Minor/Repaint: Crosshairs backpack mod and clear rear window

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bumblebee bug 1, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Bumblebee bug 1

Bumblebee bug 1 Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The panel on Crosshairs' back is actually made of clear plastic, so I rubbed away some of the paint in order to make his rear window and quarter windows actually transparent. Oddly, there is paint on both the inside and the outside of the panel. I can't understand why Hasbro did that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also trimmed the roof at the point where it meets the windshield in order to let it move freely on the hinge without worrying about cracking the plastic.

[​IMG]

Although it isn't a mod, I've found that his rear wheels can bend 45 degrees further than the instructions say. This allows you to bend the pieces on his shoulders further down, which allows for more shoulder movement. I've also done some detailing around his eyes with a Sharpie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! I can add more photos if necessary.

Attached Files:

2. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 SKREEEEEEEOONK

Nice job on the rear windshield.

I just wanna say, is it just me, or is the windshield on my crosshairs not even an issue? It bends at the hinge just fine, and doesn't even pop or anything. And no, it's not loose, either.

3. MovieGodOptimus

MovieGodOptimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please show me how you fixed that joint!

4. Bumblebee bug 1

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks! That is a bit odd that yours didn't have the same issue with the windshield. Quality control, perhaps? Mine was so tight it made a very significant click when I folded it out backwards. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Which joint do you mean? If you mean the roof joint, you just use a knife or a scissors to shave off about a millimeter from the edge of the roof where it meets the windshield.

5. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 F.T.C

News Credits:
    Great idea! What paint remover type and brand did you use to attack the back window areas? I successfully removed the black at the rear lights area, but failed to do so on the back window area as you have. Please let me know, thanks!

6. Bumblebee bug 1

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Any type of rubbing alcohol should work. The one I used was a Target brand found in one of the medicine aisles. The back window area has paint on both the outside AND the inside. Try using a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol on the inside of the window, that should do the trick.

Also, I hadn't thought of doing this on the taillights before. Thanks for the idea, I may have to do that next! :thumb 

7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here - after watching reviews I was terrified that it'd be as scary as ROTF Skids/Mudflap's backpacks were, but my figure was fine the 1st time I tried to move it...

...go figure...

8. flix

flix Well-Known Member

Isopropyl should be the safest bet as it doesnt damage the plastic and dissolves paint very fast.
    Some paint removers will actually damage the surface , decreasing the transparency of your windows or altering the color of the plasic.
    if you are using a product you dont know , it's best to test it first

9. venomtheporky

venomtheporky New Member

Nope, mine is fine aswell. I was expecting to be scared when I bent it back but it was fine.

10. Bumblebee bug 1

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That is peculiar. Mine was much scarier than ROTF Skids and Mudflap, and I noticed stress marks after the first couple times I transformed him.

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Mine was good too...
    Good call on moving the wheels back further. I did the same and allows much more freedom for his arms...

12. Bumblebee bug 1

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Quick update: Using the same technique as before (rubbing alcohol and a q-tip) I've made the taillights transparent as well. I also added some red by using a Sharpie. Thanks to eltonlin98 for the idea!

[​IMG]

13. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Must be a running change then - like how I heard they added a pin to TFP RID Bulkhead's tire flaps...

14. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Wait... you added red by using a silver sharpie? Was that a typo or can you explain this sorcery? I've been meaning to do this, too, and your idea sounds like a good one.

15. Bumblebee bug 1

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haha, yeah that's a typo. :eek: