Minor/Repaint: Completed YOTH Masterpiece OP Trailer (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thebandwagon, Jul 10, 2014.

1. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

So after having shelved the project for a couple of weeks, I cracked down yesterday morning through today, and with a few metallic and plain Sharpies, a couple of things of paint, and some tooth picks, I was able to finish my YOTH Masterpiece OP trailer!

Now for most of the detailing I used a couple sizes of plain black Sharpies, then I used silver, gold, and bronze metallic Sharpies as well. I have pipes painted red, blue, and orange on the sides near the top sections of the trailer, then I have details on all control panels between the repair drone and the two control booths in red, blue, and silver. I also made the two monitors near the back of the trailer blue with silver keys.

First off, as I said in my WIP thread, I love the detailing, and as much as I enjoy a clear trailer because I love weird figures, I prefer a semi normal representation of a Masterpiece OP as it is my only figure from the mold. I also really love the maroon and gold Autobot logos and the YOTH logo on the rear. I went about painting the inside of the trailer with a hammered metal finish, then painted the bottom and the supports on the exterior black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do love steampunk style as well, so I really like how the underside turned out, no matter how simple it is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a while to get all of these details done in Sharpie, but it would have taken much longer if I had opted for hand-painting everything. I know many people will say that Sharpies suck, but up until yesterday I was a skeptic as well.
    [​IMG]

The recessed parts on each of the panels running down the center of the trailer were painted red with the help of a toothpick.
    [​IMG]

The control booths on the right and left were both painted black, then some silver and bronze was added along with some details in red, blue, and orange for the controls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The repair drone was done in that same black with similar detailing with the supports of the arm outlined in silver and bronze. Most of the joints were given detailing in bronze and gold, and most of the vents were done in silver and bronze. The interior control panels were given similar treatment as the others.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, most of the detailing work went into the side panels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The command station/repair bay mode is where this trailer shines.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also love how the gun looks when the bronze and gold are utilized in the details as the colors complement quite nicely.
    [​IMG]

And now for the obligatory Optimus shots!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran out photo space for this one haha.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally a couple of shots of the trailer with the lovely Reprolabeled Springer!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's it! Now I know it's far from perfect I love how it looks all the same. As always, comments and critiques are always appreciated, and thanks for taking a look!

Attached Files:

2. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Fantastic!!

3. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

Looks great !

4. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Gosh I envy you, wished I had the time & resources to do it too.

Good job bro!

5. rafikoncept

rafikoncept Member

I love it... Good job! Looks very "tech" :) 

6. TF Collector

TF Collector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice

7. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Did you unpin the parts to do this, or just keep it together?

8. Slaglock

Slaglock Well-Known Member

So..much....painting. you sir are dedicated. Very nice work :) 

9. thebandwagon

It actually didn't take all that long once I had painted the black and silver, since most of the detailing was done with Sharpies haha. And all of the stuff was relatively cheap and easy to find, I had Sharpies around the house, the spray paint only used a small amount from each can, and the acrylic was found in a set of Testors acrylics that I got for like $13 at a local hobby shop.

Well I disassembled it for most of the main chunks minus the pins since the ones holding the side panels in place are gargantuan, and quite a pain in the neck to fiddle with. That said, I did remove the top, the front, diassembled most of the base panel, removed the control booths, and the repair drone.

Anywho, thanks you guys! The response is appreciated since I don't get to do much for customs as often as I'd like, so it's nice to see that people don't think I'm doing too bad for a beginner haha.

10. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

That's extremely kick-ass looking.

11. thebandwagon

Thanks! I wanted it to look as good as the mold for the trailer really is, so I wanted to give that level of detail while giving it all my own twist. I'm really glad it turned out how it did!