Confusing Transformers Stuff

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutobotAvalanche, Oct 20, 2016.

1. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Given that Takara decided not to bring Convoy back for Masterforce and opted instead to use the Powermaster Optimus Prime toy as a totally different character, why the heck didn't they change the colors?

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Because it was Convoy's transtector they were intending to use to revive him. That's the story-based explanation, at least.

I'm sure there's an interest on capitalizing on the Convoy look anyhow.

3. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

Beast wars ending always stubbled me, and I know with beast machines they continued that, but really? Idk if there's a comic that explain's the gap.

4. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Everything about the online CW series. Are combiners a different species? Why is Windblade a physcho-murderer all of a sudden? Did the writers do any research, didn't care, or both?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Putting the ‘Bi’ in Bionicle.

News Credits:
    Until I was told otherwise, every time I saw IDW-verse Tailgate (such as on these forums and such) I though he was female. Looking like a loli character and having stereotypically "feminine" hips did not help.

Also, Cybertronians have always been gendered, ever since Wheeljack referred to Optimus as "he". Male is not a neutral gender. If Cybertronians were really genderless, they would all redder to each other as "it". But this is a debate for another time.

6. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    Whilst every piece of Transformers fiction ever made is, at its heart, a toy advertisement, I think people are willing to overlook the cynical nature of it all when the writers and production staff create something that's a bit more layered and substantial than the usual hack-work you tend to get with licensed tie-ins.

You can nitpick anything if you look hard enough, but I find I tend not to notice the mistakes if I'm being swept up in the narrative and the characters. I guess that Beast Wars and Animated have that effect on a lot of people.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think Beast Wars gets an exception in that they had actual sci-fi writers from Star Trek and other franchises working on the show. Hasbro, for the first couple seasons at least, also seemed very hands-off, allowing the writers to cherry-pick their favorite characters and do whatever with them. Beast Machines was when Hasbro got REALLY involved...and that was a train wreck. Perhaps a spectacular one to some fans, but still a train wreck.

TFA is weird in that season 3 was basically an advertisement for a toy line that was wrapping up and already beginning to move on. Because of that, the writers were unshackled to kind of have free reign over the storyline at that point. When that happens, you usually get greater creativity and gain a cult following...

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yup, BW and TFA (And Prime to be fair) aren't criticized as glorified toy commercials because they are written with the intent to be quality programming that puts story and charatcers on the same priority, if not more often above, as selling product.

Which almost makes them more impressive, if they managed thought-provoking and compelling stories despite the restrictions of featuring characters for advertisment. Hell, the only reason Dinobot died in BW was because they knew they'd have to make room for a new character eventually, and started his character arc at the beginning of the season so it'd have meaning.

How is physically altering your body to be one selected form that you have to manually contort into a better disguise than just turning invisible?

There was no gap. Not for the Maximals. The trip was short (but turbulent) for them, because they travelled through time. Beast Machines shows everthing that happens to the Maximals in between shows. The only thing they don't actually show is Megatron's rise to power, but it's explained in the show. (the virus he created)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Need new Legacy G2 Leadfoot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why FunPub was allowed to use AVP to insert fanfiction into canon via retcons and technicalities.

10. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Vehicle mode might be faster than robot mode. E.g. Mirage has a race car mode, but he can turn invisible.

11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Then why not have jetpacks and fly?

What's preventing every TF from being invisible and just flying everywhere?

12. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    It might be a combination of things. Do we know how energy intensive it is for Mirage to turn invisible? Does doing so add extra stress to his systems if he does it for too long? How is he able to see while invisible, perhaps you need specialized optics to make use of it? No question invisibility is "the best disguise of all" but if the tradeoff for simply transforming is better...

As to why beast forms are good, wasn't it pointed out that (outside Beast Wars where they were disguises) the dinobot and Predacon beast modes were more for assault than hiding. They weren't called in for infiltration, just to do some damage.

13. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Asher Tye beat me to it.

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But those are all made-up excuses. You could just as easily say none of those things are factors. Also, no continuity I know of has ever gave him restrictions of any kind.

Plus, I feel like those all would be easier problems to solve than completely rebuilding yourself for what is basically a very, very limited disguise. (that is also good for all of one use until your enemies see you transform)

Yeah, before Beast Wars beast modes were just for a more mobile attack form.

15. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    He's just a feminine male. The whole female voice thing doesn't really mean anything since plenty of "young" characters in cartoons are voiced by women. Steven Universe, and Fairly Odd Parents for example.

16. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Honestly the mess that is the Aligned continuity baffles me, but to be fair I'm pretty sure it baffles Hasbro too.

17. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Banned

News Credits:
    The thing that's always puzzled me about Transformers is reproduction methods. There's literally so many different methods that are canon and it gets really confusing sometimes.

It could be that Tailgate is just a feminine boy.

Pronouns don't have to correlate to voice, actions or appearance. I mean, look at me. I have a high and feminine voice, yet I have a fairly masculine apperance and get very annoyed when people refer to me with feminine pronouns or names.

Given how he behaves and his voice, I personally headcanon him as a feminine trans boy, but that's just me. if you have other explanations you can have em

y'all can yell at all ya want about how "TRANSFERMURS DUNT HAVE GENDURRRSSSSS" but I like my Representation thanks

18. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    I love Megatron's gun alt mode. Why, I don't know, but I do. What confuses me is WHY does he turn into a gun when he can already shoot that gun, by himself, in robot mode. I've heard some say that he's more powerful in gun mode, but that's just hokum. That will always confuse me.

19. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:

He took his alt mode from the famous George Adamski UFO. They were in a supposedly small town - they probably see UFOs all the time :crazy: 

Adamski UFO:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Poncho

Poncho :/

I think what really confuses me is just WHERE and HOW did the Sky Spy get the data for Megatron's gun mode? Did someone from the nearby city have a P38 with accessories from a then-20 year television series just lying around his house, in a place where the drone could easily scan it from the outside?

• Like Like x 1