Confirmed by Roberto Orci: No Mass Shifting

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Size changing will not make or break the movie. The movies going to be good or bad, and people aren't going to come out saying that if size changing had been in it it would be better or worse. This movie needs 3 things to be good. A well written shooting script, a strong cast, and really good special effects. In my opinion, everything else is just nit picking.

2. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    I'm guessing Feral here's got it right ~ I'd imagine they'll make the Con's bigger (think G1 jet-to-cra relationship) without utterly TOWERING over the 'bots ~ seems like it'd be silly any other way... (i like the term 'Mass fudging' for this ;)  )

3. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    a jet can easily be in scale with a car robot if you put a bit of thought into it..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put this together in about half an hour. A 63 foot tall F15 eagle standing up right, into a 25 foot tall robot similar to the G1 design.

But with a lot of folding and compacting, and using the rear rudders in place of the big wings, and folding the big wings up and hanging them off the back along with half the nose cone, and compacting the rest of the plane body into the arms, chest/waiste and legs.. it can be done

you have to use your imagine a bit here :p 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's a little stumpy, but a bit extra care in the design would help that out. I only spent half an hour chopping this thing up and putting it back together. incase I mean.. seriously.. what's in a plane?? feul tanks and engines? both pretty much hollow for the most part, easily able to fold up and compact into small area;s.

besides, its an alien robot who can fly anyways, what would he even need engines for, he could just use the outter shell of the jet for disguise, that's the whole point of it anyways :p  not for practical use

4. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Excellent work there Mike. Given how undense (not sure if that's a word) planes tend to be, this will probably be how the movie will handle it. The toys of course won't do it this way, but that's not really an issue.

The problem I have with the Dreamwave concept of size shifting as Feralstorm described is that without a change in mass, the tiny cassette, cassette player, gun, etc., would be so incredibly dense that it would still weigh many tons. Spike's not carrying Soundwave into the Ark if that's the case.

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

no mass shifting....
    hhmmm..... Why am I not suprised ?

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Well said, well said JM! :thumbs2: 

And Mike has a good point with the model example, when the seekers transform, they can still be in scale with the autobots (just perhaps a couple of feet taller).

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Desperate for Lawn League packs

News Credits:
    I'm all for no big-time mass-changing, as long as they allow subtle mass change to allow the Seekers to be around the same size as the larger "normal-sized" TFs.

8. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    i believe the "compression example was more for things like Broadside turning from a jet to an Aircraft carrier (they made that why his Aircraft carrier mode was so fragile, it was incredibly thin) and Seekers ending up 1/2ish their 'scale' height, i believe the description for the 'microchange' type characters was different, more along the 'subspace' fan description (i could be wrong, though, it's been a while since i read that)

9. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Agreed. I'm glad they ditched the mass-shifting personally. Also, everyone is assuming that there will be a whole Seeker team in the movie. Starscream may be the only Seeker and large jet in the first movie. As much as I'd like to see at least a three member Seeker team, we may only have to worry about one really large Starscream.

I also think that any Decpticon's immense size against Prime may not be an issue towards the end of the movie. With the great popularity of Prime having a "Mega-mode", I have a feeling that we may see Prime have a PowerMaster/Super Ginrai mode for the final battle of the movie.

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No big loss for me. And I'm quite sure they were talking about the -obvious- stuff, like huge robots turning into teeny things. I tend to assume there is a -bit- of parts-mushing for the sake of aesthetics.

Anyway, I find myself more hyped at the prospect of Megatron and Soundwave having slightly more threatening altmodes. :D 

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Meh, fine with me. And as for the characters being to scale, has it been written any stone anywhere that the characters will retain their G1 transformations? I don't think so. Granted there's only so many ways you can turn a car or jet into a robot, but I think there's a good chance there will be plenty of facelifts beyond what we're expecting.

12. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will give you Beast Wars/Machines...they were the best thought out shows of all of them..TF the Movie was phenomenal....the rest of the cartoons you list are crap. The G1 cartoon was Oscar worthy compared to the same rehashed storyline they have given us in the other shows.

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Wow, have you even watched Galaxy FOrce at all? It has some quite well written plots, though elements of the ending were disapointing. I admit that Energon was terrible except for the first few episodes when Demolisher was an amazing character. But Armada had a damn good ending despite the rest of it being so-so to crap. But G1 is only good on a comedic "the '80s were a strange time" level. That being said, what does size shifting have to do with story quality at all? :rolleyes: 
    I don't like mass shifting, but size shifting would be cool. THink of this:
    A guy walks along and sees what looks like an iPod lying on the sidewalk. He tries to pick it up, but it refuses to budge. He walks away, annoyed. Cut to night. The iPod pops up and turns into Soundwave. Or better yet, the hilarity if he did it while the guy was tugging at it on the ground.

14. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

G1 was oscar worthy?!?! :lol  :lol 

G1 and oscar worthy do not fit in the same sentence;) 

15. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm fine with this. Having things go from massive (Broadside example) or minuscule (Perceptor) to the same size as a robot from a Freightliner semi is going to be hard to easily explain to a "virgin" TF audience.

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    No it wasn't. The cartoon was a tv show, the Oscars are for movies. The only award that the cartoon would have been eligible for would be a Daytime Emmy. And I'm not even sure if that award has a category for cartoons.

:p 

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    No mass shifting? Ok. It was obvious since the beginning. :D 

18. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

What do they mean by Mass shifting?

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Mass shifting = a huge robot being able to transform into a tiny tape recorder or gun.

20. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, not only are they eligible, but Beast Wars did in fact, win an Emmy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.