Cubex Guns Crisis

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by sideswipe29, Jun 3, 2014.

1. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hello, my story is fairly long so I'll try to condense it.

*Whenever I say "left" I mean when Prime's back is facing you. See pictures.*

Back in December 2013 I received the Cubex gun set for Christmas. I read the threats about the connectors being too wide for the slots which caused stressing on the plastic beforehand so when I started putting the kit on my OP I sanded down the left connector (I didn't do anything to the right one). With my inexperience (I was 15 then, only 16 now) I sanded too much and now the connector is floppy and the gun is only held on by friction making handling the figure a real pain. The gun stays attached but one small bump and it's off.

So, my main purpose in this thread is to ask those of you who have this kit if the left gun was always held on by friction or if I sanded off some sort of tab. And if any of you have tips on how to make the connector less floppy and keep the gun in place I'd really appreciate it. I really don't want to shell out another 30 bucks just for another connector (And pulling the pins out the first time was stressful enough.)

I bring this up now because I want the FWI-4 Jetwing kit and fear that my loose gun will make it difficult to put the jetpack on my OP.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I don't have the Cubex guns, but I checked my DotM Jetwing Prime it does look like you sanded off a sort of a tab. Maybe you could try supergluing a little plastic bit there or something...

3. Dr. Killinger

Dr. Killinger Plastic Surgeon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeh superglue for sure.

4. sideswipe29

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Are you guys suggesting I Superglue a tab on to secure the fun or use super glue you make the connector less floppy?

5. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I saw "Cubex Crisis Guns" and was like, oooh! Those sound ill....

6. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

The existing Cubex guns are already pretty badass. Flaws in the easily fixed strength of the tabs aside.

7. autotronprime

autotronprime I like to make cool things!

News Credits:
    Use some future floor wax . I try to avoid super glue. Just my opinion.

8. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'd say super glue a tiny piece of plastic on to replace the tab.
    For making it less floppy, use Future Floor polish. (You can check the Radicon Tutorial section for details...)

9. sideswipe29

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just a quick update. After thinking things over I opted to leave the groove alone and not bother with adding a plastic tab to make the gun more secure. I felt that the floppy connection was more of an annoyance and was the main cause of the gun popping off in the first place.

At first, I tried making the hole the pin goes through narrower so it would spin less freely. This didn't work. So, my idea was to go back on what I had done in the first place. Since I sanded plastic off the top of the connector piece, I needed to add more plastic in order to make the connection stronger. I took a very thin piece of plastic, cut it to fit onto the connector, glued it down and poked a hole into it. I also added a layer of super glue on the opposite side to make things even. Upon putting the pin in the results were phenomenal! No more floppy connection. I will have to go back and paint the connector. The glue rubbed the paint off and the white plastic is a little bit of an eye sore. I may also go back at some point and add a tab to make the gun more stable or use some other method but for now this is a great result and I'm quiet pleased. Thanks to all of you who helped me out.

Attached Files: