Could Hasbro/Takara take a 3rd party release and rerelease as offical?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Ambrojh, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe I mean what’s that game where the dinobots are clearly the gigapower and fanstoys bots?
    But that’s just an animation model even though it is pretty clearly taken
    Who knows maybe one day we see a whole wave of the new masterpieces being fanstoys stuff

2. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No one has brought up Evasion Prime yet?

That's a wild chicken and the egg game there. Obviously Hasbro made the first toy, but Wei Jiang did deliver massive, massive improvements and mods- many of which appeared on the later leader sized version.

3. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sir, your timeline is wrong. The shocking truth is:

WJ first released the Evasion prime (MPP01) with designer Black Apple.

On a conversion, Black Apple gave the MPP01 as a gift to Takara designer...

Then Takara took time machine, went back to the past and released the voyager Evasion Prime, then the leader Prime....

• Like Like x 3
  4. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

I hope Takara takes more ideas from 3rd party companies. Then we’ll get more official releases with less QC issues, at a premium of course.

The resale market will be flooded with cheap 3rd party figures, making cool figures more accessible to everyone.

KO companies would making a killing for the “I’ll wait for the KO” crowd.

Transformers would be in the hands of every man, woman and child and usher in a golden age of peace and prosperity.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

6. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

The Star Wars fans would exist but in small splintered factions, the OG Tri, the Jar Jar Squad, and the Rey Regime. With each new Disney movie release, more would defect to the TF.

Sorry, I am off of my meds.

7. Perdere

Perdere Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think they'e definitely bringing 3rd party stuff in to examine their engineering, and learn where they can. Some of the 3P Legends stuff is pulling off amazing aesthetics and engineering in a small size, I'd hope Hastak would want to build the same value into their official stuff...

8. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

What clues they took that aren't already in Skyfire's animation model?

9. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I think they never would because doing so would involve them acknowledging that the third party stuff exists. In my understanding of US IP law, you're required to "defend" your IP if you see someone else using it without permission. If not, you run the risk of losing your claim to the IP, as you have "allowed" it to become public.

Hasbro's stance on third party has large been one of officially ignoring it. If they did go after any one offender, I believe they would have to exhaustively police it all.

Either way, even if a product infringes on your IP, I don't think that gives you the legal right to take it for your profit. Stealing from a thief is still theft.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I wonder if that got vilified for the back end like Toyworld Leia did?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ozymandias13

Ozymandias13 Well-Known Member

This is mostly denied by the fact Has/Tak have never shown that they copyright any of the *designs* of the characters, just their names and other text-related stuff. Has/Tak don't own 'big red truck that stands up as a robot', only 'Optimus Prime'. This issue is the entire reason this forum can exist to have stuff to talk about in the first place, really.

• Like Like x 1
  12. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Taking it 100%? Probably not. Taking what works and removing what doesn't, then try to reduce the number of parts to fit the production budget? Probably.

13. Feloniicharges

Feloniicharges Active Member

Man the just announced seige omega supreme looks damn like mft's huge dragon just upscaled to 24"

14. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

..... Except it clearly transforms far differently
    Edit: I just checked, aside from both being Omega Supreme they're incredibly different, meaning in checking this I have determined that you did not

• Like Like x 2
  15. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

16. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Except you don’t seem to understand the difference between trademarks and copyrights. Names and “text-related stuff” are trademarks (unless you are talking about song lyrics or stories which are copy Rights because they are a bunch of words arranged in a specific and unique arrangement to communicate a unique idea. This is different from song titles which generally aren’t protectable.)

Your other claim is nonsensical — copyrights automatically exist once a design is created — you don’t have to actually submit them for official copyright notice for that copyright to exist. All you have to do is publish them and voila, the copyright is good to go (if it’s a unique creative expression). And the copyright has nothing to do with the generic idea of red truck that turns into a robot, but the unique creative expression of the character’s specific design. Protecting optimus’s design in no way projects to Hasbro preventing the market from making a red truck that turns into a robot.

I’m not sure what point you think you’re trying to make about our ability to discuss the brand and characters in regards to copyrights and trademarks but I assure you you haven’t made a point.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ozymandias13

Ozymandias13 Well-Known Member

Gosh, that must be why 3P companies are getting sued left and right for out-right theft of Has/Tak's trademarks.

I'm not sure what point you think you're trying to make in disputing the screamingly obvious when I was actually supporting your own damned point, but I assure you you haven't made a point.

18. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Earth Wars. And its not just the dinobots, but Shockwave too, among many more.

19. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Yes, they are getting sued for using Hasbro’s trademarks; but you were talking about copyrights. The Transformer trademark has nothing to do with the idea of red trucks that turn into robots.

Your arguments are all over the place and factually incorrect; forgive me as it’s impossible to tell whether you were supporting or disputing my position. But regardless of which it is, your examples and assertions are incorrect.

20. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

totally different source material used.