Corey Burton uninterested in reprising Shockwave for DOTM

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Chopperface, Dec 19, 2010.

1. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Whatever gave you that impression? :p 

2. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Warner is obviously very close in the vein of Shockwave but my point would be why should we be shooting for close when Corey Burton is phenomenal and exactly EXACTLY shockwave across any generation.

To me this is messing with a proven formula only to get some big name in there.

I call it BS as it is just another way for the director to say he has worked with Such and Such actor when he probably doesn't even really care or know who he is long as he is esteemed.

Did anyone think Burtons Shockwave for animated was horrible why would you want anyone over that.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't have chosen the nickname or spent the last 11 years blogging about it if I didn't.

Sizzle asked for Bumblethumper for an example, and even when he gave what I thought was a satisfactory one, Sizzle still rejected it.

So I just dumped a truckload of examples out for him.

Back on topic, as much as I love hearing Corey as Shockwave, casting David Warner -- whom Corey based Shockwave's voice on to begin with -- would be all kinds of awesome for me. He's one of my favorite dramatic actors. He makes even the crappy B-movies he's been in worthwhile to watch.

And if they kill Shockwave off in the movie, it would surely be the role that helps land David Warner a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for being killed off the most times as a villain in film history.

4. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

The comment about Bay's casting of screen actors over voice actors seems like a pretty thinly veiled dig at the snubbing of Welker for the role of Megatron.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *claps*

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reading comprehension. Get some. Burton hasn't been turned down - he doesn't WANT to do it.

7. Stahi

Stahi Well-Known Member

8. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I'm somewhat ambivalent, if only because David's not getting any younger. I don't know if he can act like he used to, even though all his voices tended 'old' anyway.

And I'm a huge fan of his work, from Batman to Freakazoid to Billy and Mandy, so you have no idea how hard that was to type. Seriously.

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Lol. Thanks, Chris.

And I got so wrapped up in citing examples that I neglected to include the most relevant one: Transformers The Movie. I might as well go ahead and elaborate...

TFTM was one of the earliest examples of celebrity stunt casting for an animated feature -- the suits at the studio thought they'd pull adults in to see the film by casting the likes of Judd Nelson, Eric Idle, Robert Stack, Leonard Nimoy, John Moschitta (who had become something of a celebrity at the time), and freaking Orson Wells! Check the original theatrical trailer and you can see they even hyped the movie around the celebrity cast:

But it backfired on them: no one cared, and the movie crashed and burned out rather quickly at the box office. And parents ended up sending angry letters to Hasbro for giving their kids trauma over the death of Optimus Prime.

And while I'll grant that there are some strong performances from the celebrities, the pro voice actors outshine them. Welker and Cullen amped up their performances for the film, and Welker gave an incredible dramatic performance as Megatron -- something he wasn't given the chance to do with the cartoony TV Megatron characterization.

But Judd Nelson's performance as Hot Rod is flat, phoned-in and so forced in places that it sounds like he doesn't even know what to do with the lines.

And while Leonard Nimoy has some fine moments as Galvatron and was a great choice for the role, his performance is inconsistent. I swear if you listen close you can even hear in his voice that he only took the job for the money -- he delivers some lines where you can sense the contempt that he's resorting to voice-over for a kids' animated movie just for a paycheck.

As for John Moschitta...well, he talks real fast and all and it's entertaining in small doses, but let's just call it what it is: a gimmick. It's speed-talking, not voice-acting (although I will agree that it does suit the character, so I'll give John props on this one).

On the positive side, Eric Idle was an ideal choice for Wreck-Gar even if he's hard to understand sometimes due to the FX on his voice. And Robert Stack is great as Ultra Magnus.

I'm kind of neutral on Orson Wells because there's so much processing on his voice that you can hardly tell it's him. Wells *was* an experienced voice actor, having performed for hundreds of radio dramas and served as narrator for a number of TV and film productions. But we all loved Unicron's voice, didn't we? And Wells, who had become a very large man in his later years, cast as a massive planet-eating transforming planet was so deliciously appropriate that it's also sort of an inside joke.

If you took a poll on fans' favorite performances from TFTM, it's an easy guess that it would be between Cullen and Welker for the top spot. The celebrity voices in TFTM take a back seat to the *real* voice actors.

Okay, now I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Well, shut my mouth and call me Sally!

12. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:

hello sally

13. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Sir, I am offended and disgusted by your list. How could you possibly have excluded Mena Suvari's piss-poor performance as Aerith Gainsborough in Kingdom Hearts II? It made my ears bleed and was a step down, way down, from Mandy Moore's voice acting in the original game. :p 

Behind The Voice Actors - Voice Compare: Final Fantasy - Aeris / Aerith Gainsborough

And speaking of Kingdom Hearts II...

...considering that Corey Burton took over David Warner's role as Sark in it, this seems oddly fitting and symmetrical. :D 

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Well, I kind of went overkill already including as many examples as I did. And I could've kept cranking out examples too, but it would have turned into a :horse: 

However, it was an easy topic for me -- much of that was kind of copied/pasted from one of my old posts on my VA blog.

I haven't heard Suvari's performance, and from your description I'm glad I haven't. Even as much as the Kingdom Hearts series interests me because I'm a Disney fan, I don't have the patience to play RPGs. They suck away your life juices.

But surely she can't suck as badly as Alyssa Milano did in the Ghostbusters video game. Gah. It's just an assault on the ears.

And back to topic, I respect Corey's decision to not be involved in DOTM. And I understand why he wouldn't want to be involved in the live-action movie. He's a reclusive kinda guy, although very friendly and personable if you do have a chance to meet him in person. But as he put it, having "no interest in that kind of mega-budget movie enterprise involvement" fits with his personality.

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fit his personality, indeed, but my hunger for mayhem and gossip can't help but hope that it's sour grapes!

Oooh how I love me some drama! It's BLOOD that rrrrushes to my toenails!

16. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Hey, how's it going? ;) 

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Maybe, because otherwise the remark makes very little sense. The only robot casting that can be considered even approaching celebrity stunt-casting is Megatron.

18. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    ok i guess

19. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Wikipeadia listed this as a credit under Cory Burton , now that I've seen the movie I can understand why he didn't care ..... sad

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Well at least they gave it to Welker rather than some other chump. But seeing as how they completely killed the potential of what could have been Welker's triumphant return as Soundwave by leaving his voice in Dr. Claw mode, Burton's work would have clearly been squandered as well given the whole 1-2 lines Shockwave says.