Completionists... YAY! or NAY!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shishabutt, Jun 12, 2015.

1. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

Not really one. I usually get what I like. But for the animated shows, like some others, I try to get the whole cast.

2. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Old):
    I could never buy toys I don't like.

3. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Nay.

I buy what I like. There just so happens to be a lot of stuff out recently that I like.

4. HairyDawg

HairyDawg UGA - Go Dawgs!

I think this is much easier to do for subsets or specific lines, like Masterpiece. With the MP line there isn't one of them I don't like, so I don't feel like I am buying something just to complete the collection. For the mainstream line there are many I don't like, don't want, or just don't have room for. Those I can easily pass up.

On a totally unrelated note... If anyone has a MP-01 Gold lucky draw or a reasonably priced MP-07 Thundercracker, drop me a line. They are the only 2 I don't have now. :) 

5. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

The piss poor distribution of the cw figures has saved me 100's of dollars most likely

I email hasbro about this monthly

The thing I always end up chuckling about with my collecting is that . No one will ever care about my collection like me. Very few people, like no one actually looks at my collection. My wife and kids see the mp's in the case. But my comics/trades/digital and toys are stocked away as my own precious. My box collection is its own monster also.

I had a crazy run with a iPad marvel game. It worked on my collectors bug hard unlocking characters and getting weapons and buff's. I broke away from that but not before they got me for what could of been several mp's. Would have been money better spent

I had a solid run with marvel 3.75 characters till the marvel universe line kind of died off for a while and new figures quit hitting the shelf. I resisted the 6 inch figures for as long as a could till I bought 1. Then 2. Then realized my Black panther and several other figures I had from the previous line scaled perfect. Then I bought like 15 in 2 weeks. Fortunately here also, hasbro's piss poor shelf stocking and crappy waves of new product saved me some money. Nothing there to get right now. Except that spider woman I'm playing hard to get with.

6. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Completionists... I can be prone to that kind of mindset/ocd. And because of that, I have never played Pokemon (gotta catch em all!) or MMO games. (spend hours trying to get rare equipment stuff) And I force-taught myself early on to not care about those 'achievements/trophies' in video games. I had witnessed some of my friends obsessing over those, and it was scary.

However, I would love to get a complete MP figure season 1 cast, eventually. That is fairly doable.

I am guilty of buying TFP Airachnid whatever her name is, just because I loved the show, and her character in said show, fully aware that her deluxe class figure was garbage.

7. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

The thing I find out having completionist tendencies is that it's almost as bad a collecting a whole line...you still go through the same wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth trying to get whatever 'you' consider 'complete'.

Take for example my Leader movie bots. To me, I wanted one Leader mold of each character from whatever their 'best' representation was. So I ended up buying whatever Leaders were available from ROTF onwards.

Which means I bought a few that I didn't really want...like Ironhide (who I still think looks pretty cool) and Sentinel Prime (man, if he only stood up on his own accord I'd actually like him). And I also got AOE Leader Grimlock, and...he's still in the box, that's what kind of obligation purchase it was (at least it was inexpensive).

I have no desire to buy complete lines, but my own idea of what my 'complete' collection is still makes for some hard choices. I want one of each post MP10 MP, and even if I don't particularly care about a character (hey, like most of the Autobots :D  ) , these are auto-purchases for me. I will keep buying until they end the line. At least I'm able to stay within my restraints of on-screen Sunbow cartoon characters. But even Black Convoy got through my radar, so...anything is possible.

Completionism could be as simple as wanting all the Hasbro Stunticons from CW...or as massive as ALL G1 TOYS...I don't see myself doing anything as grand as a whole line, but in some ways, I guess that's what MP is like for me. But Soundblaster sure is pushing his case, and Black Lambor is, simply put, wicked in black.

So yeah, that's it :D 

8. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    alternity. complete. pic coming soon

9. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    no, never again.

10. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    not a completionist. I just get the ones I want and let the others.. I dunno not come in my collection I guess. I primarily collect CHUG but I don't want Skullgrin so I'm not getting Skullgrin. And others of course.

11. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

^This^

12. Alterator

Alterator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, I have become a completionist. And the nature of all TF lines - the dreaded repaints - make it an expensive habit :) 

13. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    When I started collecting in 09 I wanted to be the guy that had it ALL. (I was in Middle School)

Now that I'm older I've focused more on CHUG, Prime, Movies, & Animated with some SG, WFC/FOC, & TFCC on the sideline. I use to want to collect G1 but I hate the aesthetic and I found Masterpiece a waste so there are lines I don't find appealing. Now in lines themselves I've gotten selective on what I buy, like how I'm currently skipping over most of the CW Leaders and some Legends like Warpath, Windcharger, & Wreck Gar yet trying to buy ALL the Deluxes & Voyagers. And in RiD15 I'm only getting some Warriors and Legion Fixit. Other than that I try to be a completionist, with the Thrilling 30 line last year I bought every Deluxe, Voyager, & Leader!

So yay & nay?

14. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

I only think i could be a completionist of certain characters. For example: Breakdown that's a realistic goal of completing all of a character compared to say Optimus who would be impossible to be a completionist of.

15. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Completionism was a truckload easier when the lines were smaller, better distributed, and more even quality. I wouldn't even think of trying to do that now outside of maybe Takara's MP line.

16. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil TFW2005 Supporter

Nay, I only got what I like.

17. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Completionist is an ambiguous term; complete what?...a line, a team? Some figures from a certain era, episode?

If taken to the extreme, and by completionist you mean, "Gotta have it ALL!"..then that's only as bad as your situation allows. You have the money?..the desire, the space? Fill your boots. Who am I, or we, to judge? We're all so afraid of hoarding behaviour, but there are some who simply are able to collect it all...so they do. I can't see it working for me, or for most, but if it can be done (and there's plenty here who have), then it's not a problem.

I consider myself a completionist in ways. I gotta have all the G1 Insecticons. Sure, it's only three...but I can't have just one or two. Three. Same goes for the Constructicons. I might not like Scrapper much, but I like the team enough to own it all. And so on.

So much like everything in life, 'yay' or 'nay' is subjective. If taken to extremes by people who can't afford it, 'nay'. For those treat it in moderation that doesn't detract from quality of life, 'yay'.

I consider myself a completionist.

18. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    best i can do for now. the special releases were solid boxes, i assure anyone that cares they are filled with the proper Alternity

Attached Files:

19. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    If that's what makes you happy go for it. Im a typical collector I guess. I buy what I like and can afford, but I do have some quirks. I'd like to complete certain teams in the same toyline or at least the same size.

It's the only reason I haven't gone after CW Sunstreaker as much as I want him, because I want Sideswipe to go with him.

I desperately want the other Rainmakers so my Acid Storm won't be alone. Even if I hafta get them customized.

20. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    This is the truth