Could prowl be the IDW hero before it ends....

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Sep 21, 2018.

1. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I was trying to work out what to call this thread before I settled on the above. Could prowl ultimately be the hero in this continuity? I'm kinda surprised that as we head towards the end prowl doesn't appear to be doing a lot. For so long prowl was an important figure in the run yet he's strangely quiet now. This surprises me. Could prowl be the saviour right at the end and be a reluctant hero or is he going to just disappear as others take the spotlight.

Prowl should be at the forefront considering his machinations in idw. Do you think he will?

2. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

I see why not

3. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Either that, or they're setting him up for something like this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  4. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

One of the great moments in tf comic book history

• Like Like x 7
  5. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    "Old friend." Boy, Prime was a nice 'bot, huh?

• Like Like x 6
  6. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    In all fairness, I can see why he wasn't all "I WANT YOUR FACE" due to it being all melted.

• Like Like x 5
  7. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    If 'nok was charbroiled, imagine what Zarak looked like inside! No wonder he didn't want his face!

• Like Like x 3
  8. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    He should be

#prowlwasright

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Prowl was the only Autobot trying to actually win the war as opposed to merely fighting it.

Becoming the hero at the end would be well deserved.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a kill switch inside of Unicron shaped like a table. Only one bot can flip that switch.

• Like Like x 17
  11. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

Watch.
    Wheelie is gonna pull a glock on unicron's ass. And primus himself well say all of time was building up to this. And the whole entirety of the idw universe was revolves around wheelie and his misadventures.

12. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Whirl will be the hero and Prowl will have to serve him Energex for the rest of his days!

Mwahahahahahah!

• Like Like x 1
  13. gregles

gregles quintesson

His is obnoxious and in my opinion barber writes him terribly as he is supposed to be cold and calculated so the table flipping thing is making a mockery of out of character behaviour rather than him being an angry pro violence guy.

I always thought they was going to have it revealed that prowl was feeding false intelligence to the DJD incriminating the warrior elite/phase sixers as it always seemed odd that the DJD eliminated so many of them and prowl is one of the few autobots willing to do anything about their threat even to the point of doing deceitful things to achieve this like with overlord. If this is ever revealed it will be Prowl doing something heroic and even possibly swaying the result of the Autobot/Decepticon war as the phase sixers where pretty brutal.

I hope he does have a douche done well moment against Unicron.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    The only fitting fate for Prowl would be to die alone, afraid, hated by everyone with the Universe howling around him, never knowing if any of his plans came to fruition.

For all his claims that he was the only one that cared to try to "win the war", it stopped being that for him a long time ago. Somewhere, his own arrogance turned him into little more than the Autobot version of all the other amoral, unethical schemers and plotters that made what badge he wore meaningless. Prowl stopped caring about winning the war for anyone but himself a long time ago, and his frustration was made all the more clear after the installation of the 2nd Pax Cybertronia. Regardless of the machinations with the Decepticons behind the scenes, Prowl was less interested in promulgating peace than he was continuing to fight and "win" - win against defeated, humiliated Decepticon remnants, some of which were desperate for a change to peace; win against NAILs, a phrase he effectively coined just to put a label on them and devalue them as individuals that exercised a choice not to fight and die for a cause they weren't interested in.

Prowl may have started out noble, with the best of intentions, but he's one of the reasons that the Autobots were practically indistinguishable than the Decepticons near the end of the war. He then went all in and actively made them even worse after the end of it.

He's remorseless now, and even more arrogant. Unicron should not be a redemption arc for him and he doesn't deserve anything than the tailored hell of dying in complete uncertainty, alone and abandoned so that he no longer has any pretenses of how or why he's done what he's done. The only punishment more fitting would be for events to show him that everything he's ever done was utterly useless and that he was never needed, but I doubt that will ever come to pass.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde TRANSformer

News Credits:
    Once had a talk with Roberts and the crew at Botcon. i could see it considering how they seemed to see prowl.

16. Stryyder

Stryyder Just another soldier

I just can't see it. By the end of combiner wars it was obvious they had painted themselves into a corner with Prowl. After the Bombshell incident they could have reverted him back to a force for good and claim all the intrigue and manipulation was the cerebro shell, but instead they decided to double down and make him an agent trying to win a war that was already ended. The fight between him and OP was just sad to watch. It just seemed like he'd finally gone round the bend and given in to his paranoia, only to disappear. One might think he'd hide in the shadows until just the right chance to "win" (i.e. come and destroy everything they had built on cybertron) and end up destroying himself, at least metaphorically.
    Instead, he shows up in SotW with his nonchalant "I know everything" attitude, seemingly nonplussed about having it out with his friend and leader of 4 million years, then pops into Luna 1 for a bit before striking out on his own and suddenly reappearing with some missing elements somehow now knowing he needed to go fight Unicron.

I don't want to see him redeemed. I don't even want to see him sacrifice himself. Just arrest him when they land and send Stardrive up to kick some ass.

• Like Like x 1
  17. UAF

UAF Member

Prowl's spotlight was great.
    But then they just forgot all about it and changed his character 180 degrees to some weird idiot.
    What was he even trying to do in Combiner wars? I have no idea.
    What exactly is his plan with Unicron? I don't think he has one.
    Another wasted character in the Barber run...

• Like Like x 1
  18. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Same for Arcee and Optimus Prime

19. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Look, there's still time for more more table flip.

:D 

• Like Like x 1
  20. simpatico

simpatico Intern for Straxus

I think he will end up a hero.

I think the main problem with Prowl's character has been the inconsistent storytelling with him since CW. In SotW, it looked like he was starting to be redeemed. Maybe he may have started out there with that "I know everything" attitude, but by the end, he was expressing sorrow about Verity's illness, not killing Hubcap, and even going back into the Noisemaze to rescue Springer at the end, all very uncharacteristic of Prowl before. (Not to mention the titular Sins in that book are really all just Prowl's sins coming back to haunt him.) It was nice as the start of a redemption arc, but then John Barber seemed to ignore it and continue writing Prowl as if he hadn't changed post CW and James Roberts wrote him in Titans Return as almost a caricature of himself and also as if he wasn't considered a current fugitive by everyone. After this, he essentially vanished until the Unicron stuff started happening, and even there it was less "let's continue Prowl's story arc" and more "oh crap we're ending let's make sure all our loose ends are fighting Unicron." I'd be fine if Prowl had stayed a villain or if he'd been fully redeemed, I just think it's a shame that there wasn't a consistent direction for his character and that he kind of vanished for awhile. I would have killed for some OP issues about "fugitive Prowl", where he was, what he was up to. Maybe instead of giving so much screentime to those colonist soldiers, we could have had an issue or two of Prowl becoming aware of Unicron as a threat and meeting Stardrive, a chance to really get into both of their heads. There could be more of Stardrive calling out Prowl on his BS, showing some signs of development.

Anyway, from what's been going on in Unicron so far, Prowl's definitely gonna end up a good guy. He's been overshadowed by how much else is going on so far, but

when they were splitting everyone up in Unicron 5, we have Prowl going after Shockwave alone. For one, I'm excited for this just for how much I like these characters, but it makes sense. Beyond them both having one eye and a gun for an arm, they were both the logical high-ranking members of their respective armies that both tried to take things into their own hands to "win" in the perceived greater good. The difference is Shockwave of course doesn't give a shit about the lives of individuals and Prowl always at least told himself he was acting to save lives. In coming up against Shockwave, Prowl's essentially going up against all his worst qualities. Anyway, it looks like he'll be the one to take down Shockwave from how they split the cast up. He'll probably die in the process, to give Shockwave one last win, but that's ok. We saw all through RiD Prowl really can't change for the better during peacetime, he'll always be looking for the next enemy to take down. Maybe Prowl knows that himself and is aware he is driving to his death, but who knows. In another universe, Prowl got a proper redemption arc leading up to this moment, making it feel earned, along with reconciliation with Optimus, but I'm glad it looks like he's going out on a high note.

Also, Shockwave wishes he had Prowl's table-flipping skills.

• Like Like x 5