Could focusing on the Transformers have hurt Transformers AoE Critically?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by thewiredknight, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    This is the best TF movie yet.... for a Transformers fan, and that's what matters. All the new robot characters have personalities, you can tell them apart. I love Drift's humanoid face and Hound is Hound, how can you not like Hound?

2. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be fair though, pretty much EVERY TF Series has 1 or more Mcguffin(s).

G1 had loads, the key to vector sigma, wheeljacks inventions, some unexplained object etc.

Tf Prime had the Iacon Relics, TF Cybertron had the Cyberplanet keys, Energons, was in fact Energon, and Armada had the Minicons. Even Beast Wars had Stasis Pods for a while. Then in the comics side of things, The Knights of Cybertron could be classed as such, seen as though the Lost Light crew have been searching for them for ages.

I think it's only RID that didn't have them (maybe Beast Machines also) And seen as though these films may as well be glorified Transformer Episodes, having some sort of relic is pretty standard.

3. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hound is not Hound at all don't even say that.

John Goodman is Hound, and that is what makes Hound a complete and utter badass :lol 

4. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

The belief that audiences cannot relate or empathize with a VISIBLY non-human character (meaning Superman and Thor don't count) in a live-action franchise is pure and utter bull****, and nothing can be said to convince me otherwise. Because if it were true, there wouldn't be another Planet of the Apes movie coming out this summer; nor would Marvel have the guts to give us a movie featuring a talking raccoon (and Marvel would know, since one of the worst movies ever made was a watered-down bastardization of a Marvel character who was a talking duck).

RID had plenty of MacGuffins (the Protoforms, the O-parts, heck, even Koji's dad would probably qualify). Beast Machines I'm not sure about since I haven't seen the show much since it ended, but I wouldn't be surprised.

5. Deathpool

Deathpool EREDEAN WINCHAEGER

News Credits:
    THIS!!! Most critics giving negative reviews are just whiny little shits who can't make up their minds.

6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I really don't get the point of this or the rotten tomato thread. Why should any of you give even half a shit about what some critics and reviewers think or say? Go see the movie or DON'T go see the movie. Enjoy it or loath it based on what you like or dislike, THEN come back here and defend/debate/complain/support what you've experienced.

7. DeletedUser_106023

DeletedUser_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. They understand that, they just want a reason to criticize. (note I didn't say "hate".)

8. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

That is true about the Transformers franchise in general but what I mean about different is that you do something literally undone with the franchise. I only used the McGuffin angle as a spare example but there are loads of similarities between all the films. Take for instance the savior Optimus angle. Optimus swings in to save the day in almost the exact same fashion in all films for instance:

TFTM: After dispatching Bonecrusher, rolls into Mission City and takes on Megatron. With the help of the US Military and Sam, together they kill Megatron.

ROTF: After being resurrected by Sam, he's upgraded by Skyfire, rolls in and demolishes Megatron, then kills The Fallen.

DOTM: After untangling himself from the wires in Chicago, he proceeds to wipe out just about every con in the field of battle before taking on Sentinel and Megatron ultimately killing them both.

AOE: (from what I've learned) After gathering the Dinobots in the last moments of the film, he rides into Hong Kong vanquishing all human made bots, taking on Lockdown and ultimately killing him and Attinger.

Another motif in all films is that the 'Big Bad' of their respective film always dies at the end.

When I suggest something completely different, I mean for instance, do something like IDW's Last Stand of the Wreckers. It definitely too has its own Mcguffin in the Aquitus, but in terms of the actual plot it's not as cliche as, say a Bay film.

It is an unfair comparison but I really want to point out that a different focus is necessary so as to not make someone like Bay appear like a 'one trick pony'.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

You don't see too many non-organic non-humans in live action films because it's just cheaper to put someone in makeup to call them a Volcan, a Hobbit, or the last son of Krypton. If it's not a person in costume then it's just cheaper go animated.

But since critics seem to like Wall-e and The Iron Giant I'm guessing it more how the characters are handled rather than they can only accept humans. Certain people can only accept humans comes in when it comes time to give out Oscars.

10. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

The Transformers themselves getting more focus was easily the best part of the movie, but wow, there was so much else wrong. I definitely don't think that is the reason why it's getting shit reviews, that's for sure...

11. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're reviewed better because they were better films. Maybe not ROTF or PR, but DOTM trumped this by a long shot.

12. Sonicguy001

Sonicguy001 Member

Well on the one hand it is cool that we get a human perspective but on the gianter other hand, focusing on the Transformers (more specifically the Autobots) would be this movies greatest strength as the other movies never really focused on them as much as we would like to. It's like a reviewer I once saw said 'the transformers are just background characters in their own movie'. With this one I am glad the Autobots took centre stage, with actual characterisation.