Confirmed by Roberto Orci: No Mass Shifting

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

OH NOES!!! It's not teh Geewun!!!

I personally think it's a good idea. And like someone said before, they found a way aruond it in the DW comics, and I'm sure they can do something similar for the movie to make the jets and cars be roughly the same size. I think they mean that they're going to avoid any really unbelieve mass and size shifts, i.e. a handgun or tapeplayer.

2. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I think it makes it more believable and realistic which is always a plus.

3. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

This just in: the Movie is 5 min. long. The Decepticons won the war in 2 min. :confused2 

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No mass shifting? No Rumble, Frenzy, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw. Well, I've already stated this Movie may not look like anything since 1984. Without mass shifting, Transformers are one step closer to all those other genereic giant robots. Power Rangers anyone?

5. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    Like a Cell Phone. or even better an iPod. :lol 

6. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Overreaction, anyone? :peoples: 

7. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Yes, because Power Rangers features armies of sentient alien transforming robots, lead by robots need Optimus and Megatron. :rolleyes: 

8. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry, haven't read through all the posts, so I'm sure this has been covered, but without mass shifting, wouldn't that make:

Autobot cars = 13-16 feet tall
    Prime = about 26 feet tall
    Megs = about 30 feet tall
    Seekers = about 60 feet tall

I have no problem with the first three, but Starscream being twice the height of Megatron is a little troublesome.

9. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

"No mass shifting" What is that supposed to mean?

10. Master Fwiffo

News Credits:
    It means Megatron will not be a Handgun, and Soundwave will not be a tape deck.

11. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

Give or take... I worked out a tank Megatron robot mode as being about 34 feet - based on the G2 megatron transformation model - and the abrams M1A1 tank - which is still a third again taller than prime would be (about 21 feet acording to my calculations - which are based on a 1970's Kenworth K-Series COE truck ).

I suppose you could just have megs transform into a twenty foot long tank... But at that point you'd be as well just making him a Humvee.

I don't know why they don't go for "no extreme mass shifting". Just let both cars and F15 both transform into similar size robots - but not let anyone transform into weapons, toasters or any other domestic appliances.

12. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

I think that is exactly the thing. There will probably be some size shunting.

Unless there is some subplot in the movie that can deal with Starscream being massively huge. Kind of like getting his hand on the Energon Matrix (that it will most likely be called) and trying to eradicate Megatron only to get pwned really hard.

Who knows.

Anyway. Its allways good to hear its still being worked on.

13. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Mmm a movie about how Starscream and the seekers utterly destroy the Autobots and rip Megatron to shreads. I like that movie, hurray with no mass shifting !!

If they keep the seekers as giants, I bet they'll make them very very stupid. We won't be able to see a treacherous Starscream, just a very dumb one that does everything Megatron says.

Or they just base them off smaller jets.

14. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think there are manned military jets small enough to make the Seekers on par size-wise with ground-vehcilular TF's.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay Wreckie, I'll stick to Decaff today. :confused2  I will miss the mass shifting though. I always thought it was one of the true signatures of Transformers.

16. Master Fwiffo

News Credits:
    Which is why it hasn't been used since the early first few waves of G1.

17. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

You do realize that Transformers has done well over the past decade WITHOUT mass shifting right?

Mass shifting hasn't existed in the 'toon since '87

Beast Wars/Machines
    RID
    Armada
    Energon
    Cybertron

Good solid shows WITHOUT mass shifting

Besides what's to miss?Seeing Perceptor go from giant robot to the a hand-held microsope was pretty dumb.And the movie will be better without it

People talk about "Respecting the source material"

As long as

1)They're from Cybertron
    2)There are Autobots and Decepticons
    3)Land on earth
    4)Leaders are Optimus Prime and Megatron;I only say this because it's been a staple since the begining

I call that respecting the source material

18. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

I would have to disagree with that assesment - those show might not have the extreme mass/size shifting of G1, but it does certainly happen. For instance, in Cybertron human regularly clime inside of minicons that are then human sized in robot mode. In Armada Hot Shot and Starscream regularly engaged in hand to hand combat - and their heights then were not too different - but in Jet mode - Starscream was much much bigger.

Call it artistic licence if you like, call it mass/size shifting... but it does happen, and I'm not sure that vehicle bassed Transformers can really work without it.

19. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Great! The Giant Transforming (into things on earth) lazer shooting intelligent robots from space don't change size! What a realistic movie.

20. DanLyons

DanLyons Little-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't know - it would depend strongly on the script on how it was played out.

If the sides are even I don't know if it would work - Megatron and three fighter jet-sized Seekers alone should be able to thump Prime and 4 or 5 car-sized Autobots. Even if their weapons were equivalent in power, a Seeker could take more damage than an Autobot car.

BUT, if there were fewer Decepticons, say 1/2 to 1/3 of the Autobot numbers (and they could be generic background Autobots with no direct part in the story), then there's potential for the size ratio to be a story point. I'd wouldn't mind seeing a conflict where the Autobots have to have a strong strategy to prevail over the individually more-powerful Decepticons. If Prime was a semi and Megatron a tank they'd be close enough that they could go head-to-head as long as the larger Seekers were otherwise occupied by the other Autobots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.