Conundrum?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by antapp, Sep 2, 2010.

1. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Evening!

I have a slight conundrum, just wondered what other people thought;

I currently have a more or less complete WST collection (this includes customs, KOs, kabaya kits, some PVCs) which basically covers more or less every character from '84-'86 (my era).

Now, because that is done, I've started to collect Classics/Henkei/etc, and again I'm trying to get every available figure, becuase I don't see the point in collecting if you don't complete the set. However, I'm finding this rather expensive, a lack of space and the one thing I don't like about the classics is that although most of the G1 characters are available, the transformations are more complex. (not to a level where I can't do them, but y'know the odd frustrating joint not clicking back into place).

My query is - do I sell the classics?

Is it feasable/necessary to collect two lines which are so similar and based on the same characters?

Just wondering what the general feeling is.....

Thanks. :) 

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I don't see the point in collecting if you're buying things you can live without, or don't like, just for the sake of having a complete set.

Why don't you just collect whatever you like instead? Being a completist is going to cost you A LOT of money, especially if you're looking to collect GUCH.

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    My angle (and I think a lot of others share this view) is that Henkei and Classics/Universe/Generations are effectively the same line, just slightly different interpretations.

Some prefer Takara's take, others Hasbro's. Going forward, it would probably be cost productive for the OP to do the same, pick one or the other, just not both

4. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Wollstone is right especially when you get into henkei and some of the figures with fansproject upgrades. Just get what you like.

5. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks guys. :) 

6. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've never understood the completist way of collecting. I buy what I like and if that happens to be basicly the entire line, then thats the way it ends up. But I dont start collecting a line thinking "I gotta have them all"... well other than Alternators, but even then I got a couple BTs instead of the Alt version since I prefered those ones and still didnt get "everything" by the end of it, maybe 90% (rough guess).

So basicly, if there are classics/henkei/universe/generations figures you like and other you dont like, then just get the ones you like and be happy you've got some TFs that you wanted but didnt blow all your money on the stuff you didnt like.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Agreed. This ain't pokemon.

8. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to be a completionist but space becomes an issue at some point. The day I decided to just buy what I like was very liberating. I feel like a huge weight lifted. It was a tough decision but I can tell you I have not regretted selling one figure that I had only because it was part of a set. Give it a try.

9. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks, will do. :) 

10. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the end, a CHUG collection will cost more, especially when you factor the Botcon figures, but as toys they'd be so much more satisfying. That's just me...

11. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

No. Like what was said, you're best off seeing which version of the character you prefer.

In my case, I'm going strictly with the Henkei line. Smaller line, less repaints and such. But that's how I'm going with my collection.
    You could be buying any two lines of Transformers figures and that's almost exactly how it goes, between recycled names, characterizations, and homages abound.