Could there be more Marvel Games?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rattrap Primal, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

With Avengers coming out next year, could we get more PS 4/ XBOX One Marvel Games similar to Avengers (or even tied to), like Fantastic Four, X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy?

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

There isn't anything on the rumour mill about any other AAA Marvel games being in production at the moment and anything that starts now likely won't be out until like 2022, so at best anything else on PS4/XBO will be a cross gen game running on potato settings.

3. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

They could make a alternative to ultimate alliance because the last was sucks.

4. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After the success of Arkham and Spider-Man, it's really hard to make a Marvel game using the Arkham set-up.
    I mean who's Marvel A-lister character deserves such game.

If they want to push for Iron Man and Captain America, it shouldn't be like Spider-Man or Arkham.
    They need to make a game level design tailor fit with Iron Man and Captain America's set of moves or how they move and think in real life.

The best bet we can have is either a fighting game or a party game.
    But for a Narrative-driven Solo hero game? NONE. They can try pushing for a WOLVERINE game or a new DEADPOOL game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gil

gil Godmaster

I’ll buy a current gen version of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we've been seeing developers slowing down a lot on licensed games because of how freaking expensive it is creating HD assets. They're not willing anymore to go through all that work, and then having to pay up a good portion of their profits to the licensors after it all. Or worse, such as the case with Activision's back-catalogue, being unable to continue selling the games when the license is not renewed. Better off putting all that effort into IPs that you own, and reap full benefits from the end result.

Most of the license attention seems to be going into cheap mobile games instead, which can leverage the publicity of a well-known IP and make money hand-over-foot with predatory pay-to-win mechanics, with comparatively little investment.

7. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy There's no power, greater than X.

Marvel games always been hit or miss. For every Ultimate Spider-Man, you got an Amazing Spider-Man 2. Although their characters had easier transitions to gaming than DC.
    Marvel has released a game on pretty much every console, and while it slowed down in recent years and some of the games aren't good (except Spider-Man and the Lego games) I think Marvel should start licensing their characters again. Alot of their characters have good video game potential, like Iron Man, Daredevil, etc could have good video games if given to the right people.
    The best Marvel games are:
    • X-Men Origins Wolverine
    • Deadpool
    • Spider-Man 2
    • Spider-Man 2000
    • Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
    • The Ultimate Alliance series
    • The Punisher 2005
    • X-Men arcade
    • Hulk 2003
    • The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
    • Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
    • Spider-Man PS4
    And more I didn't list.
    The Avengers game looks cool.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RabidYak

Marvel are licensing their characters. As archon pointed out, publishers just don't want them or any other licensed IP for games that cost hundreds or even tens of millions to make because it's silly to invest that much money on something that you don't own unless it's something really huge like Star Wars or Spider-Man where a decent game will draw so much money up front that you can justify not having ownership and loosing long term revenue. The economics and business models of the gaming industry have changed dramatically from previous generations when loads of licensed games were being made.

DC doesn't have this problem because WB also owns a relatively large game publisher, but Disney doesn't so Marvel is entirely reliant on outside gaming companies wanting to do business with them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    For the recent Spider-Man game in particular, that falls along the same lines as with WB. Sony currently controls that portion of the licensing for the character, and also owns Naughty Dog and the console to put him on. So it's a much more favourable arrangement for them than the norm.

10. RabidYak

Not quite. The game was made by Insomniac rather then Naughty Dog and they weren't first party at the time, although that doesn't really make any difference it this context since it's Sony that got the licence and paid for the game regardless of who ended up developing it for them. They also would still have had to have gotten a new licence as well since games and movies are separate things, hence Activision having it before and it's obviously non-exclusive as Spider-Man is still showing up in stuff like MUA3. It certainly would have been easier than for other companies though given the existing business relationship.

It's a more favourable situation because Sony's publishing business is run more on the basis of making prestige titles to attract people to their platform rather then then making the maximum amount of money on the bottom line of individual games, so they've got more financial freedom to do expensive games that wouldn't make sense for third parties and to renew licences in the long term. Sony wins because Spider-Man is huge attraction and Marvel wins because they get a higher quality game attached to their IP then they would have gotten from anyone else.

11. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

I liked the last few marvel games(even MvC:I), and I like how they've been letting different devs handling their games instead of giving one total control, but I want to see them rereleasing some of their past games because there's some real gems that are kinda stuck in limbo

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I always get Naughty Dog and Insomniac crossed up for some reason. Probably because they've generally been hot on each others' heels, in the same genre wheelhouses.

13. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you think of RISE OF THE IMPERFECTS game?
    I had fun with that game. Not super great but the game engine they used kinda entertained me for a while.

The game's engine is a sort of "Cat & Mouse" system. Like the PS1 game DESTREGA.
    I don't mind Marvel make a game like this again. But this time make the environment more destructible and big.
    Funny that game had a "Ring Out" :lol  I mean Iron Man can fly so he should be exempted being "Ring Out" :lol 

14. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I do hope we get at least one more "Marvel VS Capcom" title now that the Fox characters issues's been resolved, though honestly, I'd also be happy with Capcom putting those resources into a Capcom only tag team fighting game (or a third "Capcom VS SNK" hint hint wink wink)

• Like Like x 1
  15. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Spider-Man 2 is a guarantee for the PS5. The first game was a massive hit in every way.

16. Uniclonus

Uniclonus Well-Known Member

There's two developers I'd like to see do a Marvel game: Sucker Punch and Platinum.
    After playing the Infamous games, Sucker Punch were the ones I wanted to take a crack at a Spider-man game. Since Insomniac has that locked up, I'm sure there's another character they could do something fun with.
    And Platinum is Platinum. Provided they put their A team on it, I'd like to see them do a Wolverine (or some similar melee based hero) game in the vein of Metal Gear Rising or Bayonetta

17. TheWarPathGuy

Imperfects was a first and last game in a short lived partnership with EA. It was ambitious as it introduced original characters, had a tie-in comic, and a planned sequel! But Marvel pulled the plug. Imperfects didn't sell well.

I've never played it, but Imperfects is ok at best, bad at worst.

This video can answer all your questions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Instagram:
    I wish that we’d get an Iron Man game not unlike Spider-Man PS4, and a 2099 centric game.

19. Constructor

Constructor Behold my true form!

I think that Moon Knight and Daredevil would work exceedingly well in the Arkham gameplay style.

20. TheWarPathGuy

I hope Marvel does a video game universe that is connected like the MCU.
    How about I connect all of them? I know they all don't take place in the same universe, but imagine. I am even counting some movie tie ins, but ignoring the universe of the movie, as they aren't canon (kinda.)

Phase One:
    • Spider-Man 2000
    • Blade
    • Blade 2
    • Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
    • X-Men Legends
    • X-Men Legends 2
    • Fantastic Four
    • The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
    • The Punisher (Takes place during Ultimate Alliance)
    • Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects (Team up)
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Team Up)
    Phase 2:
    • Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    • Ghost Rider
    • Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
    • Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (Good ending)
    • X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Prequel)
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (Team Up)
    • Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
    • Spider-Man: Edge of Time
    Phase 3:
    • Marvel Heroes (Team Up)
    • Deadpool
    • Spider-Man Unlimited (Moblie game)
    • Marvel's Spider-Man
    • Marvel's The Avengers
    This is a bit of a rough cut.

• Like Like x 1