Continuation of the G1 cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFsound1, Mar 1, 2020.

1. TFsound1

TFsound1 Well-Known Member

A lot of movies during the 1970s and 1980s have got continuations over the last 10 years. Some that come to mind are Terminator, Blade Runner, Alien (prequels), Star Wars, The Shining, etc. Yet, I haven't seen that with the Transformers cartoon. One can argue that Beast Wars is a continuation of G1, but the issue is that you have almost no G1 characters with the exception of ere are almost no G1 characters with the exception of Starscream's ghost, a bipedal talking Ravage, and deactivated Transformers from the Ark. I can understand that Beast Wars had a low number of characters due to how expensive it was with computer animation. The Japanese have a G1 continuation that is entirely different from the North American continuation and it was to sell the Japanese exclusive toys. I know that there is the new Transformers series coming out on Netflix, but it is a reboot rather than a continuation. Are there any plans to have a continuation or a prequel? Even if there is a continuation of the Beast Machines?

2. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I feel like Prime Wars was supposed to be that (thankfully it wasn't given how it's impossible for the plot to line up with the G1 cartoon). There doesn't seem to be anything in the works for a continuation of the original G1 Cartoon Continuity, though given the changes over the 3-4 original seasons, I don't really see a need for one.

3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Hasbro never goes back and creates continuations. For any parts of the franchise. When the show's over, the show's over. Look at Transformers: Animated as a good example. The show was cancelled just as the fourth season was beginning development; several related toys had already made it to the physical prototype stage. And although the show had a fine ending, people were still very eager for the fourth season to be produced, even in comic form. Unfortunately, all we've ever gotten for it were concepts delivered in the AllSpark Almanacs, a behind-closed-doors reading of the outline for the first three episodes, and a crummy fan comic. IDW even tried to poke fun at the idea of a continuation when revealing Regeneration one, though they were thoroughly embarrassed when the audience showed overwhelming enthusiasm for an Animated continuation, as opposed to another flavor of G1.

Besides, the time for a direct continuation for G1 has long, long passed in my opinion. Heck, I'm tired of Hasbro constantly insisting that new media be slight variations on the G1 flavor, and I'm especially tired of G1's dominance of CHUG for the last six or more years.

4. TFsound1

Star Wars VI had a very satisfying end for the Star Wars series where everyone was happy and the Empire got destroyed. It seemed like the SW universe could of ended with that. Yet, 32 years later when Disney bought Lucas Films they made the their first sequel which brought back the original cast and later brought the Emperor back (even though he clearly looked like he was killed in VI). Sequels to The Shining and Blade Runner were totally unexpected for me and those films were made years before the Transformers started. If those films have sequels than it's also possible for the US G1 cartoon to get a sequel.

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Going back to prequel or sequel something after that much time has passed NEVER ends well. Even if you hired professionals who were also fans of the franchise to go back and do it you'd have conflicting ideas as far as what the tone should be or how events should play out.

• Like Like x 8
  6. TFsound1

I agree about Hasbro making variations of the G1 flavor. I'm kind of tired of seeing a variation red Optimus and a yellow Bumblebee, and a Megatron immigrating to earth and all. It just gets too cliche. What I liked about Beast Wars was that they had some really new and it had interesting characters. Plus, it was sort of connected to G1 unlike anything that came after. I wasn't happy with the sequel Beast Machines where they had the techno-organic stuff (which I think is the case for most people). It seemed ridiculous with turning Cybertron into a hippy forest place. Although I will say that had Beast Machines had fancy Cyberpunk graphics. I liked the designs of the Vechicons and that it was dark.

Maybe they could make continuation where it takes place on another planet instead of Cybertron? There have already been other Transformer planets like Junkion, Paradron, etc.

The G1 Rebirth was supposed to take place during the year 2006 or 2007. We're living in the year 2020. Daniel would already be an adult in his 20s and they can probably create a cast of new younger Transformer characters that will dominate the series. I think it also depends on who is working on the project. Directors and writers matter. Blade Runner 2 surprisingly went well. I also thought that Force Awakens was good. I am curious to see Dr. Sleep (sequel to The Shining) and heard it was good according to one friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2020
  7. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

I would love it if IDW continued where Rebirth left G1 off. Just like a couple of issues or so, to wrap it all up.
    Would love it even more if they could actually keep the art style of G1 and maintain the same, lighthearted tone but wrapping up most of the loose ends in an epic way.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Honestly, I don't think I'd be happy with a continuation of G1. I don't see any way that it could continue with the same tone. New people always want to put their spin on things.

I just ignore Rebirth and consider Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory/Zone to be my G1 continuation.

• Like Like x 8
  9. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Quoted for truth. JG1 is so much fun, and retains much of the feel of its American predecessor. We don't need a G1 continuation, since there's already 3 more seasons out there!

• Like Like x 5
  10. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

While I have no desire to see a new G1 cartoon, I’d love to see a proper English dub of JG1 get made.

• Like Like x 5
  11. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    :lol 
    I wish the "classic" dub had been included as an extra on the DVDs!

"Darn that Soundwave. EEEEUUUAAAAAAGH!"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I second this. The old English dubs are hilarious.
    "Fortress Maximus prepare for your death today yer gonna die!"

Sixshot: You're dead.
    Chromedome: Not likely.

Hot Rod: Billy, you okay?
    Blaster: Not really... find the Power Pack! Rescue Optimus Prime. Go...
    [Blaster turns gray]
    Hot Rod: Billy, I promise you, I'll get those dirty scum for you.
    -"Billy" dies.

"All right, listen up! I'm the ninja consultant for the Decepticons. My name is Sixshot."

"Something strange has happened. Now there are TWO Optimus Primes!"

"Don't call me Billy anymore! I'm Blaster now!"

"Galvatron has reused some of Soundwave's parts, along with some other new parts, and has reconstructed another Soundwave, and renamed him New Soundwave."

"At last the battle is over. It's a miracle that Fortress Maximus survived. But will Scorponok return? Of course he will. We haven't seen the last of him, that's for sure."

Galvatron: This is Unicorn! The Earth will soon be a part of me!
    [​IMG]
    Sixshot: WHOOAAH.

"Darn, my dream is ruined! Come and help me somebody quicklyyyyyyahhhhhhhhhhhh!"-Galvatron dies.

And then there's these great episode titles:
    The Resurrected Billy Against the Decepticons!
    Life Can Be Sacrificed for Peace on Earth!

• Like Like x 5
  13. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

From what I understand, I think Shout wanted to include the English dub but Hasbro said no. Not sure why Hasbro allowed it to be released in the UK and Australia but not in the US.

I have the Australia Madman release, which has Headmasters and Victory in English. I also have the earlier Chinese release, the sets with the Transformers the movie artwork. It has everything in English, including Masterforce. It also has the missing segments from Headmasters and has the Victory clip show episodes, which I originally didn’t know got dubbed.

My own personal definitive set is an edit I made where I took the English audio, synced it to Shout video, censored out the swearing as well as some other stuff that would be deemed too inappropriate for the Sunbow cartoon and created custom Sunbow style opening, ending, and commercial bumpers. The whole project took me about 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

And just look at what the Star Wars sequels did.
    Just because you can create a continuation doesn't always mean that you should.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tron Legacy is a sequel done right 30 years after the fact.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    This is so true.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Trying to compare the G1 transformers and the original SW films doesn’t realty work well

You got a remember at its core , the G1 cartoon was nothing more than a glorified toy commercial........They never really put a lot of thought and effect into it then, I highly doubt they would be willing to do so now when it would be more difficult
    then what would be the point of making a direct continuation? That’s what they did with season three and it wasn’t exactly a success with every one

You can find a Lot of fans that hate season 3 because of all the new characters and the lack of Focus on the older ones

• Like Like x 1
  18. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    While I grew up with G1and it's my favorite continuity,I think the story had been finished.

19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget uncle sixshot!

From what was said it may have been the curse words. They curse in the star tv dub and Hasbro was not keen on it. (but they can curse in the animated movie and live action films all they want. Hasbro is fine with that.)

• Like Like x 1
  20. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I wouldn’t be surprised if the swearing was an issue. I’m just not sure why it was an issue in the US and not in the UK and Australia.

I can enjoy a potty mouth R rated film as much as the next guy. But in a Transformers cartoon, it just feels out of place. I prefer the innocence of the Sunbow cartoon. There’s something nostalgic about it. I was watching Masterforce and my little daughter walked in the room just as one of the characters yells, “go to hell.” That was the moment I decided to edit a censored version of the series.