Creating a Transformers Fan Game

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Octoblitz, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Octoblitz

Octoblitz ow. my foot.

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hi there! I'm new here so I dunno if this is the right place to post this, however I am currently planning on working on a fangame in the same light as War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron video games, with gameplay like the original Star Wars Battlefront titles (where you can play as franchise favorites alongside player created characters). I'm currently working on a design document for the game so I may have an idea of what I want to do going forward, so if you guys want to see what Ideas I have for it or have any suggestions going forward, please let me know in this thread and hopefully I can get this ambitious project of mine off the ground!

While I work-up the design document, here's a few things I plan on doing with this game:

This will be a team based shooter that will be a celebration of the history of Transformers with game play taking inspiration from the Original Battlefront 2, Team Fortress 2, and finally Transformers WoC & FoC where matches are made up at least 24 players on a basic server with player counts reaching 32 on larger maps or servers that allow for a higher player count. Each map will have its own game mode and set of objectives for each team.

Every player will be able to pick between 4 classes including scouts, soldiers, medics, and tanks who are all triple changers able to swap between all 3 modes with ease, and each player can customize their class with a variety of cosmetics and weapons, all of which you can unlock by completing specific challenges (inspired by Doom 2016's progression mechanics) or you may bypass by using energon cubes gained after completing challenges and playing in matches.

Characters other than the player made cybertronians are able to be selected after gaining enough points during the match, with some characters like Bumblebee and Starscream costing less points to play than Optimus Prime and Megatron. The characters I have planned will occupy a different class, with Bumblebee being a scout, Starscream being a Soldier, Ratchet and Shockwave being medics, Blitzwing as a tank, and Optimus Prime and Megatron being their own separate called dubbed "Leaders" who are able to deploy a morale boost to all surrounding players (i.e faster movement speed as well as higher accuracy with weapons). I am also hoping to not just add one version of the characters elusive to this game, but characters from each and every series of the transformers from Generation 1 to Prime and even the Michael bay films with their own stats and abilities unlocked with the aforementioned challenge system.

If you guys have any feedback on these concepts, please let me know and I'll respond as soon as I can!

(edit1: included some concepts for feedback, will post further updates and ideas in replies)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

Sounds cool enough
    But I think "soldier" could be replaced with "warrior"...? It sounds cooler. Starscream being a soldier just doesn't sound right

• Like Like x 2
  3. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Seems like a big endeavor, do you need any help with that? I specialize in level design.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Octoblitz

Octoblitz ow. my foot.

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Right now I am just trying to get the base game in a playable state with all the bells and whistles ready to go, might post an update calling for level designers later on though.

As for the soldier role, I came up with it on the spot at the time, Warrior has a really nice ring to it though, I'll keep that in mind!

5. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Well you have my profile, message me when you need help.

6. SneakyBeaky1234

SneakyBeaky1234 Member

Can't wait, it sounds amazing.

7. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    If you need any help with the conceptual phase, I'm open.

8. Waveblast

Waveblast Member

Is this going to be more G1 themed WFC themed (aesthetically)

9. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

OP - first of all, this sounds like a wonderful and ambitious project. Best of luck with it.

Some off-the-cuff feedback:

I particularly like the idea of having a set of objectives. My least favourite thing in team shooters is everyone crowded around one space.

My personal preference would be for having different characters to play as over customisable classes. The reason for this is that it can get very hard to know how to counter another player if they could have any number of different weapons or attachments. Part of the reason I found it harder to maintain interest in TF2 was because the classes ended up with so many add-ons that were designed to swap out advantages and weaknesses. With team shooters, I prefer it if everyone has different roles that are signalled by the class or character they choose.

I'm less keen on the Star Wars Battlefront hero system, if I'm honest. Again, my personal preference, for what it's worth, is for characters to be selectable from the start and to be balanced against one another, rather than there being a small pool of characters with higher stats that people are competing to play as. Points systems, I've found, discourage players from tactically useful behaviours which can't be easily quantified - like protecting a weaker unit or medic, or area denial. What you don't want is people fighting over kills or point-capping.

I realise, though, that it's a heck of a lot of work to design and balance a whole bunch of characters.

Hope that is somehow useful to you. Good luck!