Minor/Repaint: custom classic menasor / stunticons

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by xaviercal, Apr 14, 2009.

1. xaviercal

xaviercal Customizer/ Store Owner

Transformers Customs Menasor and the Stunticons Classic...
    Made from classic transformers and cybertron prime!!!!

7. No Website Advertising
    Any posts or threads to promote a website or store, Transformers related or not, will be removed. You may place a link in your signature. The more you contribute to threads, the more exposure your site will get.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

This is very nice. I like that you engineered this without Primus/Unicron parts (not that those are bad). I would give him better feet though.

Any chance we could get some shots of the back as well?

3. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Its good to see a somewhat different take on this project, like Satomi said. Only gripe is the fist attachments. They look a little "fragile". Other than that, solid modes all around!

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Yea, I'd trim the size of those pegs so they don't appear to be dangling.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    This is absolutely beautiful! I love the leg transformation, very very well executed. I do agree the hand on Dragstrip needs to be adjusted a bit so it's closer to the body.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I really like this. Can't say it enough.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Good stuff! I was planning on going a similar way with a Menasor project (minimal add-on parts) and it's nice to see someone pull it off. I agree about the fist connections... they look a little weak, but I really like the legs.

Also, it's very G1-accurate (both to the toy and the animation model), but I'm thinking you could re-think the arm modes to get much more poseable arms out of it... some elbow and bicep articulation, etc..

zmog

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This is easily one of my favorite custom combiners I've seen on here. While others may be more accurate or articulate or whatever, this one is great because of the simple, single fact that it's almost entirely self contained. I always hated the partsforming aspect of combiners, especially those like Devastator where you couldn't even stand him up without excess extra pieces that have no use outside of combined mode. But with this guy, it looks like the only external parts are the hands. All the other parts are formed mainly from the cars themselves to the point that without them there would be no robot.

And I personally think the way you did the feet was a real nice touch.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It'd be cool if the limbs were 100% interchangeable as with the original toy.

10. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Very nice take on him, bro. I would have liked to see a bigger sword, but I'm a bit violent. :lol 

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    It's ironic how I get chewed out...nevermind, I'll stop there :) 

I like it though
    Some comments. I think the legs kinda work, though the cars look like and are essentially "armor" on motormaster's limbs. The paint apps are a little too "vibrant" for my taste (especially the yellow) All in all, it's good to see you customs making appearances.

I see your point of view, but I still would prefer better proportions and a much more solid looking gestalt. I realize some of the harder edged critiques are very anti-extra-parts, but alas - I think it looks better. Seeing this is on ebay, I will definitely stray away from those extra parts if I see it do well ;) 

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

To be fair, dude... every time you see someone express satisfaction over self-contained combiners, you shouldn't interpret it as an attack on your problem-solving skills or livelihood. Not to say you flip out... you take it in stride, but it's not always about you. :) 

Some of us just hate extraneous parts-forming, and always have. Back in the day, Puzzler blew my mind due to the fact that the entire combined robot was self-contained in the components. Sure, sometimes you can achieve better proportions through adding parts, but that could be seen as taking an easy route, and disrupting the transformable integrity of the object. Making a decent-looking self-contained combiner is an achievement in of itself.

Meanwhile, following the parts-forming/better-looking logic to the Nth degree ends with you swapping a scale model car with a Gundam. Why even bother having a car that transforms if it's easier and looks better as a robot just to replace the entire toy with a fully-formed robot? ;) 

I'm kidding mostly. I didn't mean to turn this thread into a debating ground. I know sometimes people DO take shots at your work... and also I think you do phenomenal kitbashing. Your philosophy is different than my ideal, but that doesn't take away from the great-looking work you do. I just notice that you always jump into to defend your parts-forming approach, and in doing so you may be neglecting the fact that in terms of engineering/innovating, there may be another path that can be considered just as (or more) rewarding.

The OBJECT is the thing, not just the way it looks, but the whole of it. There's something about the integral transformer that feels like a chunk of primal, perfect material... y'know?

Anyway... enough of me. :D 

zmog

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Well, if it's "OK" to disagree or discuss parts forming combiners on their respective threads, it should be equally "OK" to disagree with self contained combiners on their respective threads (e.g. this one)

It wasn't personal at all, I prefer (and always will) using extra parts to give what I think is a better overall look to the gestalt's combined form, simply stating this combiner (in my opinion) would have looked more solid with those extra parts. It's my artistic perspective, it's not attacking nor defending anything.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  14. StuntPrime35

StuntPrime35 Dreads for life

News Credits:
    good man! Glad to see someone has found the art of "non-neccesary" Primus/Unicron bits!

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Who here likes Transformers?

16. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I like Transformers Satomi!

I really like this custom. I think I'll echo what most people here have said.

I'm a little uncertain about the proportions, but mostly because I feel like all of the pictures were taken at different perspective angles, we don't have one "straight on" that helps me get around how the proportions look. From what I see they look more or less fine though.

I agree that it would be nice if you could do something to give him elbows, but the lack of elbows is very G1ish. Hands are maybe a tad small, but they don't look bad.

Can we get any close up shots of the head? I wanna see what you did there. :p 

Definitely keep up the good work!

17. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I like this take, it shows that both sides of the argument can have compromises.

I do wish it had a bit more arm articulation, but I do like that it doesn't have add on forearms.

I think the integrated lower legs/feet look real cool! I also agree the wrists could use some reevaluation, but to me the real culprit is the hands, they seem small when considering the girth of the arms.

Almost seems to me they need Energon/Superlink sized mitts, to complement the massive arms.

The paint is crisp and vivid, very satisfying to me.:thumbs2: 

Overall this is a winner for sure! great job!:thumb  That's my :2c: , and since it's tax day, trhat's about all i have left!

18. xaviercal

xaviercal Customizer/ Store Owner

I posted this thread in the morning, First of thanks for all your feedbacks!!!! Sorry I missed all your points of views but what I notice everybody here have valid points. To put it as simple as possible when I was creating this custom, I wanted to be a tribute to G1 MENASOR TOY. I wanted the custom to have the least amount of extra parts as possible, and be a simple combiner for anyone to put together :)  To have the same simplicity as the toy. As for the request for more additional picture they are on they way. I still have to keep my day job :)  sad but true!!!!

PS All points of views are most welcome…

19. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    I really dig this classic look. Very much like the original cartoon where his arms/leg were the cars. I like the way you handled the feet, but I agree that something could be added, even if for color sake. Give him some sneakers!!!

Regardless, great job. As said earlier, nice to see a combiner w/ out Unicron parts, just to see the aesthetic.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I still think he needs more defined feet.