Concepts you hate that everyone loves

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rexidus, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Securis

Securis Arcee Fanboy

A fanfic?

I think Roddy is actually pretty popular, but of course he's burdened with having caused the death of the most iconic and beloved character in the history of the franchise. He's bound to catch some flak. But I've talked to a lot of fans, mostly from the UK, who like him better than Optimus because they had minimal exposure to the cartoon and most of their experience was with the comic. Years later when they were able to see all of the G1 toon on VHS or DVD, they didn't have the emotional connection to Optimus, so they identified with/liked Roddy more in that too.

2. DeadLocke

DeadLocke Well-Known Member

Multiversal singularities/ any idea of a multiverse.- I don't get the need to have all of the 'universes' connected. They should each be their own thing and be done with it.

Transformers 'Gods'- Don't mind the idea of a deity, just not one as 100% known to exist. There is no mystery.

Beast Wars being tied into G1.-Maybe for it's time it might have needed the notoriety of G1, but I hate that most sparks just end up consumed by Megatron 2.0 and then given up into the Allspark when he dies. Isn't that a sucky ending to G1, that even if they'd won the war, they still get a crappy future?
    Like a previous poster, I'd just have to look at it as a hybrid variant of G1 continuity to accept it, not as the true continuation of G1.

Sparks- If the Tfs have no 'sparks,' then it becomes even more spooky when you get visited by their ghosts. Not so much when it's just seen as a glowing energy ball riding around in a mechanical body. It's another reason why I like the G1 cartoon, no sparks.

Movie Arcee triplets.- I hate the unicycle design. Plus they should be individuals, not one mind in three bodies.

3. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Peter Cullen as Prime.

His voice is iconic, but the man's getting old and it shows. It's only a matter of time before the torch is passed to someone else.

4. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Yes, his age definably shows. And I think in the last few years I've heard his voice starting to falter.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Listen to him in Fall of Cybertron. That game he gets to show his acting props better than the movies or Prime. If you still feel that way then fine, but i disagree. :) 

6. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

To everyone noting Beast Wars and it's continuity, I'm pretty sure they'd meant for the show to be in continuity with the Marvel Comics in some way (the Vok were apparently meant to have once been the Swarm, plus the show has a little more in common with the comics than it did with the Sunbow Cartoon). But taking into account it's similarities to both, I'm pretty sure the show unintentionally became that very hybrid continuity you imagine it as (being that the show was actually very vague as to which G1 continuity it was apart of, leaving it open to interpretation).

Anyway, what I have to say:

-Robotic Beast Modes. Sure, for the larger bots, trying to look like a two story tall Cheetah is probably a stupid idea and the Dinobots and any giant Insect/Arachnid transformer can't blend in anywhere convincingly, but why not have smaller robots turn into convincing looking beast modes? Or have we forgotten the whole "Robots in Disguise" thing that this whole franchise was supposed to be based around? For the smaller bots that can actually pull it off, why can't they just turn into an animal and actually look the part (be it with synthetic skin or some kind of Holomatter shell, doesn't matter)? It sure would make a lot more sense.

-The G1 Cartoon in general (barring certain aspects and ideas, such as the possibility of Quintesson's involvment in the creation of the Transformers).

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I hate having the main Seekers having a common body. Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker all act different. Their bodies and alt modes should represent that.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    That reminds me of another concept I dislike.

I'm not a fan of the robots in disguise mantra. They never hide themselves. They never hesitate to transform. They have bright odd colors with huge faction symbols. They are awful disguises.

9. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate good chars written badly. I mean we have so many different version of chars some are better than others.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, 'cause most people just love that. :) 

11. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Female Transformers. I get them from a marketing perspective - make the characters more human, and give the girls a character to identify with. And used well, you can get some good stories using the concept. But as someone with a degree in Biology, they don't make much sense to me. There's the Creation Matrix and Vector Sigma and the Allspark for creating new TFs - from a biological standpoint there's no reason for sexual dimorphism. They're not human, or even Terrestrial, so why would they have genders like us? Well, apart from Quintesson marketing, that is . . .

12. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Insectoid Decepticons

Drastically humanized or vehicular faces.

So Bay designs overall.

13. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Fembots were made so the Quintessons could have something nice to look at...they're perverts that way.

14. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

Well, by that token, why are there male Transformers? You know, with male-sounding voices, who walk and talk and have the mannerisms of the "typical" American male?

I get it the "ungendered species" argument, but they aren't really ungendered when they're acting like and sounding like a bunch of guys. Like, if you had nothing but fembots on the show, that wouldn't be ungendered either.

15. DeadLocke

DeadLocke Well-Known Member

Well, think of it this way, if the first three ways go belly up for any reason, having males and females is another way to ensure their race survives. And females might be smaller to allow for more of their resources to be taken by the young (though gestating) instead of working to power a giant body like in the males.

Reproducing in this manner is a far far cruder and more 'biological' method, but would you want your entire race dependent on an outside device just to reproduce? What if it's destroyed? Then your whole race is screwed.

It's not perfect, but some of the most successful species have more then one method of reproducing as a 'backup.' For those just in case moments ;) 

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Actually Beast Wars wasn't even supposed to be tied to TFs at all in the beginning. It was an afterthought in the process, which is why the logos are so small where it says Transformers. The G1 stuff was added after the start of the series, which is why I dislike it being there in the first place.

17. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

Yeah, it seemed really slapped on, even with the inclusion of starscream late in season 1. But even that didn't match up because Galvatron was the leader starscream betrayed in that instance.

18. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

About Beast Wars . . . around that time (late 1990s), Hasbro had just bought out Kenner. Some Kenner employees on the design level were unhappy, as they felt they had lost their autonomy. When they were assigned both Transformers and My Little Pony, they purposely took "bold new directions", as a way to sort of flex their muscles and say, "Look, we're still here! We have input!"

(I gleaned all this from the personal website of an ex-Kenner employee that I found in, ohhh, the early 2000s or so.)

My Little Pony flopped in the US (this was the short-lived G2 toyline from 1997 to 1999) but Transformers Beast Wars did well. It WAS meant to be Transformers from the get-go.

However, being tied directly to G1 came later.

19. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

Eh that was actually a weird quirk of '80s cartoons. On Care Bears they'd occasionally refer to characters as "he" even when they were clearly being voiced by women, lol.

So I'm perfectly willing to say the Transformers are ungendered in the spirit of '80s inconsistency. :D 

20. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Bayformers: Just the whole wadded up tinfoil man with car parts dangling off look. They don't look like anything. There's a such thing as too much detail.

The grimdark: A TF series can be dark and be good, but there's a point at which authors are just throwing in lots of meaningless death and destruction that really does nothing to further the story and starts to sound like a 13 year old's fanfic.

Overpowered leaders: In G1 Optimus was good at a little of everything but he wasn't the best at any one thing (aside from leadership). Similarly the cons had guys stronger than Megatron, faster, and even with more firepower, but none quite as ruthless. Let leaders be leaders and not one man armies that render their entire faction redundant.

Dead Cybertron: Sure cybertron can be in crisis, but I'd prefer the idea of a war spanning two living worlds.

IDW comics: It's not so much the comics themselves, there are just too many of them. I can't keep up with what's going on where, and what is in which continuity. I gave up after a while. How about just ONE Transformers comic series, either set in an existing continuity or its own.

Shoehorning Grimlock into pre-earth G1 cartoon continuity: He was built on Earth, deal with it.

Animated: I know I said I don't like TFs being TOO dark but this....I just don't get it. I tried but...I just don't get it.

Cybertronian jet Megatron: Seriously there are lots of Earth forms that would be excellent displays of military power. Tanks, Jets, helicopters, gunships, howitzers, various artilery. There's more forms for him to choose from today in terms of military might than ever, but he just turns into a mess of robot parts splayed out to look roughly like a jet. If he's not going to take on an Earth mode, and they're going to go vague with his alt mode, at least give us more mode to work with. Cybertron gave us a Triple changer and even earlier than that we had a sixchanger. Sure neither looked like an earth mode, but both took advantage of not needing to look like a cohesive earth vehicle. The cybertronian jet mode just feels lazy.