Confirmed by Roberto Orci: No Mass Shifting

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

To clarify the difference between 'mass shifting' and 'size shifting', it's been pointed out that a 60+ foot plane can reduce in size, not mass, to a 25 or so foot robot by having parts collapse over, in, or on top of other parts. The dimensions are smaller, but the mass is the same; the smaller form would be far denser that the larger form.

Mass shifting would imply and actual change in mass, which is pretty much physically impossible. One might find a way to have Soundwave collapse enough to be the size of a tape deck, but the tape deck would weigh many tons.

Of course, movies have ignored this issue. The Hulk comes to mind.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Personally i dont want see either mass or significant size shifting if the transforming can't be replicated in the toys they should do something else I am tired of line after line pissing on scale as far as the toys go but acknowledging it in the media.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    ehh... nvm I was :horse: 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

G1 only used mass shifting because they started out by stealing existing toys from both Diaclone and Microman.

If they want to use handguns and tapeplayers and microscopes in the movie, that would be fine with me. Just keep them the proper size in robot mode as well. Call them Minicons.

5. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

It would seem that some mass shifting is going to occur. It just won't be blatently obvious to the casual viewer. If Soundwave is indeed a helecopter, he will likely measure in at over 60 feet in length. Even if his transformation had him doubling over, that would still make Soundwave far taller than any Autobot. More disturbing is the fact that Megatron (assuming he is an M1A2) would be one of the smallest Decepticons (and he would still be huge). The mass difference between the Autobots (as civilian vehicles) and the Decpeticons (as military equipment) would make it impossible for the two factions to stand toe-to-toe without at least a moderate mass shift.

The important thing here is that such a mass-shift isn't blatently obvious to audiences. I understand that audiences will vehemently condemn an obvious change in mass, but one that is subtle will undoubtedly go unnoticed by most casual viewers. Afterall, how many film goers will notice if the Decepticons are 25-30% shorter than they should be, or in turn the Autobots increase in height by a similar margin. Even then, the Decepticons would be noticeably bigger than their Autobot counterparts. I just can't imagine this film working without a moderate shift in mass.

6. Galvatron 88

Galvatron 88 The Greatest of Cybertron

Im lost what does mass shifting mean???

7. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

When certain transformers change forms, they also experience a change in physical mass. In otherwords, a transformer weighing several tonnes becomes an object that weighs only a few pounds. This change in mass, is by all measures impossible, but necessary in order to explain the obvious size discrapencies between certain transformers and their alt modes.

If there was no mass shifting, G1 Soundwave would be about seven inches tall. While this mass shift works well in an animated medium, it is readily apparent that the powers that be don't feel that such a radical change in size would make alot of sense in a live-action film.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

It would be nice if they can save the mass shifting til the end. Maybe Decepticons can build a TF that they can smuggle somewhere and have it become 50 feet tall when transformed. But it'll be like those Power Ranger thing where the heroes are confronted by a being many times taller than they are and we don't want that do we?

9. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Personally I don't understand why mass shifting would be too unrealistic for a live action movie.

If every personal computer in most movie throws up a complicated 3D animation accompanied by 3 beeping sound effects for tasks as simple as closing a window or typing...

If every government agency in most movies has a program that can zoom a picture in to a mass of blocky pixels and then "clean it up" to crystal clear perfection...

If every space ship in most movies can have perfect gravity inside the ship, no matter how small it is...

If every horde of evil henchmen in most movies can fire 30 machine guns at a running hero and not hit him...

If every car in most movies blows up in a violent explosion after a crash/gunshot...

...and audiences buy all of that with no problem...
    why would they balk at mass shifting?

• Like Like x 1
  10. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Because these are all established movie concepts. And these are not things that most people encounter in every day life. Also, for the general public, they probably don't know any better. However a huge-ass robot shrinking into a tiny tape deck will look totally out of place and stupid to everyone - except for the odd diehard G1 fan. It isn't a standard movie exageration as such. Unless you count 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids.' Which we don't. Because unfortantly the TF movie doesn't have the power of Rick Moranis and that's a damn shame.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

I HATE THEM ALL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.