Continuation of the G1 cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFsound1, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lots of d words also in the star tv dub. Even the kids in masterforce curse.

2. TFsound1

TFsound1 Well-Known Member

When I first saw Return of the Jedi I thought the story was finished until a sequel to it came out 32 years later.

3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I'd be down, just because I think the concepts in the Rebirth are worth expanding upon in a full season, and there are other ideas in the Marvel G1 and G2 comics worth seeing on-screen, like Bludgeon and other Pretenders and the Cybertronian Empire. Personally, I'd be so down for seeing an episode with G2's Shadow Parasites!

I don't expect it to be the exact same style of animation and 80s campy music in this day and age, but that's okay.

4. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    There's a new season of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe out there now, so why not?

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's be cool. I'd love to see Optimus become power Master prime. The marvel comics didn't do it for me. At least marvel UK was cool.

There's a saying that a happy ending is just a story told left unfinished.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2020
  6. TFsound1

TFsound1 Well-Known Member

How long was the gap? For example, the gap between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens is 32 years.

7. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I wouldn’t expect it either. And that’s precisely why I’m not interested. It wouldn’t truly feel like a continuation. It wouldn’t look the same. It wouldn’t sound the same. And I don’t care how much the writers could claim to be true fans, they will place their own spin on things to the point where it doesn’t even feel like the old story.

I’m also not excited about this for the same reason I mentioned above. I would love to be proven wrong. But I don’t have high hopes.

8. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I consider ROTJ to be the ending of SW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Fair enough. Although in my case, regardless of visual style and the music used, I would still much rather have a continuation with concepts from the later G1 cartoon and comics than Cyberverse, the Machinima series, etc. a hundred times over, even if it's not 100% in style like the G1 series. That's how I look at it.

10. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ok Boomer,(JK)

But in all honesty, Hasbro won't do it. They would have done so by now. To allocate money to a continuation of a show that is over three decades old would alienate most audiences. The T.V shows, at least to me have always been aimed at the main market, being the children at the time.

Besides, they were, the Japanese G1 continuity is pretty fun, I like it way better than what the American one did with the headmasters, little green humans teaming up with transformers. That was really weird.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Tonkatsu

Tonkatsu Haver of Bad Opinions

I'd like to see a proper dub of Headmasters with the surviving G1 cast, just for the sake of it. Otherwise, no, I don't think there should be an official continuation of G1.

12. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I would love to see headmasters dubbed as well, Mimicking voice actors would be fine but it’s not like that show dubbed to original script would actually fit as a Continuation of G1

• Like Like x 2
  13. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Yeah, I don't see any way through changing the script alone that Headmasters could be made to follow Rebirth. I personally just ignore Rebirth. With Rebirth out of the way, the only significant contradictions that remain are the inclusion of Prowl in Headmasters and Wheeljack in Victory. But the Sunbow cartoon already had so many inconsistencies that I just roll with it.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I agree. Headmasters should be given a fan dub and not just a straight translation of the Japanese original. How would the established American characters phrase their lines?

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Maybe if they ignored Season 2, Call of the Primatives, the Return of Optimus Prime and the Rebirth.

Even as a kid, I thought the G1 cartoon was mostly poorly written and animated. Season 2 was the worst offenders with stuff like Alpha Trion, Orion Pax, Kremzeek and Lord Chumley.

I realise people will say that Kremzeek and Lord Chumley were part of the fun of G1 but then they probably liked the Animated human villains. I don't mind humour but forced and corny isn't my cup of tea. Too much of that in the Bayverse.

I'd rather a continuation from the More Than Meets the Eye pilot that follows into the movie.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I don't trust the fans to do the dub. Hell, look at the liberties SHOUT took with the subtitling.

17. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    I think the thing to do would be to do a G1 “season 2.5” miniseries that would not only serve as an answer to what happened between Season 2 of the cartoon and the movie, but also to serve as a “last ride” for the original cast and their characters; if Hasbro is ever going to move on from G1 and start showing that other areas of the franchise are profitable, this, I think, would be a good way to put G1 to bed, so to speak.

• Like Like x 2
  18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    BW did that already. Poorly, but they did do it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Nah. G1 wrapped itself up decently enough. And today it would probably be nothing but cheap 10 minute schlock.

20. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Hasbro had the opportunity to do a season 2.5 already but didn't. When they brought Car Robots over as Robots in Disguise, they could have written it in a way that it took place between season 2 and 3 of the Sunbow cartoon. But they decided to make it an alternate continuity instead.