Cross Sells

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Preach Starscream, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Anybody else miss cross sells on the back of the packaging?

One of my favorite things about buying a toy was looking at the back to see what else was out there or coming up. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles packaging was great with this, but so was Transformers.

Seems like it's gone out of fashion lately, which is a real shame.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Legion9186

Legion9186 Well-Known Member

Haha it used to be awesome, I remember that it was a headache for my parents when they bought me a new TF just for me to look at the back of the package and say "now I need these other 3 to complete the set"

• Like Like x 4
  3. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

I do. I like seeing what other figures I'm missing out on. I noticed this trend a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    They have no purpose when waves are so small, price point availability so inconsistent, and shelves so bare.

I mean, really, when your entire TF selection for eight months is a banged up Ironworks and three of those foam evergreen statues, WTF would a cross sell showing leaders or even other deluxes accomplish?

• Like Like x 6
  5. Preach Starscream

Even when I couldn't find the cross sells in stores, I still enjoyed looking at the pictures. It was fun.

Same here. "Look, mom! There's 4 ninja turtles!"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

True story bro. You made me just realize that the WFC line only has a few unique mold and many many repaints and retools. I miss the days that each wave had 12 different molds.

7. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

Marvel legends, McFarlane DC and Star Wars vintage collection all still do this.

yeah I wouldn’t mind if Transformers did it too. But I throw the boxes out so it wouldn’t matter a huge amount to me. And I don’t need the boxes to tell me what else is out in the wave.

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In 2009, Hasbro told me they were going to give me Mercenary Swindle, Vortex Blurr, Fugitive Waspinator, Toxic Oil Slick, Mudbuster Bulkhead, Hot Shot and frigging Thundercracker. They showed me pictures in a cross-sell like you describe. They told me they were coming.

They didn't. And a part of me has never forgiven them.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Smokie

Smokie Lil Ice NL

News Credits:
    Was this the TFA toyline? If so those prob got canned along with S4.

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it was, and yes they were. It's part of the reason I don't care if cross-sells never come back.

• Like Like x 1
  11. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Pack in catalogs seem like an easy solution... not sure why they don't do that anymore, was Energon the last time? (can't recall if Cybertron had them...oh, I think it did, with the Cyber-planet maps or something???)

But a catalog could showcase most of your years releases, especially things like Selects that aren't available at mass-market retail and cross sell your other offerings (bot bots, Cybererse, etc)

• Like Like x 2
  12. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

I will say that cross-sales on the back of the box were cool. Especially when at least 2/3 were easily available at retail. As was mentioned above, they lost purpose once distribution went to hell. But I do like the idea of pack in catalogs. Gotten a few old UT figures MIB and they are quite a joy to look through. So much cool stuff back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don’t care about those, but I DO miss the yearly checklists. As a kid, those were like finding gold when you got a new one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Toy Connections

News Credits:
    1984 had 5 repaints padding out the wave. 1985 had 8 retools.

I think CW was peak repaint, and while WFC has had a lot of repaints and retools, they do mostly seem decently planned ahead of time.

I don't really have a point to make other than every purchase is optional and repaints have been there from the start.

When you look at Action Masters, Pretenders, Micro Masters, you can't help thinking maybe if they'd made a few more repaints and a few less original molds maybe the line would have been more profitable and Transformers maybe wouldn't have been canned in the US.

To the OP, yeah, I massively miss cross-sell on the packaging. The easter eggs on the WFC packaging has been fun but I'd love a "collect all these" on the back of boxes. Star Wars will always be peak cross-sell.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Preach Starscream

I'd love some of those too. It's nice to be able to scroll through pictures online or on our phones, but there's just something more real about holding the packaging or catalogue in your hands.

16. jmagnus83

jmagnus83 Well-Known Member

I feel like Hasbro’s push to cut costs across the board on ancillary items (packaging, instructions) kinda killed extensive cross-sells. You can only fit so much on a piece of packaging.

I would love checklists and/or catalogs but the fluctuating nature of most lines (waves changing, figures being cancelled) makes it hard. I’d honestly love a card or insert with pictures of the figures available in the 4 main size classes (core, deluxe, voyager and leader). Trying to keep the waves together so deluxe wave 2 with voyager wave 2 etc. the problem is that it costs money to design and print those and adds to the package shipping cost.

from a parent perspective my wife and i generally buy our kids toys online based on what they like. My kids like Peppa and Sesame Street and Disney stuff. So we go to Amazon and order. So cross sells don’t matter in that case. We toss the packaging after we open the toy because already have enough mess.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2