Controversial Opinion: Transformers should go back to Marvel.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Orbitalchaos, Jan 29, 2021.

1. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

Well, idw2 is pretty trash as well, I havent read past the first volume but I probably prefer the marvel stuff as well.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

Yes, let's let another mega-zaillion company own another property, see how that goes.

I don't know about you, but Death's Head hasn't been a thing since Marvel kept him. We got Rom back and IDW did wonders for him! So like we're still issue 23ish in this reboot, why not give it another 23?

Y'all wanted a War for Cybertron in it's fullest, and I'll take this over what Netflix is doing any day of the week imo. That's a controversial opinion in this thread.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

News Credits:
    That's not hard to do, in all fairness. The new IDW series is pretty low-tier.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper green

News Credits:
    No

5. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I wouldn't wanna see that happen either. Marvel hardly treats their own IPs well, so I doubt we'd see any well-written Transformers stories from them.

• Like Like x 3
  6. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

So, really, when you say Marvel, you mean Disney, as they are the parent company.

I personally wouldn’t mind that, and I know Disney would find a way to make the franchise make them money, which means more Transformers media. AND, I would hope that the price tag Hasbro would demand would make Marvel and Disney want to give TF the gold star treatment. A Disney+ series to the level of “The Mandalorian” would be great.

Dark Horse might do okay with it too.

7. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I don't think the company is as important as the creative and editorial team.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Hard no. Hell no.

Marvel is obviously owned by Disney - and we've all seen how they've bungled the Star Wars universe.

If Disney gets their meaningless bullshit storytelling anywhere near The Transformers I'm forever done with escapist entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Marvel and Lucasfilm are two distinct entities, despite both having the same parent company. And look at how well Marvel is doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
  10. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    This is proved by IDW successfully publishing TF comics for 15 years. The only thing a bigger company can do is hire more expensive talent, and let's be honest...if those guys wanted to do Transformers, they'd already be doing it. TF is better at a smaller publisher where it has a chance to shine.

• Like Like x 2
  11. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    As someone who was a kid at the time and read them they honestly weren't that good back then either. Budianski's run has more weak issues than great issues. And the art and coloring was not very good either. Things changed when Furman took over. gone was the 'this is just a toy property attitude' and we finally got some decent stories and better art.

They are great nostalgia though... They are really products of its time.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Lucas and Marvel are subject to the same Disney regulations.

Marvel films are dead in the water for the foreseeable future but will return.

Television, we'll never be privy to those numbers.

Marvel comics is barely surviving.

• Like Like x 4
  13. raindance773

Please, enlighten me... how exactly has Disney bungled Star Wars?

Their movies, even the ones with obvious flaws, have grossed billions of dollars. While some of those movies were panned by fans and critics, at least one was praised by fans and critics as an exceptional film, and their television shows have been nothing but stellar.

As a fan of the old Star Wars movies and EU, I can honestly say Legends had flaws as well, and the EU was breaking under its own canon weight before the Disney purchase. The books now are just as good as they were then, and are better in some many ways. The video games have remained strong, as always. We have a mixed bag with movies (as always), and Disney is farming out to Hasrbo to make good Star Wars toys. We have massive real estate investments at Disney's theme parks (for both Marvel and Star Wars) that a proving to be massively popular. We continue have strong animated shows, but we also have an incredibly strong live action mtelevision show and a multi-billion dollar commitment from the parent company to produce more. A company doesn't spend that type of money to produce stuff people aren't going to want to watch. That's beyond bad business, and a bad return on the money they put up to produce the shows. Good products with good reviews bring more of the same because they make more money than poor quality products.

So, what specifically has Disney done to Star Wars to screw it up?

Relating it to Transformers, Disney has made Star Wars and Marvel profitable and relevant. That's what Transformers needs because right now, the only people who care about Transformers comics at the current moment are Transformers fans, and we are a small niche. We remain a "toy franchise." If we ever want it to be more than that, with good comics and good movies and good shows, we have to be willing to trust that a corporation who has a proven track record (and may do things we as fans don't like). Similarly, the amount of money Disney would have to front for the rights would guarantee it to get good treatment. Maybe not Marvel level at first, but it has the potential to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Now I don't even hate Disney, and have no strong opinion one way or the other on Star Wars overall, but I just want to say...No, I don't really want to trust the corporation. On principle, I'm opposed to Disney getting access to more IPs, simply because they're already edging on being a monopoly as it is. Giant Mega-corporations having near unregulated control over the market the way Disney does, having their hands in almost everything, is not something I want to see. Sure, no one is outright suggesting Disney just buy the franchise outright, just that Hasbro sends the license their way, but it's still an uncomfortable situation to be in, no matter how profitable the MCU and Star Wars have been. I understand where you're coming from, I just don't trust the corporations be default.

• Like Like x 8
  15. raindance773

What are you talking about??? Where did you get that the MCU is dead in the water??

MCU Phase 4 was supposed to start last year, but 2020 happened. So far, for Phase Four of the MCU, there are four movies scheduled for 2021, four for 2022, two for 2023, and six television shows for 2021, with at least two shows for 2022.

Had the events of 2020 not happened, there wouldn't have been a lull for the MCU beyond what was planned for 2019 and 2020 already. Disney really wanted Endgame to be the big splash of that year.... and 2020 made it the big splash of two years. LOL.

Also, comic publishers as a whole aren't doing the best, but they are still doing well enough to be profitable and it's not like they are on life-support. They aren't, and they are being buoyed by movies and television. Does that affect the number of small titles? Absolutely, but the publishing houses aren't in immediate danger, and won't be if they continue to evolve with the times. Comics, along with other periodicals, particularly newspapers and magazines, aren't necessarily doing the best, but that doesn't mean they are going extinct. They will just have to change with the times.

Relating it back to Transformers, as comics change, Transformers will have to change. What worked in the mid-2000s will not necessarily work in the 2020s. That means we have to change with it too, and expect different things if we want the franchise we all like to stay fresh and relevant and alive at all.

16. raindance773

That's entirely fair. I am on the opposite end and wouldn't mind Disney buying the franchise (mostly because I have stock in Disney and Hasbro (BUT NOT GAMESTOP!!! LOL) so I have a literal vested interest), but I totally understand people not wanting Disney to gain more IPs.

I am totally fine with your reasons. I get that and respect you for saying that. Difference of opinion but I am fine with that.

17. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, I much enjoy Marvel's run.

I'd love to get a HC Omni.

Similar to what Marvel is doing with the Dark Horse Aliens and Predator.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    With the Marvel comics, each issue is written with a definitive beginning, middle and end. Like a real comic should be. Not written for the trade like comic books are now.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Reask

Reask Predacon

Umm, no. Marvel has already stolen the license for Star Wars, Conan, Alien and Predator, you really want to add more onto the belly of the Jabba the Hutt of the comic world?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Stolen?

• Like Like x 1