Confused regarding G1 comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by WO3004, Jul 17, 2016.

1. WO3004

WO3004 One half of a Duobot

News Credits:
    So i've got all of ReGeneration One, read it all, enjoyed it, had no idea what was going on but I enjoyed it. So what leads up to ReGeneration One? Because there's Classics compilation volumes and Classics UK compilation volumes available, and I have no idea what the difference is. Does anyone know which ones I want to start buying to get the whole G1 story?

2. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was a Marvel US series that ran for 80 issues. That's what's collected in "The Transformers Classics". That's what ReGeneration One is a sequel to.

There was also a Marvel UK series that ran for 332 issues. That series consisted of reprints of nearly all the US material plus a great many UK-exclusive comics written in the same continuity. Those UK-exclusive comics are what is (in the process of being) collected in "The Transformers Classics UK".

There was also a 12-issue sequel to the US run called "Generation 2".

ReGeneration One does not treat the UK stuff or Generation 2 as canon.

The wiki goes into detail:
    The Transformers (Marvel comic) - Transformers Wiki
    Marvel Comics continuity - Transformers Wiki

3. Reask

Reask Predacon

Regeneration One is the continuation of the old Marvel comics which IDW has republished as "Classics". You can find the volumes on comixology, I think the first 6 volumes collect all 80 issues and the other two are just bonus stories I'll need to recheck on that.

Classic UK are old Marvel stories that were made while the writers in the UK were waiting on the US stories. There are a lot of these stories and IDW has not even finished republishing them all yet. While the UK stories are great, Regeneration One was made as a sequel to the US Marvel comics ignoring the UK stories and the Generation 2 comics. G2 was the original sequel to the old Marvel comics but IDW has not republished that either.

Anyway, all you need to know what lead to Regeneration One are the original 80 issues and maybe the Headmaster mini series that was out too. I dunno I still need to play catch up myself but for the time being, the UK stories were their own side stories and the US stories were the ones that remain connected to RG1.

4. WO3004

WO3004 One half of a Duobot

News Credits:
    Cracking, thanks for the response guys.