Minor/Repaint: Custom G1 WFC Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Mimmers, Mar 2, 2023.

1. electronicosmosis

electronicosmosis E L E C T R O N I C O S M O S I S

So I've got a dumb question for you. The bicep pieces you switched out SEEM to be the same size; am I correct in understanding they actually are the same piece molded in a different color, and therefore the Earthrise mold DOES in fact still transform properly with the new parts?.....

2. Mimmers

Mimmers Well-Known Member

You are correct! The bicep used in the Siege and Earthrise figure use the exact same mould, just for some asinine reason Hasbro decided to cast it in grey plastic for Earthrise even though they already got it right on Siege, and for an even more asinine reason they shifted onto using pins instead of screws so while the bicep was easy to remove on the Siege figure it is borderline impossible to remove from the Earthrise figure without destroying the grey biceps and otherwise damaging the plastic. I got lucky in that most of the damage that was done to my ER figure's arms is pretty well hidden so it doesn't really show at all, but the right elbow got definitely messed up while I did the bicep swap though thankfully the bicep itself obscures most of the damage pretty well.

You're probably better off just painting the biceps on the ER figure red if that's something you're into. But yes, the biceps use identical tooling and the transformation remains unaffected.

• Like Like x 1
  3. electronicosmosis

I DESPISE these PINS!! 100% agree.

So... I realize I'm asking for a verbal description of something that would probably be better shown in pictures or video. But - like, HOW did you go about getting the Earthrise arms apart? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Like, what shape are the pins, what direction, what do the internal connections look like... you know. I, too, really wish they'd made it easier to exchange parts.

4. Mimmers

Decided to go downtown to pick up some acrylic model paints and do a bit of painting on my Optimus Prime!

20230315_144248.jpg 20230315_144340.jpg
    After the shoulder swap 2 days ago, the shoulder joints on Optimus were mismatching now since one of them was grey and the other dark blue. They also didn't look great on truck mode, they really stood out in a bad way so I figured I'd knock 2 birds with one stone and paint the shoulder joints red! It helps make the arms look like a more cohesive unit, and the shoulder areas doesn't stand out in truck mode as much :D 

I used Vallejo 947 dark vermillion for the shoulders, its not an exact match to the shade of plastic on Prime but it blends in well enough that its really hard to tell unless you're really up close! To further mask it I also painted the tops of the shoulder pieces themselves that color so they blend in even better.

20230316_142426.jpg 20230316_160443.jpg 20230316_175719.jpg

I also picked up some Vallejo 930 dark blue and decided to do the blue detailing on Prime's crotch/waist! I was going to do just the front, but after looking at Prime's G1 animation model and noticing that the moulded detailing seemed to extend all the way to the back of the waist I decided to go whole hog and paint that whole section. Took a bit of precision and care, but it came out really nicely!

20230316_182731.jpg 20230316_182812.jpg 20230316_182934.jpg
    Lastly I ended up cutting off the curved ends of Prime's gas tanks for a bit cleaner look in truck mode. Didn't come out too badly, just need to cover the cuts with a silver sharpie and he should be good to go!

Here's how Prime as a whole is looking now, super proud of how far this project has come :) 

20230316_175525.jpg 20230316_175604.jpg 20230315_151551.jpg 20230316_182717.jpg 20230316_182728.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  5. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic. :thumb  I was content with leaving the top of the shoulders the default color on mine but seeing yours I kinda want to paint them now. I really like how much they blend in in alt mode.

• Like Like x 2
  6. electronicosmosis

Remind me, did you remove the silver stripe on the cab mode or simply paint over it with that vermilion? o_O 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mimmers

I used 91% isopropyl alcohol, also commonly referred to as rubbing alcohol. I dipped some cotton swabs into a small glass I had poured the alcohol into, and then just rubbed away slowly, carefully and diligently until the paint came off.

It was an arduous and time-consuming process but I am very pleased with the end result :) 

Thanks! I ended up actually going one step further later on and also painted Prime's back red, since the front was looking so nice and cohesive and the back was a mess of red and dark grey. The paint might chip at some point, but for the time being it looks really nice to me!

20230316_232729.jpg 20230316_233617.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Well-Known Member

You could seal the paint with either Future or a clear spray depending on it you want it flat or gloss if you're worried about paint damage/chipping.

I'm surprised the 91% took that long. With 70, yeah you really have to work at it but 91 usually does most of the job for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mimmers

Been a while since I've gotten to update this custom! In between my last update and now, the Volvo VNR Optimus Prime was released, which came with two notable features: the most cartoon-accurate head sculpt we've ever seen for a CHUG Optimus Prime, and a much improved deco for the Earthrise trailer.

20230823_100346.jpg 20230823_100801.jpg 20230823_101531.jpg 20230823_101537.jpg 20230823_101815.jpg

That head sculpt truly is a big improvement over the Siege and Earthrise heads, which I already thought looked pretty great! Let's see how the swap goes.

20230823_102546.jpg

Popping the head off the VNR Prime was thankfully just as simple as Siege and Earthrise, just a simple twisting them off the ball joint. Here's hoping popping them back in on the opposite bodies works too!

20230823_102942.jpg
    And thankfully, it does! The ball joints are very slightly different sizes, so the VNR head is slightly too tight on the Earthrise neck, while the Siege head is a little loose on the VNR neck. Thankfully the head articulation is still fully functional, and I can sand down the ball joint a little in the future if I want to.

For now though, I am going to admire the new head because DAMN:

20230823_103006.jpg 20230823_103019.jpg

The sculpt is absolutely marvellous, so reminiscient of Optimus' G1 cartoon model! The eyes are so visible and pop in an awesome way, and even the color matches for the most part. It's slightly darker than the Siege head, but it actually matches pretty well with the Earthrise hands and the Siege legs so I won't need to do any repainting.

Best of all, the transformation still works for the most part! The roof won't fully tab in in truck mode because the VNR head is slightly larger than the Siege one, but otherwise the truck mode works just as well as before.
    20230823_105616.jpg 20230823_105453.jpg 20230823_105502.jpg
    It's amazing how just a simple change in deco for the stripe and fenders can do so much to improve the look of the trailer in my eyes: It might still be too small, but it doesn't feel as comically undersized as the stock ER trailer did. Might get the Nonnef upgrades for it to deck it out further, we'll see!

However during the interim between my last update and this head swap, a little accident happened: I wanted to split apart one of the thighs on Siege Optimus to see if I could do some further work on the legs. I thought it'd be as simple as removing the screw in the back, but unfortunatley Hasbro hadn't made it quite that easy for me and had seemingly glued it shut. I did my best to pry the two halves apart with a flathead screwdriver, but unfortunately the process ended up chewing off some of the plastic, leaving an unsightly hole as well as making it so that the two halves don't stick in fully anymore.

20230823_101828.jpg
    Thankfully it'll be an easy fix, just need to buy another copy of Siege Optimus, but I've decided to take an alternative approach inspired more by MP-44. The 35th Anniversary version of Siege Optimus, alongside the cel-shading, features a more cartoon accurate deco, including the white waist and thighs as well as the blue detailing on the crotch. Once it arrives I'm gonna see if I can remove the few bits of cel-shading from the thighs with isopropyl alcohol, and then swap the current clean Siege thighs on my custom with the white ones from the 35th Optimus!

• Like Like x 11
  10. Incedius

Incedius Well-Known Member

Really enjoying the step by step as well as all the thought that went into this custom.

Finding an issue and persistently tackling it one at a time is honestly a joy. Thanks for sharing this experience :) 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mimmers

35th anniversary toon deco Optimus arrived today!

20230906_165338.jpg 20230906_165726.jpg 20230906_170744.jpg 20230906_170757.jpg 20230906_165901.jpg

He is really nice, the colors and the deco make him pop so much and I especially love the windows! I briefly played with the idea of using this as my G1 Optimus, but with how much time and effort I've put into my custom and how this still has the Siege kibble and alt mode I shelved that plan. He's a cool figure though, would recommend picking him up if you find him at a good price :) 

20230906_165810.jpg
    The blues are definitely much lighter than the Siege/VNR Optimus, I figured that'd be the case but I didn't realize they'd be so much lighter! I had toyed with the idea of using the feet from this Optimus because I like the orange and yellow detailing in the toes, but they'd stick out too much for my liking so I'll let them be.

Now then, onto the pants!

20230906_173542.jpg 20230906_181453.jpg

The cel-shading on the thighs was thankfully limited to the front and on one side each, which made the removal easier. The cel-shaded paint seems to be the same kind as the battle damage on regular Siege figures so rubbing alcohol got rid of it pretty well, there's slight bits of residue left but I'll do some touchups at a later date, for the time being they don't bother me :D 

20230906_182823.jpg

Here are the Siege legs with the white thighs, looking awesome already!

And now, the big one. The finished custom:
    20230906_183243.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

This turned out so much better than I ever could have even dreamed of! I was scared that I wouldn't be able to make the thighs work somehow, but they just blend in perfectly for that G1 cartoon look! I know the color of Optimus' thighs are a little bit polarizing, but personally I've always preferred the white thighs in terms of looks and aesthetics so this is a dream come true for me :D 

I quite like the white waist while keeping the ab grill and stripe silver, makes them both stand out from one another and not blend in too much. I wasn't able to remove the cel-shading from the blue and yellow detailing on the waist for obvious reasons, but I don't mind them: I'm probably going to be painting over the blue part to get the same blue stripe detailing I did on the Siege waist where it goes all the way around, and on the yellow bits it kind of makes them look like they're lighting up and I like that :) 

20230906_183736.jpg 20230906_183427.jpg 20230906_183502.jpg 20230906_183633.jpg

He looks so good now with the Ion Blaster and the Energon axe, I genuinely cannot think of any more improvements I could possibly make! I'm going to be leaving the grills on the legs gray, as I've always quite liked that MP-1 esque detail since it breaks up the color of the legs a little and makes them look less bland compared to the all-blue legs from the cartoon!

20230906_183914.jpg

My custom Optimus and Megatron, these two have earned their spots in my collection! I still hope we'll be getting Studio Series 86 versions of these two, but I'll never be parting from these customs as I've put so much time and effort into them and I want to keep them around, I've grown quite attached to them over these past several months of having them.

Oh and for anyone worried about the 35th Optimus, I actually managed to salvage him for the most part:
    20230906_185654.jpg

The waist doesn't necessarily match the rest of the body due to the lack of cel-shading, but I think its fine and at least I've got a Siege Optimus in my collection now so I'm happy how things worked out here :D 

• Like Like x 13
  12. Yeo Chong Kiat

Yeo Chong Kiat Well-Known Member

Great work and single minded dedication in pursuit of the definitive non-MP G1 prime. And gosh, you did it! And there I was, just merely painting my ER prime's waist/thighs white and thinking thats good enough,.... Not.

And thanks for the comparison review between siege and earthrise prime.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Oktiduz

Oktiduz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Can't believe I've never come across this thread before, but it's amazing how much work you put into getting a great CHUG Optimus. Like, how many Siege/ER Primes did you buy and altered!? Man, and I thought I was the biggest Optimus simp :D 

All these mods really do improve the figure by a mile, and they really show (at least to me) what we could have gotten instead of what we actually got. Tbh, I never liked the ER mold, but with your custom work, it looks amazing!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mimmers

Thank you so much for your kind words everyone, I really appreciate them! :) 

To give you a rundown, it took a total of 5 Primes to make this happen, though one of them was only because of a piece I accidentally broke on another figure.
    • ER/Kingdom Optimus Prime for the torso and arms
    • Siege Optimus Prime for the lower legs and red biceps (originally also the head, waist and thighs with the battle damage removed)
    • Netflix Optimus Prime for the left shoulder, because the one on my Kingdom Prime broke when I was doing the bicep swap
    • Volvo VNR Optimus Prime for the head sculpt as well as the much nicer-looking trailer
    • 35th Anniversary cel-shaded Optimus Prime for the white waist and thighs, with the cel-shading removed
    I must also note that the last 3 figures I was actually able to salvage by swapping in parts from the custom as it went along so I still have Netflix, VNR and 35th Prime in my collection, with slightly different parts so it wasn't a total waste! And this way I can have the Siege mold, the ER mold and my custom in my collection at the same time! :D 

• Like Like x 3
  15. ipmj2

ipmj2 Well-Known Member

Beautiful work! God bless you and yours!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Evertransformin

Evertransformin Well-Known Member

Nicely done!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Are the rear wheel covers next? Or no plans to remove them?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dremen_Solo

Dremen_Solo Well-Known Member

That is some incredible work! Great job!

• Like Like x 2
  19. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Looking kind of perfect love the anniversary legs on er. I have a similar set up with my optimus er/SIEGE. Just a heads-up lol the tenseg Takara mp optimus has a pretty dam sweet head sculpt

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  20. martin entero shoro

martin entero shoro ES Twitch enthusiast

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Not gonna lie, if the earthrise prime had square windows (like MP44, TE-01, NA David) it would be the best official rendition of G1 prime. This custom only makes this figure look better and the use of the VNR Prime headsculpt was genious. Really like the white lower body.

• Like Like x 2