for X-mas!!!